Dynamic EGR Control for TDIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubbie36

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I purchased the car in 2005. The unit seized up during the warranty period so they just swapped the EGR out with a new unit (the turbo was also swapped at that time) - I'm not sure about the manifold. In 2007 they knew it was a newer unit so they cleaned it and the manifold and they did the same just a few days ago. I’m not sure what needs to be done technically but I do have VAG-COM if you can tell me how to edit the EGR settings? Not sure what exactly is going on so that’s why I’m hunting for EGR alternatives. Perhaps my car was just made on a Monday - July 5th.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
A CCV filter mod may help as the oil mist from CCV may contribute to the crud build-up. The VAG-COM EGR mod that G60ING suggested is free, and it works. It might slow down the engine warm-up a bit though.

Dynamic EGR may reduce intake soot a bit more effectively as long as the engine's warm.

How long are your commutes, hubbie36?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I take it this doesn't affect us dinosaur B4s as our EGR is not like the coolant cooled one ?

The dynamic EGR can be used on a B4 or MK3. I went with a hybrid EGR setup on my AHU. I used a european intake manifold with an odd ball european mk4 golf EGR valve (no anti shudder flap). I took a lesson from the early B4s and made an EGR pipe fit from my AFN exhaust manifold to the mk4 EGR without a cooler because they are sometimes known for failing and allowing the coolant to leak into the exhaust gasses.I combined all this with a dynamic EGR tune from malone tuning. My car has been getting the best mileage I have ever seen after previously having the EGR deleted.

I also must have had some other issues that I resolved because now that I have rebuilt my motor, did a turbo upgrade, and replaced the thermostat with a 192F unit the car has set an all time personal record of 58mpg over 520 miles:eek:(one other tank of 550 miles had 53mpg), it had been averaging 43mpg with an odd ball tank of 45 or 47 when 100% highway and pampered. I think on a long non-stop road trip I might get 60-62mpg while using hypermiling techniques.

xengr

TDI
Golf Mk6
Is the dynamic EGR function also available for newer CR TDis?
I too am interested in knowing whether this could be applied to CR engines, since we seem to have unresolved problems with condensation and slime accumulating in or around the intercooler which may end up causing cold weather starting issues.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I have been interested in this but have 2 questions:

-Using EGR only when the engine is cold may not be a good idea... Isn't that when the exhaust vapors (water and the soot) condense easier in the cold intake?

-I have a PD150 EGR, it doesn't use an EGR cooler but a direct pipe from exh manifold to the EGR valve. So, I would get less of a warmup benefit I suppose even if I got EGR for warmup?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I just rigged up dynamic egr with some shoe strings, JK.... ;)

I have the PD150 uncooled EGR, I also have an EGR cooler that I can install.. same pipes. I wonder if its better to use uncooled egr, more heat into the cylinder itself- helping the cylinders fire when cold, instead of to coolant, also less clogging risk?

I can hear that the turbo is working less hard at cold idle, because 1/3 or so of the airflow is coming from the EGR.

Oh and a fun tweak, for summer, when you don't need it as much- just change group 03 in vcds/vag com to reduce EGR!

Status
Not open for further replies.