Fan will not shut off when car is not running

andrewjoseph

TDI
2005 Jetta
Greetings -
I read the FAQs and found a similar problem, but am not sure if this is the same thing. My wife came home last night and turned the car off. Then about 20 minutes later the fan started running and would not shut off.

I started the car again to see what would happen. The fan turned off when I shut the ignition off, then started back up in about 20 seconds. I looked up at some of the remedies and checked the 16 and 25 fuses. The 25 was blown so I replaced it. The problem has not changed at all after doing this.

My question is does this sound like a radiator fan switch in need of replacing or the auxiliary fan relay which from reading appears to be under the battery.

Lurking here for months searching for info, great site. Never had question I couldn't find by searching - thanks for any help!

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Well, I guess you didn't search hard enough.

The fans running are usually related to DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration.

It is normal, it is good and should not be interrupted.

Search DPF. And don't worry.

P.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Well, I guess you didn't search hard enough.

The fans running are usually related to DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration.

It is normal, it is good and should not be interrupted.

Search DPF. And don't worry.

P.
According to his profile, he has a 2005, they don't have a DPF. OP, is this the car you are posting about? Or do you also have a 2009-2011?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Did your fuse blow again? I have to ask.

Unplug your AC high pressure sensor electrical connection. This is near the fire wall on the passenger side, where the two aluminum Air Conditioning refrigeration lines run through to the cabin for the evaporator. If this shuts off the fans, then it limits the troubleshooting to the AC pressure sensor and wiring.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Are both fans spinning? I take it you have the 2005.5 (newer body) Jetta.

These have a tendency to have the small fan fail or have the fan controller go out (which in this case is built into the large fan).

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Radiator fans generally WILL continue to run after the engine is shut down if it is very hot. Think this is the case on almost all cars.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
But our cars are very rarely that hot.

The fan hardly ever runs on my car, unless the AC is on.

Even towing a 5x8 trailer across Texas in August. The fan NEVER ran when shooting off the ramp to a rest area or gas station. Not one time have I ever had this happen.

Much less 20 minute after shutdown.