2011-2012 dsg

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I am planning in getting a 2012 as soon as they are available, or maybe a 2011 if the discount is generous. I am on the fence about the DSG, however, I don't like going back to shifting gears. Have any of you had a failure on your 2009, 2010, 2011, DSG? Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Failures with DSGs seem to be fairly rare. The biggest "issue" with the DSG seems to be the cost of maintenance. The fluid and filter must be changed every 40,000 miles. This requires special equipment (tools) and about $120 worth of parts (mainly the special fluid). The cost seems to vary from about $250 to $500 depending on who does it (dealers are usually the most expensive).

I opted for the manual because it is cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain, but then again I have always driven a manual transmission. The choice is yours.

Have Fun!

Don

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
My dealer in Rogers, Arkansas quoted $429.00 complete including taxes.
The fluid is about $125 on line, the tool (one time purchase $125) and I don't know how much the filter is. Labor around here is going for about $110/hr.. Considering using his facilities and continuing my warranty by him doing the service, and you need a Vag-com to make a fluid temperature entry on filling, I suppose I will go with the dealer.

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
The dealer where I test drove the DSG Golf said they get $800 bucks for 40k DSG service. I would be doing the maintenance myself. I just do not want to have to take the car back to the dealer for DSG problems. I will test drive a 6m, but would prefer the Auto DSG.

aywkubttod

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
The dealer where I test drove the DSG Golf said they get $800 bucks for 40k DSG service. I would be doing the maintenance myself. I just do not want to have to take the car back to the dealer for DSG problems. I will test drive a 6m, but would prefer the Auto DSG.
It's probably $800 for the 40k service (engine oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter) PLUS the DSG service, which seems to be in the "normal" range.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
+1 above. The DSG service does NOT cost $800. Figure it will run between $400 and $450 from a reputable dealer. If you only want the DSG service done at 40K, make sure that's what you ask for and agree to a price in advance. I had mine done at the dealer for $420 and had a 10% off coupon off their website. ALWAYS check the dealers website as there are always coupons for just about everything.

I found a coupon for $99 to replace front or rear brake pads and at 50K the rears needed replacing. Paid $99 for the pads and labor...tech laughed and said the dealer loses money on that one:)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The DSG problems seem to be hit or miss and they usually involve the MU. There have been reports here and over on the Vortex of false neutral problems again.

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Most people seem to love their DSG. Mine is a rough-shifting control freak and I'm not really all that fond of it. If my wife could drive a manual transmission, I would have the 6M.

I like car control, and the DSG removes it -- entirely.

This is the internet, so some will object.

chilehead19

Veteran Member
TDI
. 2014 Sportwagen TDi for me 2011 2dr golf for my wife
I find that there is a learning curve on the way to drive a DSG. once you figure it out it drives much smoother.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The DSG is the only automatic gearbox I've ever known that you have to 'learn' how to drive with. I hate them like poison, and could never put up with living with one, but lots of folks who have them like them. It is a great idea, but too strange for me. There is indeed a learning curve on them, very good way to put it, chilehead.

I guess a THOROUGH test drive with one would be in order for you BEFORE you purchase. We do not need another "my DSG shifts weird" thread here. ;)

The PM costs are not that much, and should really not weigh in much on your decision, IMHO.

thesearcherman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Do you guys think you lose MPG with the DSG over the 6M? If so, how much do you think you are loosing? I have a feeling resale may also be higher on the 6M? Thanks

oilhammer

TDI
Do you guys think you lose MPG with the DSG over the 6M? If so, how much do you think you are loosing? I have a feeling resale may also be higher on the 6M? Thanks
I think the reported MPG difference is so small, that driving style, weather, tires, and other conditions can have just as much affect. However I'd think someone who chose to do so could squeeze a bit more out of a manual.

Resale value is tough to say. Given you will have to recoup an $1100 or so hit in the initial purchase price I think you will ALWAYS be losing money, even if their resale value remained level.

I know our shop has bought, fixed up, and sold quite a few Volkswagens, many diesels, and we always are able to sell the automatics just as easy as the manuals... and we ask (and get) more money for the manuals every time. I think VW buyers in general are still one of the last bastions of stick-shift lovers out there, unless you count some of the lower-production performance cars, like a WRX or Corvette.

So if simple dollars and sense is considered, a manual is still the way to go. They cost less to purchase, cost less to maintain, are more sturdy in the long run, generally will allow for better MPGs, and probably will be worth just as much if not more at resale time. But I do not think this is anything new. My dad knew this when he ordered his custom-built 1984 Ford Ranger... which he still has... and the transmission has never been unbolted from the engine.

Last edited:

progrocker333

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I drive a DSG transmission and at first it took some getting used to but now I love it. Its completely different than your traditional automatic but it's obviously no manual, so if rowing your own gears is a priority you won't get as much fun out of the DSG. In an age where we have computers controlling our braking, traction control, I decided to go with the newer tech and enjoy the flexibility afforded to my drive, as opposed to the nuanced control i would get from a MT.

I love the fact that if i want optimum fuel economy and just cruise without worrying I can do that. If I want to pass someone on the highway I can always execute quick downshifts without adding gas. On a steep hill I can dial in the appropriate gear and avoid riding the brakes. If I want to accelerate fast with ease I can plop it into sport mode and let it fly. The DSG allows me to be a lazy driver, a crazy driver, or a more engaged driver which is what appeals to me. If you take time to learn how the DSG transmission operates and get used to all the quirks making note of what it's doing you learn to drive the car in a whole different way which I thought was pretty cool.

