2.0 rough idle question

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My sister-in-law has a 2.0 Golf. 2003 Model. She threw a check engine lite a couple weeks ago. I checked fault codes with Vag-Com and came up with engine misfire, cylinder #2. Well, to make a long story short, she and my wife just got back from the dealer and they replaced the temperature sender.....Does this make sense...because it doesn't to me. /images/graemlins/mad.gif By the way....it was like a miss every once in a while.

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread, too. My buddy has a 2.0, and similar symptoms. It's running so bad lately, that I convinced him to go in with me to split the cost of a Hex-Com so we can figure it out...

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith

Radeon9

I am not sure why you would replace the temperature sender if your engine misfire. There might be some timing issue that is cauing the misfire. My best guess would be the spark plugs. One of them might be loose and not seated properly or they just need changing. Also try changing the wires, distri cap and rotor (Not sure about the last 2 if you have coil packs). If she just changed them, a cylinder pluged into the distributor incorrectly may also cause it. Another guess I would make would be that one of the coil pack is bad.I think VW would cover it under the recall.
I hope this help ya...I Don't know a lot about gasser but know a little to get by /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green
Hmmm. Isn't temperature used to figure advance/retard of the spark? If so, a failed sensor could, theoretically, cause the spark at the wrong time, ie mis-fire. Not sure how you'd confirm this...somehow compare the "indicated" temperature with actual temperature?

Keith

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
True......but isn't the temp sender for the guage on the dash....? Even if not, there was no rhyme or reason for this misfire....a failed sensor I think would have made it happen much more often than it did. We will see.

Radeon9

If a temperature sensor not sender fail, it would cause a bigger problem then what you describe. It could be a pre-sign of a temp sensor failing. Maybe the dealer made a mistake and changed the sender instead of the sensor.

Did a quick search on vwvortex (They could probally help you more with your gasser questions) and found this.Don't know how much this can help ya?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=815191