Please help!!!! Tdi swap into 93 Toyota pick no throttle

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Hello everyone, so I'm new to this forum but I'm stuck I have a 93 Toyota pickup that used to have a 3.0 in it and I decided to put a 1.9 tdi Alh in it. The swap had gone good so for but I have hit a wall and I can't get through it. I've went through all the other forums of ppl that did this swap and even ppl that have had this problem in there cars and I can't find an answer. I have the motor in the truck and running. It will sit and idle at 1200 rpm and the throttle will not do anything I bought a brand new throttle and put that it and it was no help. I've went over the wiring so many time it's burned into my head:D. But I just don't know where to go from here. Anything would be very appreciated!!!!

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
1200 rpm idle is your clue here.

Assuming the ECU acts the same on ALH as 1Z/AHU, the engine will not rev above 1200 if the brake is depressed...

sooooo, the ECU probably thinks that the brake is on, the question is why?

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Exactly, I thought the same thing about the brake switch but the thing that confused me is I don't have the brake switch wired in so it shouldn't think it's on right? I assumed that when the ecu gets 12 volts from the brake ditch then it would stop the rev at 1200 but if it's not wired in at all the. It would never get the 12 volts and never tell it to limit it at 1200 rpm? And the other thing is that it immediately goes to 1200 rpm as soon as I start it and it stays there.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
It doesn't idle at 1200 if the brake is on, only if there is no signal from the throttle pedal. Having the brake pressed and pushing the throttle will limit the engine to 1200rpm, once, the next press is normal. Check vcds for throttle position working properly

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The ECU monitors the brake lights and brake switch. If either malfunctions, the glow plug light will flash if setup in your conversion or as in the original car.

I installed the brake switch on my Conversion project for the purposes of kicking out the Cruise. I also installed a light for the ECU to monitor. Those two circuits are separate as the OE brake switch contains two separate contacts.

If my brake switch hangs or the pedal doesn't completely push it shut, the ECU defaults to normal idle, 903 RPM. I have had a few 1200 RPM idles but the accelerator was responsive. A re-start cleared-up that issue. I forget the code(s), but I feel pretty certain it had anything to do with the brake switch.

As Victor suggested, check for codes with VCDS......... (don't tell us you never installed the OBD port)

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Ok, I do have the obd port installed and I ordered a vcds and it is on its way it should be here soon. I wanted to hook up just a regular code reader first to see what it's says but that won't show me throttle position. And I will wire in the brake switch this weekend just to see if it makes a difference. I did also buy a new maf and plug for the maf because I saw on some other forums that the maf could also cause this problem but the new maf didn't help at all. So I will wait to I get the vcds and plug it in and tell you guys what I see thank you all!!!!!!!

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
So I check the codes and I got p0226, p1441, p1650, p1619, p0380. I know the p0226 is the throttle position sensor but like I said in a previous post mine is brand new and the p0380 is the glow plug heater? I've ohmed out all the wire that go to the ecu and I have a goo connection from the pedal to the ecu but it still says it's at 1300 rpm and it won't rev? Any ideas?

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
One other thing I wanted to add was that now I can't see that my tps is working via vagcom and it is telling the computer to rev it will go from 6 all the way up through to 100 when I push the throttle but still no rev ? So I know the ecu is getting the signal and he tps is working but it still won't work. Is the throttle supposed to be at 6 at idle? Also when I ohmed out the wires going from the ecu To the plug on the pedal i got a high resistance on the white blue wire? It was about 30 ohms when all the rest were 0.0 to 0.4, could that affect it?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
How about the circuits from the ECU to the IP? Did you do any splices? If so, those may be suspect.

When I did my Conversion project, I soldered every splice..... which resulted in numerous DTCs, particularly with the Throttle Position Sensor circuits. So, I went back and cut out all those splices. In the re-splice procedure, I twisted the wires and used shrink tube. Other than an occasional hanging of the brake pedal on re-bound, I've not had anymore DTCs relating to the TPS.

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Yea it is a diesel pedal. I called my local vw dealer and got the part number that they would use for my car to get the most recent version in case they updated it somehow. And yes Andy the guy I got the motor from for the swap had cut all the wire that go to the ip so I soldered all the cuts back together and shrink tubes them but I might not have got a good connection in there somewhere? I'll check all the connections and get back to you thank you all!! And one other thing, since my pedal remains at 6 all the time should I they to adjust it to 0 by adjusting the cover or will it go to 0 when I get it out of limp mode?

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
I remember that when I took my pedal apart the cover does slide with ovalized mounting holes such that you can adjust endpoints. I bet the problem is that since the computer never sees 0% throttle it won't reset to the normal driving condition, without the brake light switch signal to computer hooked up. Without any wire on that signal it isn't grounded so the computer always thinks the brakes are on.

