TDI in Las Vegas

CTTDIFAN

Greetings! I am an ew member
of this club. I will be moving to Las Vegas later on this year. I would like to know if there are any members out there who have purchased their vehicles in Las Vegas and at what dealer. I plan to purchase my vehicle there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi CTTDIFAN, Welcome to the forum. When you make the move to LV, try to make your best deal without committing. Once you've done so, contact me with the details of color,options,etc. and let me get you a better price. I have a broker deal set up with Pacific VW/Santa Monica VW here in the LA area and can most likely get the one you want for less. Later!

CTTDIFAN

Thanx for the info. I'm really trying to find out how a TDI performs out in the desert. If the higher elevation affects it more? How the high temperatures affect engine driveability and the availability of diesel fuel at what cost. How the air conditioning holds up to the heat. Any responses from local residents would be greatly appreciated.

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
Hi CTTDIFAN....I live up in Reno/Sparks area in Northern Nevada, I feel that the High Desert has little affect on the TDI, I have a 2000 TDI GLS and it runs great up here I'm about 4,650 altitude.....pulling hills like Donners Summit going to California NoProb 75 to 80mph as long as the traffic is flowing good.....must have tinted windows down there.....AC can (and it will) be spitting Ice cubes at you in the 105+ heat down there but without tint it dont mean Jack$it. AC dont affect the TDI's either I get 38MPG in the city running AC and I dont keep my foot out of it
...I got 50MPG going to Salt Lake City from here in the summer running AC....so enjoy the mileage and the good AC with no worries....about the fuel there are a BUTTLOAD of truckstops all over the Nevada and Arizona area so it' plentiful although being in the desert maintenance is a little more often for me it's 3,000 miles and I change my Air filter every other Oil change...Later

[ May 11, 2002, 20:37: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I visited vegas in a 2000 beetle TDI. it handled the entire trip just fine, although the AC was lacking when the outside temp gauge was reading 112 in direct sunlight. however after driving, it would cool down just fine. I doubt any car would have done any better in the same conditions. talk to harveiux about getting the best deal, he can help you out when it comes to price!

CTTDIFAN

Thanx for the responses. The only problem will be that I won't have a car handy when I get there. I'm only bringing out a U-Haul out there. I'm planning to sell my current car before I leave. No use trailering a car 3000 miles if I don't have to. I'm sure he could get a better price, but I have no way to get there. I really want to talk to someone who lives in Las Vegas and tell me their experiences with the 2 dealers in town. Is Desert better than Findlay or vise/versa???

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I've heard of one positive experience at Desert VW and one very negative.

If you can't find your TDI in Vegas, try Reno, or there's a few dealers in the Phoenix area.

CTTDIFAN

Thanx!
Did you purchase your TDI at Desert or Findlay? How often do you change your oil with the high temperatures and how does the engine react to the extreme heat? Any information would be appreciated!

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I purchased my TDI in Reno. I live in northern Nevada and I change the oil every 10K miles. I often travel to Vegas, and the engine has never overheated.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi Denton T. Young, In that case,CTTDIFAN would be better off having me go to bat for him here in LA. Reno and Phoenix are similar in distance from LA if my geography serves me right. Later!

CTTDIFAN

Thanx for the reply. I guess nobody lives in Las Vegas that purchased their car's there. I don't wnat to trailer my Contour cross country if I don't have to. I'd much rather sell it and purchase a new TDI in Las Vegas. I just want to know if the dealers out there are reputable and if they are con artists with the pricing/service!

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
I change my oil at every 3,000 miles.....IMHO that the frequent blowing dust, high winds (with the dust) and high summer temperatures warrant it.....I know of only once that the Temp Guage ever even spiked over 190...and I was pushing 100 on I-80
in the dead heat of summer

CTTDIFAN

Thanx for the info about the high heat
Do you run Mobil 1 synthetic for your TDI? I wish somebody has some experience with either of the 2 dealerships in Las Vegas/Henderson. I'm sure that the member who lives in LA would be of help to purchase, but I won't have a car to travel to and from Reno, Phoenix and LA. Thanx for the offer though.

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
I use what the dealer puts in (Lifetime Oil Changes every 3,000 miles) that way I have everything documented
Lithia Volkswagen In Reno have done good with me...cant vouch for the Vegas Dealers though

[ May 18, 2002, 21:44: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]

CTTDIFAN

Thanx, but I will be looking for a 5-speed or possibly a 6-speed (2003). Only want sunroof and velour interior. If car had Monsoon, it would still be OK, but prefer it without it. Kind of depends what the 2003 models have. I guess I gotta wait another couple of months.