I think the bottom line is , if you love driving a manual, grew up with a manual and are on the fence right now then go for the 6 speed MT. While the DSG is fun to play with it does not give you that satisfaction from executing a perfect shift. Otherwise I would take the DSG for the added flexibility and convenience. Yes you pay a premium for it, but I believe if you resell the car you will appeal to more buyers (who aren't specifically looking at VW cars). I also think the fuel economy comparisons should not be a major factor since the differences are more likely to be seen based on your tires and driving style as previous posters have mentioned.

I think your decision ultimately depends on:

Absolutely love driving stick?
If not then is Convenience/Flexibility worth the added maintenance cost?

As far as reliability, I have not seen much on dsg related problems but do not know for sure. It is my belief though that as long as proper maintenance is performed the transmission will last.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you want to know the resale value with and without the DSG, just go to the NADA or KBB sites and plug in the info for your car and do it with and without automatic.

Rutch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I know a lot of people who are used to a traditional automatic "slushbox" get really confused when the DSG engine brakes. They're so used to the torque converter just 'letting go' and coasting when they let off the throttle...

ashutoshsm

TDI
JSW 6speed Manual
Indeed, my test drive experiences (JSW and Golf TDI) with the DSG were underwhelming, 'hesitant' and strange. There is definitely a learning curve.

Aftermarket service is relatively simple, but anecdotally, the fluid/filter service, comes to around $300ish (non VW dealer). Remember to factor that AND the decreased mileage (yes, the EPA lies, MTX delivers better mileage - fact) into your cost estimates.

That said, better option than a slushbox, for sure - I loved that it engine brakes!

Moot for me, I was 98% sure going in that as long as my left leg stayed on during car shopping and price negotiations, it would continue to be in play. 3 pedals for me.

oilhammer

TDI
I thought Step 3 was lug engine.
Which brings you to Step 4: put the selector in Sport so it is less aggrevating. :p

It's funny, I really like the DSG behind the BPY 2.0t in the GTIs and Audi A3s and stuff. It really works well with those. But the TDIs it just seems to shunt the engine's ability to perform for some reason. Strange.

Sankar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI / DSG
I have a 2009 DSG and love the flexibility of the tranny. Rather than repeat myself, I'll link to a post I made on this over a year ago:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2898018#post2898018

I now have over 40K on the car. The 40K service cost me under $400 all told including parts via one of the TDI trusted mechanics I found here. That included the DSG service as well as oil change, etc.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which brings you to Step 4: put the selector in Sport so it is less aggrevating. :p

It's funny, I really like the DSG behind the BPY 2.0t in the GTIs and Audi A3s and stuff. It really works well with those. But the TDIs it just seems to shunt the engine's ability to perform for some reason. Strange.
Yep, I always use tip or Sport. D is overdrive. ;)

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
In my opinion, people who are obsessive compulsive and/or very sensitive to their car's powertrain characteristics are more likely to have issues with the DSG. I'm still not crazy about some of the low speed characteristics of the gearbox, but my girlfriend has absolutely no problems with it. She doesn't even notice the thing, and strangely, when she drives it, I don't sense/feel any of the issues I have driving... This may be because I adapt my driving style to the gearbox, and by doing so, I have a feeling I'm confusing it... My girlfriend on the other hand does not react to the gearbox in any different way than she would to her Mercury Grand Marquis. :p So, they key may be to just drive and try to block out your senses of what the gearbox is doing. :p

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
The coolest part about the DSG, at least in my car, is when you're at a standstill, and a gap opens in traffic, then you floor it, and... NOTHING! The car rolls out into traffic nice and slowly, then the DSG decides "OH! You want POWER! I get it now!" and 1st gear full boost ensues, and if you're on a wet road surface the tires just spin and spin (regardless of TC's best attempts at intervention).

Yea... DSG rocks.

Now someone will enter and claim something about "learning" how to use the DSG properly... on cue... :rolleyes:

Then, of course, mine does shift VERY roughly (like you dumped the clutch at full revs in a manual).

oilhammer

TDI
In my opinion, people who are obsessive compulsive and/or very sensitive to their car's powertrain characteristics are more likely to have issues with the DSG. I'm still not crazy about some of the low speed characteristics of the gearbox, but my girlfriend has absolutely no problems with it. She doesn't even notice the thing, and strangely, when she drives it, I don't sense/feel any of the issues I have driving... This may be because I adapt my driving style to the gearbox, and by doing so, I have a feeling I'm confusing it... My girlfriend on the other hand does not react to the gearbox in any different way than she would to her Mercury Grand Marquis. :p So, they key may be to just drive and try to block out your senses of what the gearbox is doing. :p
You are absolutely correct. And that is why those of us that seem in tune with what our car is doing seem to take issue with, or learn to embrace, the DSG. FWIW I think my Honda's autobox does some strange things, too, but it is 100% normal for that model... just that I am always thinking about what gear it is in, what gear I would want it in, and if they coincide. I guess I am just not suited to drive a car with an autobox, LOL! :D

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
My sentiments exactly. In hindsight, I would have gotten a manual, but I'm not unhappy with the DSG. As I put more miles on her, it's becoming a stronger relationship. :)

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I've always had manual boxes (with the odd exception of a family mini van years ago) but now after 3 knee operations and a bad back, I couldn't even consider my latest car to not have an auto. It's too hard on me having to clutch in and out constantly - my morning commute consists of stop and go traffic.
I don't mind the DSG at all. I don't expect it to act like a manual, and I don't drive it hard or push it. It does have some odd behaviours like many other autos such as when hunting for a gear, but it's also not reasonable to expect a car maker to build their cars to suit 100% of their buyer's personal likes. Me - I like it just fine.