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Ok but what I don't understand is it is a brand new throttle oem why would it be out of range right from the dealer ? And if I put the old throttle back in it does the exact same thing. What are the odds they are both out of range? I thought the ecu was putting it a 6 because it's in limp mode? I mean I can adjust it down to 0 and see what happens and with the brake switch I don't think the brake would be a hound it would just be either 0 volts or 12 volts ?

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
I have some questions with the 14 pin plug, pin 5 and 6 on that plug should they have constant power or just power when it starts and then the ecu provides its power?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looking at the "Accelerator Switch" as a whole, it appears to be composed of three components;

F60 > Closed Throttle Position Switch
F8 > Kick-down Switch
G79 > Throttle Position Sensor

There are 6 circuits going to it from the ECU.

Internal of the switch, it appears there are: Two Resistors (each on separate circuits), a Thermal Temperature Dependent Resistor, and Mechanical Switch.

It appears they are all connected or will be connected depending on the angle of the pedal (really guessing here).

I have no clue, since I have no info, as to which of the pins from the ECU are hot or when they are hot.

But, based on the location of the regular resistors, I'd say Circuit 6 and 4 are always hot when the ignition is ON. They appear to provide power to the other 4 circuits.

At the moment, my Printer/Scanner is down. Thus, I have no way to scan this schematic for posting.

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
So I have some new news, today I hooked up the one wire for the brake switch that tells the ecu when the brake is pushed and now when I start the motor it will idle really high( about 1400rpm) and then I can pushy the throttle one time and it will idle down to 850rpm and then right away it will go to 1200 rpm( limp mode) and I will lose all throttle control again. And that seems to be the only thing I can get out of it? If I remove and reattach the brake wire while it is still running it won't make a difference and if I clear the code it will no longer idle down( it would idle down if I start it and it goes right to limp mode then clear the codes). I'm not sure what this means. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Without any wire on that signal it isn't grounded so the computer always thinks the brakes are on.
I may have spoken too soon. I sent my friend instructions on how to do this but accidentally gave him the pins that would hook up the brake cruise cancel, and it fixed his issue. When I fixed it on my car, I hooked up both brake signals and assumed it was the one for the light.

I also checked his engine with VCDS over the weekend and his throttle position shows 010 but 1.6%. It seems that the 1 changes to a 0 around 6 or 7%.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Have you tried adjusting to pedal to get 0%? I'm actually not certain if that it is possible to adjust it, I just remember that inside of the pedal has the sensor on the lid, and the mounting holes are ovalized, so I assume it can be rotated and changed. I took mine apart, then regretted it, so I lined up the imprinted screw head marks back to where they were and left it alone. Maybe you should mark the original location just to be safe.

If you try it, try to do it with the pedal hooked up the car to watch the numbers change on VCDS as you slide the cover.

How certain are you that the wire harness was made correctly?

Last edited:

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
So what are your thoughts about the brake pedal switch? What pins do I have to have hooked up? And yes i did try to adjust the pedal with the motor running and with vcds attached, when i moved the cover around the engine idled up to about 1300 rpm, which is weird since it's in limp mode i didn't think it would idle up? but it would barely make any adjustments on the vcds it went from 6%to 7%. so put it back where it was and figured it was just there because that is where the ecm sets it for and idle. as for the wire harness i am not 100% sure it is correct because it is the first time i'm doing a swap with a vw motor and i'm not sure what all they absolutely need. i have read almost all the forums that have the necessary wiring for theses motors and people that have done this swap trying to make sure i have all the right things hooked up. but that the main reason for starting this thread was to see if anyone has had there problems and figure out it was just something that wasn't wired correctly.

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Wednesday,27,September,2017,19:22:12:48505
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1 (x64) HEX-V2 CB: 0.4401.4
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readiness Status: 10000101 01110111 10000000 10000000
MIL Status: MIL ON
Comprehensive Components: Failed or Incomplete
Fuel System: Failed or Incomplete
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Failed or Incomplete
Number of EOBD-related DTC(s): 5

Wednesday,27,September,2017,19:54:47:48505
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1 (x64) HEX-V2 CB: 0.4401.4
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 01: Engine (038 906 012 CP)

