www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:09   #691
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Not me, I’m running all that expensive oem/ZF trans service, diff, and trans case fluid. Saving containers and using FCPEuro’s warranty program makes the cost closer to $335 instead of $600. I just need to preload the next service and keep items on hand and ready to return the service items. All legit, and confirmed multiple times by reps in different venues.

Purchase initial kit and fluids -$600
Perform service and drive x miles
Purchase another identical set - $600
Perform service and return all used parts and fluids -$75
-$1275
Receive credit back to card for $600
-$675 for two full service kits (obviously trans miles vs what’s needed for diff and trans case is different)
-$335 cost per kit if you are willing to do that legwork.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:07   #692
jck66
Veteran Member

I wonder if some of the transfer case issues stem from the fact that (at least on the E60 and F10 chassis) you need to lower/move the exhaust to even access the transfer case, and there's no drain so you have to pull it out, invert, refill, and re-install. Then put the exhaust back. Oh, and then have the dealer tell the car's ECU about the replaced fluid. So maybe lots of owners just blow this maintenance off until the thing fails.

FWIW, a (well-respected, well-known, not on tdiclub) BMW guru recommends 50k fluid changes. I am guilty of holding off with a fluid change on my wife's car (currently at just shy of 90k) but will have to bite the bullet at some point. Cheaper to do the maintenance.
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:27   #693
dmanb2b
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
The Wagons are only available in Xdrive.....so what do you do...
Sorry, missed the wagon part. May not be great on MPG, but I'd go with an x5d if I needed the wagon space. That drivetrain is pretty solid.
Old May 25th, 2018, 19:33   #694
gcodori
Veteran Member

When I was researching my TDI replacement I was told that the x-drive can be partially "fixed" by unbolting the front driveshaft and removing it thereby converting it to RWD. I think there was a sensor to unplug, and it threw no codes. Drove normally this way. This was stated by owners, but a pinch of salt may be needed.

Granted, this was on the x5 forums, not the 3 series cars. Same units?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
I wonder if some of the transfer case issues stem from the fact that (at least on the E60 and F10 chassis) you need to lower/move the exhaust to even access the transfer case, and there's no drain so you have to pull it out, invert, refill, and re-install. Then put the exhaust back. Oh, and then have the dealer tell the car's ECU about the replaced fluid. So maybe lots of owners just blow this maintenance off until the thing fails.

FWIW, a (well-respected, well-known, not on tdiclub) BMW guru recommends 50k fluid changes. I am guilty of holding off with a fluid change on my wife's car (currently at just shy of 90k) but will have to bite the bullet at some point. Cheaper to do the maintenance.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old May 25th, 2018, 20:04   #695
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
One guru here says if you change the lubricant in the transfer case every 20K miles it'll do fine. I think it's listed as a "lifetime" fill. People don't like to change it as the gear oil is about $90/liter, but it doesn't take much. 6 oz or something like that.
Do you sell it?
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:00   #696
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37