Scratches

fon462

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
So I did a good spring cleaning of my car and during the process scratched my bumper pretty damn good. It doesnt seem like the paint is scratched just the clear coat. Anyone have any tips on fixing this?

I am really pissed at myself for letting this happen!:mad:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Detailers can buff out scratches for you. If you want to do it yourself, purchase a "scratch remover" (several ones available) and apply. You will need to use some elbow grease and may need several applications. I use Meguiars products and recommend them.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
did you do the spring cleaning with the scotch brite?

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
I think the brand was Brillo??? :D

It was a small piece of dirt or a rock that stuck to my microfiber cloth.
Might want to get it polished. Using a polish compound and a dual action polisher would probably clean that right up.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
use 2000-3000 grit sandpaper with water to smooth it out a little ( a little ), then Meguiars 105 polish or just polish itself if youre not comfortable with the sanding, should take it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBDFfHkN8g

Last edited:

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
Meguairs Ultimate Compound and a Meguiars Foam Applicator Pad (yellow). Work it in with the pad (1 min or so) and buff it with a microfiber towel. Do it several times and it will improve. Meguiars actually sells a dual action attachment for a drill that pretty good. Autogeek.net is a resource for detailing products and how-to advice.

fon462

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks everyone for the response. I will let yo guys k now what I end up using. I will probably stay away from sanding in fear of making it worse.