LF 2007 Audi A4 (Quattro) trunk lid

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just curious if anyone here knows of a 2007 Audi trunk lid for sale within striking distance of the GTA?

Looking for one for my daughters car, her trunk lid has a 10cm squarish rusted out hole and I think to get that fixed at a bodyshop would cost more than it's worth.
Thx

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just curious if anyone here knows of a 2007 Audi trunk lid for sale within striking distance of the GTA?

Looking for one for my daughters car, her trunk lid has a 10cm squarish rusted out hole and I think to get that fixed at a bodyshop would cost more than it's worth.
Thx
Isn't the Audi rust warranty the same as VW (12 years)?

Have you tried calling a dealer to see if they will cover it?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't the Audi rust warranty the same as VW (12 years)? Have you tried calling a dealer to see if they will cover it?
Unfortunately if this would have had some touch up paint on it right from the get go it would not have advanced to this stage Nigel. It's not just surface rust, it's about a 10cm square hole.

As a temporary stop gap I used some shiny red duct tape to close it.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Unfortunately if this would have had some touch up paint on it right from the get go it would not have advanced to this stage Nigel. It's not just surface rust, it's about a 10cm square hole.

As a temporary stop gap I used some shiny red duct tape to close it.
Touch up paint or anything over the rust voids the warranty (happened to me). If the rust is caused by the license plate rubbing against it, it voids the warranty too.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Touch up paint or anything over the rust voids the warranty (happened to me). If the rust is caused by the license plate rubbing against it, it voids the warranty too.
What I'm saying is that as soon as a tiny spot is noticed, then apply touch up paint. Letting it go does not help. On her trunk lid it is to the right of the tail lights and just below the fake spoiler. A vertical surface.

My former 2002 Jetta had NO rust whatsoever. As soon as I saw a stone chip it was cleaned and color matched touch up paint applied.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
As imo said, if you had used any touch up paint, it would NOT be covered, so good thing you didn't. If it is rusted right through, it should absolutely be covered under the 12 year perforation warranty. Remove the duct tape and take it to a dealer to get a definitive answer.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nigel, I'll tell my daughter, but I think it is beyond that since the hole is big enough to push the head of a very large screwdriver through. She won't take the car to a car wash, I suppose because water will get into the trunk.
Should have been looked after long ago.

BTW: I have located a new used lid for $ 100.00 so now it's up to my daughter how she want's to go about it.

You can tell she's my daughter,
but you can't tell her anything ! :rolleyes:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nigel, I'll tell my daughter, but I think it is beyond that since the hole is big enough to push the head of a very large screwdriver through. She won't take the car to a car wash, I suppose because water will get into the trunk.
Should have been looked after long ago.

BTW: I have located a new used lid for $ 100.00 so now it's up to my daughter how she want's to go about it.

You can tell she's my daughter,
but you can't tell her anything ! :rolleyes:
Where did you get the idea that it is beyond the warranty? The warranty is for perforation. Perforation = Hole. Just take it to the dealer and they will replace it for FREE!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll inform my daughter about this, that she should go and see an Audi dealer.
Thx

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Apparently my daughter is the 3rd owner of the car. She bought it from a friend when the car was 3 years old. Either the friend had an accident or the 1st owner did. She had already been to Audi and there she was informed that at least the trunk lid has been repainted? Which leads me to think that the 1st owner probably did not disclose an accident to the friend (2nd owner) and consequently my daughter. Can't see another reason for at the time a 2 year old car having the trunk repainted?
So she's SOL and has to foot the bill.

So ends the saga.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or the trunk was damaged during shipping from the factory and got repainted by the dealership before it was sold to the original owner. I would further dig into this by contacting the dealerhip.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finished now.
My daughter took it in somewhere and had a "Grade A" trunk lid installed and paint matched to her car to the tune of $ 500.00

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
What a shame. There were dozens of A4's in the wreckers. I'm sure she could have found one the same colour and saved $$$ on the paint part of the swap. The mechanical is less than half an hour to transfer the lock and swap the lid. Should have cost no more than $200 all in.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What a shame. There were dozens of A4's in the wreckers. I'm sure she could have found one the same colour and saved $$$ on the paint part of the swap. The mechanical is less than half an hour to transfer the lock and swap the lid. Should have cost no more than $200 all in.
Nigel as I said before:

You can tell she is my daughter.
but you can't tell her anything!

Takes after her mother in that respect.

I had found a lid for $ 100.00 maybe another $ 100.00 tops to paint. I would have swapped them out.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This isn't Mexico, it will cost a lot more than $100 to paint it and takes more than 30 minutes to change out the lid too. I think she paid a fair price.