Fuel leak under starboard passenger area

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Driving in a parking lot at a flea market, I drove over what I later found to be a piece of concrete that made two scraping noises as I passed over it. Thanks be for the Panzer plate protecting my oil reservoir. Unfortunately, whatever it was apparently managed to cause damage to a fuel line or fuel cooler.

I noticed a diesel smell later while driving, then again when parked. Investigating further, I saw a small liquid spot underneath the car when parked, which by touching and smell concluded it to be a diesel leak. This spot was under the starboard passenger area, but perhaps that was due to the angle of the car when parked. The leak did not get larger over time, so it appears that it is dependent on the engine running to occur.

Has anyone else experienced such a thing? I will be investigating further tomorrow, but this is all I have so far.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
How do I remove a damaged fuel cooler connector?

So I found the issue. I either have simply a damaged fuel line fitting or both that and a deformed fuel cooler fitting end.

How do these fittings work? I have not yet found an explanation online or in my shop manuals exactly how to remove or attach this fitting. At the least, I will need a new blue fuel line.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
There is a release "button" on the rounded side of the elbow's collar where the metal tube enters the fitting. It is visible in your picture on the fitting of the dirty beige colored tube. Depress the button and pull the fitting off. They can be stubborn sometimes.
The fuel coolers can have broken mounting brackets because of the way they are suspended from the floor pans. They vibrate and fatigue the aluminum.
And because the mount bracket broke, I also found a leak in the metal tube entering the cooler where it is welded against the cooler mount bracket. I assume the leak developed because that end of the cooler was now suspended by only the fuel tubes and was bouncing around.

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
Actual damage discovered

So I finally found a page that had the method of removing these fuel lines:
https://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswagen/anow1-06-jetta-tdi-diesel-fuel-return-line-cooler.html

After getting it off, it appears that I will not be able to reattach anything to the smashed end as shown. This part of the line is not high pressure, so I am wondering how to create a secure splice somehow between the blue plastic line and the aluminum tubing farther upstream on the fuel cooler.