Cabin Air Filter - "pollen filter" on a NB

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Cabin Air Filter - \"pollen filter\" on a NB

I need a few tips on how to replace the filter on a Beetle!

There was a thread..for Jettas, I think, but it did not survive.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB

Sit on the passenger seat to do the job.

Push back the center console panel about an inch or so. Set it aside. There is two or three torx screws that need to be removed so that you can remove the panel on the right side.

Then you will see a panel cover that has like six or seven screws. It may be difficult to get the ones near the windshield. Remove them all. Remove the panel. It will take some effort, a lot of moving it around until you get it. Then you will see the filter. The filter has a plastic frame around it. It will be difficult to remove. I found it easy to just start by lifting the front (closest to you) first and then work your way out by pulling it.

Replace it then put it back in reverse order. The filter may be difficult to put it in but if you put it in the same way you took it out it will be easier than one thinks.

I can take some pictures if you need me to.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

hmmm..ok... sorry, but I am still without my service manual!

To get the center panel off the dash, I have to push it forward (towards the windshield)and lift it off? Where are the torx that have to come out first?

The rest seems pretty straightforward.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

akhhh!! I would sell your NB and buy a Golf.

On a Golf or Jetta, you pop the hood, take out like 3 or 4 screws near the windshield, lift off a cover, and out comes the pollen filter.

Just couldn't resist as I know Deaf Bug...

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB

okay, a picture is a thousand words. Pardon the dust and the quality as it is dark in the garage and I was using a floursant light to take the picture.

First push back the panel. No screws or anything.

Then you have two torx screws to remove near the windsheild.

The rest as you said is straighforward so no pictures.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

AAhhh! NOW I get it! Thank you very much for your help and for taking those pics!

and...NO...I would NEVER sell my Beetle for a...Golf
...hehehe

billsbuddie

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF, GLS, TDI, 05, Reflex Silver

Thanks DeafBug, I just did my first maintenance on my 2000 NB TDI, a pollen filter. Though I could not get your pictures to come up on my computer, you description along with the Bentley Manual were sufficient. What a mess that filter was, it was almost completely clogged. Original equipment and 70,000 miles later, I sure cannot see reusing it like some have proposed on other threads.

For anyone else who has trepidation at taking on a mechanical task, take heart, read what is posted here and give it a whirl. Even a very old accountant can learn a few new tricks.

By the way, when I had the filter out I sprayed some Lysol down in the hole, my blower now really puts out and it smells clean, like Lysol. Thanks again DeafBug.