2005 Passat TDI Monsoon stereo head upgrade

JackD123

TDI
2005 Passat TDI wagon
Hi, this is my first post here, and the thing that prompted me to join this forum. I recently bought a 2005 Passat TDI as a commuter vehicle. But I'm really enjoying it in general, and find myself driving it everywhere.

My Passat has the all-stock sound system (which sounds good to me, btw - not an audiophile). Everything works.

But, I'm interested in adding Bluetooth or at least aux input, and I would like for the steering wheel controls to still work. So I've spent some time reading old threads on this board. I wanted to create a new thread in case anything has changed since those other threads were active - either new products that would be helpful to me, or some of the products that were available at that time may no longer be on the market.

Best Buy has a Pioneer head unit for $200 that I think would suit my needs (again, not an audiophile). What else would I need to buy, or do, for it to work with the Monsoon system and the steering wheel controls? Is this a DIY situation or am I better off having Best Buy do it, or should I skip Best Buy and go to a store that specializes in car audio?

Thanks!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The word "Enfig" in my post above is a hot link to their VW Passat page... Yes, that is the one.

Last edited:

JackD123

TDI
2005 Passat TDI wagon
Thanks. I will probably go that route.

Two more questions, apologies if they are dumb or obvious questions.

1 - If I use that Enfig Bluetooth adapter, how do I choose Bluetooth? The factory head unit has options for AM, FM, CD and cassette. Does installing the adapter mean that I can't use one of those, and if so, do I get to pick, or is it always (say) CD that it replaces?

2 - If I went with a head unit replacement, is there a product that would make it easy to use the Monsoon amp and existing speakers as well as the steering wheel controls? For example, would either of these let me use the Monsoon amp?

https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_PNP_RADIO.html

https://enfigcarstereo.com/PAC_RP4_VW11.html

Thanks again.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
That device plugs in place of the factory CD changer. To use it, you'll hit the CD button twice (as I recall).

The Monsoon amp uses speaker level inputs, so it's easy to drive with another headunit. Adapters exist that allow the steering wheel buttons to keep working, and to give the replacement headunit the key on, headlights on, etc signals it needs that are only delivered over CAN on your factory double din headunit. This has been common to VWs from ~2001+, so any reputable audio vender will have an easy to use adapter for this.

-J