PSA: Great price on 94R batteries

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You won't have an issue with the radio disconnecting the battery in an A4.

They are selling the black case ones here with the 920 CA. I bought a dozen of them.

FWIW they date back to July so make sure to charge them. Some take 8-10 hours to come back up at 4 amps.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
If one has an interstate battery center near them, $30 for a blemished battery is a deal. No warranty.

N4TY

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
T_D_I_POWER said:
For future electrical work in your car whenever you need to disconnect the batt. you might want to consider using this device. I have no issues what so ever.

This GIZMO is a life-saver! It saved me much trouble replacing a battery in a Camry with an alarm system. Add that to a list of automotive devices that go bonkers when the juice goes away.

Good find on the batteries, Bruce!
I'm going to walk over to WallyWorld at lunch and scope out the rack....

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's not a MK4. That's why. MK4 cars don't have this issue.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Is there a core charge on batteries from Walmart, refundable if you bring your old one back?

I'm heading to upper NY tomorrow and am considering picking one of these up if the Walmart in Ogdensburg has any on the shelf - much cheaper than anything local. Wondering if I should plan on swapping it out in the parking lot.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The last two batteries I bought from Walmart, they charged a core charge. If you change it out in the parking lot or bring it back later, they will refund the charge.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
fitzski said:
Is there a core charge on batteries from Walmart, refundable if you bring your old one back?

I'm heading to upper NY tomorrow and am considering picking one of these up if the Walmart in Ogdensburg has any on the shelf - much cheaper than anything local. Wondering if I should plan on swapping it out in the parking lot.
If the store has an auto service department, they will install the new battery for free. Other stores sell batteries but do not have a service department, so their procedures would be different.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I found two old car batteries in the parking garage at work. I brought them back to the store and got $20 for the pair.

I should go battery hunting around Christmas time :p

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
It's only 5 mins to swap the battery... just need to bring a couple of tools with me. If they have one, I'll set it aside, then go pull mine out and bring it in when I buy the new one.

Mine (OEM, just over 5 y.o. and 110k kms) isn't in desperate need of replacement, but it's definitely sounding fatigued as temps drop below freezing.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI, the Walmart in Ogdensburg, NY has (4) EverStart Maxx 94R on the shelf at $75 ea. All-black case, 910ca/765 cca, I could not find a date stamp.

Fumes

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Wagon
Up here in Canada we get hosed :mad: on battery prices, except not bad prices at Costco or if you know someone at a battery place. I replaced one in my honda generator, motorcycle battery size, and it was double the price in Canada, bought in Minot, ND.

Brandon604

TDI
2006 Golf GLS
It was like 40F this morning and my 2006 Golf TDI wouldn't start. Original battery. Cranking speed was dismal and began slowing on the 4th try. I only cranked about 3 to 4 seconds each try, so I'd say the battery was shot. I hooked up my 30A power supply set to 14V and charged for 30 minutes. Cranked over faster than I've ever heard it and started right up. I picked up an EverStart Maxx 94R at the Valrico, Florida Walmart for $75 + core charge and installed tonight. Date code 12/09. Cranked very fast and startup was immediate even though it was getting chilly again. :)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It looks like the 94R is too big for my A3.....the Duralast that is in my car now looks like it is the 65 series,but the # is worn off...time to break out ruler and measure up.....

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
After hard learned lesson with wally world batteries I said will never buy one again specially for tdi. I find my local VW dealer to be the cheapest place to buy good batteries for VW/Audi's at cost of only $89. Also knowing that they will last lot longer then those Ever start walmart batteries or some other brands.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm checking the Autozone batteries out-it's what I have in the car now,and is over 5 yrs. old.The 2 Everstarts I have in my pickup are over 2 years old now-haven't tried to start in a little over a week now-maybe tomorrow....

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I replace OEM Battery in 2004/or 4 w/ exide from BJ's Wholesale, and again with Exide/everstart from Wally World in 2006 (memorial day), still going strong. (A3 Vento)

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Just picked one up at Walmart $90.xx with Tax and before core return.
I had to carry that Heavy sucker across the store because they were out of baskets.
Cranks much faster than the smaller Oreilly battery that was in the car when I bought it.
FYI: 3 years Free replacement, and the battery say made by Johnston Controls.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Picked up mine last week...black case 3 year free replacement 910 CA...fixed my slow cranking...thanks Paramedick wouldn't have thought of Wal-Mart really.
PS: I can't recommend Autuzone Duralast gold, 94R only had 610 CCA and fell on its face in cold weather...from the beginning!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
eb2143 said:
Picked up mine last week...black case 3 year free replacement 910 CA...fixed my slow cranking...thanks Paramedick wouldn't have thought of Wal-Mart really.
PS: I can't recommend Autuzone Duralast gold, 94R only had 610 CCA and fell on its face in cold weather...from the beginning!
Both made by JCI -- Duralast's are and at least some of the Everstart 94R's are -- but 765 CCA is better than 610 CCA.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
TornadoRed said:
Both made by JCI -- Duralast's are and at least some of the Everstart 94R's are -- but 765 CCA is better than 610 CCA.
Yeah it's quite a big difference for a battery by the same company of the same size, huh?
Better warranty and $50 cheaper with the Wal-Mart sealed the deal.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As I have posted in a couple of other threads, I've been using a very under rated Everstart in my car since Nov of 07. I think it is a 41 grade, maybe 590 cca.

Anyway, it has been doing okay down to 20 degrees farenheit. Below that temp, it will not start. Seems one morning it was 17 F and it started on the second attempt! Wow!

I was hoping to get into Wally World today and purchase a 94r battery today ...... will do that tomorrow!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I checked Autozones-for the A3, 94R looks too long,plus terminals are wrong way. The 65 series looks like one in my car,but terminals are switched around.There is one(34 series I think) IIRC that has top posts and side mount, 1000 cranking amps,850CCA-the terminals are oriented right,but they are toward the engine instead of fender when battery would sit in-I need to do something shortly-the car HATES sitting outside in the cold weather during day when at work-somewhat ok in garage overnight. The Duralast in my car has a date sticker of 12/1 -so I guess it has served a useful life(8+ years).... Advance did have the correct one,a 41 series,but the cranking amps weren't the greatest.