19:54:31 Group 000: Testing Dynamic Start of Injection
043 Engine speed (G28) - Specification (Idle): 41...46 (861...950 RPM) | (Full Load): 138...148 (2900...3100 RPM)
055 Start of Injection - Specification (Idle): 12...75 (2 °ATDC ... 4 °BTDC) | (Full Load): 137...215 (8...14 °BTDC)
017 Throttle Position - Specification (Idle): 0 (0 %) | (Full Load): 255 (100 %)
002 Injected Quantity - Specification (Idle): 11...45 (2.2...9 mg/stroke) | (Full Load): 199...214 (39.8...42.8 mg/stroke)
097 Manifold pressure - Specification (Idle): 83...106 (920...1140 mbar) | (Full Load): 179...215 (1850...2250 mbar)
196 Atmospheric Pressure (BARO metric) - Specification (Full Load) 183...224 (910...1110 mbar)
099 Coolant Temp. (G62) - Specification: 80...35 (80...110 °C)
156 Intake Manifold Temp. (G42). - Specification: 182...50 (10...100 °C)
126 Fuel Temp. (G81) - Specification: 91...201 (20...80°C)
175 Air Mass (EGR On - 2 Min. after start-up) - Specification (Idle): 69...111 (230...370 mg/H)

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-012-AGR.CLB
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 012 CP
Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000AG 2839
Software Coding: 00001
Work Shop Code: WSC 06485
VCID: 609AA850D35874973BA-4B3C
4 Faults Found:

18058 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1650 - 35-00 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
18034 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1626 - 35-00 - Missing Message from TCU
17849 - EGR Valve (N18)
P1441 - 35-00 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground
18027 - Glow Plug Relay (J52)
P1619 - 35-00 - Open or Short to Ground

Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1

Address 01: DTCs cleared

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-012-AGR.CLB
4 Faults Found:

P1650 - 35-00 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
17849 - EGR Valve (N18)
P1441 - 35-00 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground
P1619 - 35-00 - Open or Short to Ground

Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1

Readiness Status: 00000000 01110111 10000000 10000000
MIL Status: MIL OFF
Comprehensive Components: Failed or Incomplete
Fuel System: Failed or Incomplete
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Failed or Incomplete
Number of EOBD-related DTC(s): 0

Address 01: Engine (038 906 012 CP)

19:58:13
903 /min Engine Speed (G28)
0.6 mg/str Injection Quantity
1.500 V Mod. Piston Disp. (G149)
67.5°C Coolant Temperature (G62)
6.7 % Accel. Pedal Pos. Sensor 1 (G79)
0 1 0 Operating condition
0 1 1 Brake Pedal Monitoring
000000 Cruise Control System (CCS)
255.0 Cruise Control System (CCS)
27.9°C Intake Air Temp. (G72)
67.5°C Coolant Temperature (G62)
560.0 mg/str Mass Air Flow (Actual)

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-012-AGR.clb
5 Faults Found:

P1650 - 35-10 - Missing Message from Instrument Cluster - Intermittent
17849 - EGR Valve (N18)
P1441 - 35-10 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground - Intermittent
P1619 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit
P0380 - 35-00 - Malfunction

Readiness: 1 4 0 1 0

That is what the vcds system in giving me any thoughts with this?

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
When my car was in limp mode it responded to the throttle pedal. It had low power, 60-70hp, but got around and functioned just fine. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with your setup. Since the pedal is new, I'm thinking a wire is broken or crossed some where.

Did you use wire harnesses from multiple years/cars or from one car? The colored connectors changed around from car to car and year to year. The colors of the wires also changed. There were two wires labelled incorrectly in the Bentley for my 99.5 Jetta donor. Right now I'm using the Jetta/Golf diagram to wire a 98 Beetle swap, and some wire colors are not the same. The ECM's have the same pinout so I am making sure after each wire is connected that they are continuous to the correct pin on the ECM connectors.

The first code 18058 means intermittent connection(s). Make sure there are no chafed wires or breaks in the wires.

Lots of open or short to ground codes, maybe missing a ground or two, or a ground wire is cut somewhere?
Probe the ground wire (yellow and black) in the EGR and turbo actuator connectors; check continuity to each other, and to the frame. Make continuous if not.

Last edited:

Tdiyotta

TDI
1.9 tdi alh
Thanks for getting back to me. I will recheck my connections. I did do a pin to pin continuity test according to the Bentley for an 03 Jetta. Could you tell what the minimum items needed for the conversion. I.e. I have the egr not connected/bypassed. Also a few of those codes mean no response from the instrument cluster also no response from transmission control unit. Obviously these are not installed. How do I eliminate those. Also is there a way to test the fuel injector pump? For all I know it could be getting the signal to rev it just isn't. Again thanks for getting back.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The brake switch has two ciruits.

1. Normally Open (brake light function)
2. Normally closed (cruise control cut-out function)

FWIW, there are two separate Clutch Switches

1. Normally open (starter switch function so that you do not start the vehicle in gear)
2. Normally closed (cruise control function).

The switches for the cruise control are extremely important if you decide to install the cruise function. Example: If the cruise is set and you push in the clutch, no cut-out switch (clutch switch) the engine is going to rev tremendously high!