'04Jetta Wagon - My dog scratches the rear bumper

light_natured

TDI
Jetta, 2004,shadow blue
\'04Jetta Wagon - My dog scratches the rear bumper

My dog scratches my rear bumper on my 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI when he gets in an out. The current clear 3M film doesn't do the job of preventing the paw scratches.

I checked into getting a stainless steel rear bumper sill cover made by Kamei for the Jetta IV Wagon. It looks sharp !! However, the salesman mentioned that the 2004 Jetta Wagon rear bumper underwent a change from the other Jetta IV Wagon rear bumpers. Therefore, this sill plate will not fit on 2004 Wagons.

Can anyone confirm this rear bumper change for 2004 Jetta Wagons ?

Does anyone have another suggestion of keeping the paw scratches off the bumper ? THANX.

DarrenB

TDI
2003 GOLF GLS TDI, Reflex Silver

It could be as simple as just giving him a running start....My dog was scratching my '03 Golf's rear bumper until I started giving her a running start, and now she just hops right over the bumper and into the cargo area, without even touching it...Depending on how big your dog is, and how enthusiastic he/she is, this may or may not work. My dog tends to be sorta spastic, and she rather enjoys riding in the back of the Golf. :) My dog weighs about 50 lbs and she has no trouble making the leap. Another idea that I tried before I realized she could make the jump, was to use part of the blanket I had lining the cargo area, to sorta drape a bit of it over the back bumper until she got in. Once she got in, I folded the remaining blanket back into the cargo area and it provided a bit of padding for her once she settled down. Good luck!

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver

Herculine it. Or find some no-skid tape.

You've got a wagon. You've got a dog(s). Your car is going to get dirty. The headliner, and door trim love to capture dog hair. It's inevtable.

Be more concerned that the dog can slip and fall from the slippery bumper than you seem to be about scratches in the tape (and that's as deep as they are.)

They also sell ramps for gereatric dogs that can't jump. (They work for white dogs too.)

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI

The JW bumper changed from '02 to '03, basicaly just a lengthening. '03 to '04 whould be identical, there haven't been any changes found or reported...

That still doesn't help the bumper cover issue, though, as most covers are made for the 2002 style.

corey

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW

To keep my dog from scratching the rear bumper, I keep a rug in the back that I unfold. It covers any contact area well to prevent scratches.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather

Solution: Keep the dog out of the car! Gosh I cringe when my kids get in sometimes... no way in @#$%^& I'd ever even think about letting a dog in my car. But then I don't have wonderful feelings for those four-legged critters anyway. I never have understood the "dog in car" folks. (Not meant to offend anyone!)

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather

Solution: Keep the dog out of the car! Gosh I cringe when my kids get in sometimes... no way in @#$%^& I'd ever even think about letting a dog in my car. But then I don't have wonderful feelings for those four-legged critters anyway. I never have understood the "dog in car" folks. (Not meant to offend anyone!)
You didn't offend me but my dog is really mad