www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old December 28th, 2017, 09:37   #1
fastcar4re
Veteran Member

Default 2015 Jetta TDI Incandescent to LED

Has anyone with regular incandescent exterior bulbs replaced such with LED bulbs? Sylvania makes LED bulbs that are direct substitutes for the stock OEM bulbs. I've been thinking of swapping out my rear brake and rear turn signal bulbs for better visibility for others. Anyone with any experience with these?
fastcar4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 15:20   #2
Dieseline
Veteran Member

I've only replaced my drls and front turn signals so far. Will be going led for the rear soon, but have heard they will trip the bulb out error and hyper flash. But the hyper flash will only be in your cluster, the bulbs flash at the normal rate. Good luck, post how you make out.
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:51   #3
fastcar4re
Veteran Member

Thanks. Did replacing the front turn signals with LED cause hyper-flash in your case? If not, why not? My understanding is that because LED pull less current, such trips the relay and puts it into hyper-flash.
fastcar4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:57   #4
Dieseline
Veteran Member

Yes they caused hyper flash. The system detects less resistance in the light circuit, making it think there's a bulb out. There are load resistors that duplicate the resistance of a normal bulb, this prevents the bulb out/hyper flash message. I won't wire them into my car, as they get very hot. I don't need any issues with damage to my wiring harness from heat, or possibly even a fire.
Old January 1st, 2018, 14:26   #5
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I replaced all the bulbs in my interior with leds bright but have had some of the go out....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:04   #6
16vjohn

The good/expensive LEDs have resistors built in to keep the current where it needs to be. Though, I have yet to see a retrofit bulb for rear exterior that wasn't obviously a retrofit. You know, where the beam is bright in the middle, but doesn't fill out the rest of the reflector lens. Seems like a great way to lose in a rear-end collision case.

15 Jetta TDI 42k // 12 Honda Odyssey
Retired: 13 Passat, Buyback // 01 Jetta TDI 177k // 98 Jetta TDI 291k // 00 Jetta TDI 240k // 91 300D 2.5T // 90 Jetta TD
16vjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:14   #7
Dieseline
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
The good/expensive LEDs have resistors built in to keep the current where it needs to be. Though, I have yet to see a retrofit bulb for rear exterior that wasn't obviously a retrofit. You know, where the beam is bright in the middle, but doesn't fill out the rest of the reflector lens. Seems like a great way to lose in a rear-end collision case.
Can you please post a link to front led turn signals that don't trip bulb out error for the 15 Jetta? I spent $60 for the pair of mine that we're supposed to be non error, but obviously they're not. Even deautokey says theirs need resistors. My 09 never had this issue. I appreciate, will buy them today if they work! Thanks
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:00   #8
16vjohn

I guess my comments are anecdotal as I have no personal experience with LED retrofit. Just passing a long the comments from my local Euro club. To be honest, I'm shocked that even the Chinese companies are making LED retrofit bulbs without resistors. The fast flash is well known and probably impacts most cars. For example, the LED retrofit lenses used on flatbeds and semi trucks have resistors built. You can see them on the board through the plastic.

Retired: 13 Passat, Buyback // 01 Jetta TDI 177k // 98 Jetta TDI 291k // 00 Jetta TDI 240k // 91 300D 2.5T // 90 Jetta TD
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:49   #9
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: T2: 25-26avg/A6: 49

what LED bulb brand are folks going with? I pulled the tail assembly and at least on mine, they only hold incandescent/incandescent base shape. There is no slot for an LED.
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:28   #10
Dieseline
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsTDI View Post
what LED bulb brand are folks going with? I pulled the tail assembly and at least on mine, they only hold incandescent/incandescent base shape. There is no slot for an LED.
Go to the classifieds for vendors on this forum . You will find deautokey advertising. They have any LED bulbs you will want for your VW. I just found they do have LED front turn signals with the correct resistors installed. Something is weird about the 15 TDI, my LEDs from my 09 Jetta will set a bulb out error (never did on my 09). So I ordered them Friday and received them Monday. Installed and no more error or hyperflash. And I had tried other more expensive brands,that were supposed to be error free for the tdi, but weren't. Good luck, they have discount codes on the home page as well!
Old January 23rd, 2018, 15:59   #11
deAutoLED.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseline View Post
Can you please post a link to front led turn signals that don't trip bulb out error for the 15 Jetta? I spent $60 for the pair of mine that we're supposed to be non error, but obviously they're not. Even deautokey says theirs need resistors. My 09 never had this issue. I appreciate, will buy them today if they work! Thanks
Quote:
Go to the classifieds for vendors on this forum . You will find deautokey advertising. They have any LED bulbs you will want for your VW. I just found they do have LED front turn signals with the correct resistors installed. Something is weird about the 15 TDI, my LEDs from my 09 Jetta will set a bulb out error (never did on my 09). So I ordered them Friday and received them Monday. Installed and no more error or hyperflash. And I had tried other more expensive brands,that were supposed to be error free for the tdi, but weren't. Good luck, they have discount codes on the home page as well!
What bulb model / color / and location (is it brake/tail or just turns) We have something new that will work so we are unsure when you were told they would not work but we feel we have something for you, if you can give us more info we will help.

Thank you
deAutoLED.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 18:38   #12
Dieseline
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deAutoLED.com View Post
What bulb model / color / and location (is it brake/tail or just turns) We have something new that will work so we are unsure when you were told they would not work but we feel we have something for you, if you can give us more info we will help.
Thank you
You quoted me correcting myself, that you did have the correct LEDs. I bought them from you, work great! Thanks
Old January 24th, 2018, 09:01   #13
deAutoLED.com

Quote:
You quoted me correcting myself, that you did have the correct LEDs. I bought them from you, work great! Thanks
Sorry for not catching that.

Thanks for the update and the support, we appreciate it.
deAutoLED.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 13:42   #14
16vjohn

Since December, has anyone successfully done an exterior bulb retrofit? I saw a Chevy Cavalier that couldn't have been newer than 2001 with LED rears. Looked like a retrofit bulb, it was super bright and looked like it belonged in there. I wonder if new product is on the market.

Old April 18th, 2018, 18:46   #15
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: T2: 25-26avg/A6: 49

They exist. I saw them on philipsautolighting.

In the past month, on my 15JettaTDI, I did all of the exterior rears in LED, except for the rear blinker bulbs. While the LED turn signal bulbs that I tried worked properly on the exterior, it caused a fast blinking inside on the console. (I think deAutoLED bulbs do not have this issue) I may revisit the rear blinkers at some point.

Last edited by CsTDI; April 18th, 2018 at 18:51.
CsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote