Malone post fix reflash

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Whose running it? What kind of mpg’s are you getting? 50whp bump and 100tq! Will this pass Ca smog test?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
You'd want to put the factory tune back on (via Flashzilla) before having it tested.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
And after what fix? phase 1 or phase 2?

I haven't heard if Malone has a phase 2 tune yet, or if their stock tune works after phase 2 doesn't throw any issues into the system, but their phase 1 tune is rather enjoyable.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
There are several threads in this MK7 section that youll wana read about tunes and warranty and junk. I want a tune too but wont be risking my warranty.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I’m just considering buying a 2015 golf tdi but only if I can make good power and get great mpg’s. So vw has to do the repairs in two phases? I would need to pass the smog check so I would leave it looking factory at least. Would want the stage 1 post fix tune. Wondering how reliable the dpf system is and how long it lasts? I’m spoiled with my alh. No dpf and easy maintenance great power and mpg’s.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Why would you need to reflash with factory tune for smog? There is no sniffer just all visual? Check for check engine light.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Stage 1 tune keeps dpf so no worries about smog in CA. It is just a visual check to make sure the dpf is there.

A tune makes a big difference. I got my 2010 and 2015 tuned and they are great.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Thank you! I may have to bite the bullet on a 6 speed ea288! Do they have timing belts just like the alh to change every 100k?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
CA smog for diesels is more than a opacity check. They are supposed to hook up to the ECU and verify integrity. If your tech is doing that then you'll want a flashzilla to be safe since you can simply flash it back and forth from tune to stock at will. That won't, however, save you from the dealership picking your tune up during a visit and flagging your VIN thereby voiding your extended warranty.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Well then just flash back to stock before going to dealer. Probably can pass the smog test with the tune I do now with my alh Malone stage 4.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
My '98 Beetle has a Malone tune and doesn't trigger anything, but I already wrote you can't hide the tune from a dealer :\

I think the tunes have a way to hide from a very basic sniff and that's what prevents the DMV from knowing you have a tune. I don't have any experience with the newer years but I suspect the details are more complex than our early models. I don't know how far we should extend the same results from our 98 and 01 to these 2015s.

Regardless if you get a tune, you *will* forfeit your rights to the extended warranty. Don't try and talk yourself around that reality; assume that risk or don't get a tune.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yes we have phase 2 tunes out, deletes are a free option, they're not required.

Is there a new file due to the added sensor and phase 2 coding? Or will a Phase 1 tune work after phase 2 has been applied?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
CA smog for diesels is more than a opacity check. They are supposed to hook up to the ECU and verify integrity. If your tech is doing that then you'll want a flashzilla to be safe since you can simply flash it back and forth from tune to stock at will. That won't, however, save you from the dealership picking your tune up during a visit and flagging your VIN thereby voiding your extended warranty.

So even if I flashed back to factory tune before having car serviced the dealer would be able to tell I was running an aftermarket tune?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
So even if I flashed back to factory tune before having car serviced the dealer would be able to tell I was running an aftermarket tune?

Yes, this has been covered ad nauseam on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Well if you can’t reflash what kind of power is the ea288 putting down and mpg’s after the fix?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Still has 150 hp and gets 40’s mpg that good.
Yep, roughly double our ALH :D

I haven't felt like I needed a tune yet (and remember that I do have a malone tune for my beetle), except possibly for the DSG but I'm waiting for phase 2 before I decide on that.

Anyone know if TD1 flag applies to a DSG *only* tune?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Tune (manual car in my case) will wake up the car all over the throttle range and feel less numb driving casually. The pre/post fix car never felt neutered to me but I was always going to put a tune on well before original warranty was going to go out. Dieselgate delayed it for me but worked out getting the cash from the fixes. I come from supercharged v8’s and wanted the torque but honestly these cars are fun as they come too. I’ll be curious how my stage 2 does for mileage over the next few fill ups if I can keep my foot out of it. The tune wakes up the car all over the range now and noticeably pulls harder.

Last edited: