red & blue dash lights on?

droptail

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 bug
Upon cold start up, my girlfriends '00 NB can get a red, red flashing, or blue light, she thinks it might be the same light turning colors. They will go off after a few minutes. It can be freezing in the AM here. Is this a temp idiot light?

We don't have an owners manual yet, just a service.
Any pics here of the dash lights explaining what they are?

Thanks

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Check your coolant level. I think the proper colour on startup is blue.

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
The coolant temperature light can come on either blue or red. It should be blue upon start up and then go out when the car reaches operating temp. If it beeps and flashes red its telling you the car is low on coolant. Occasionally I have seen the red coolant light flash and there is coolant and just the sensor in the expansion tank needs to be cleaned. Just be careful on the NB as there is no temperature gauge and when the red coolant light flashes you need to pull over immediately and check it.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Yup I will also say, I myself having a Beetle, that the blue color is saying that the car is cold and you should keep your revs low if you like your turbo in one piece for the long haul etc. flashing red and beeping means low coolant and I think that it does something else to indicate over heating condition.