www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old December 14th, 2017, 16:03   #1
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's
Default Winter Front 2015 Jetta TDI

I can't find one so used the 3/4 inch foam pipe insulation lIke on other Tdi's in the past. I blocked all the upper openings in the grill. With -20 degs C or 0 degs F the temperature gauge got up 207 degs F. Now without, the max it has gotten to in the cold here, has been 195 degs F. Like in the past using the foam is the best way to go, as only cost some 4 dollars and that was 3 lenths of it. I didn't use all 3 so keep what was left over for later if they need replacing.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 05:18   #2
FXDL
Veteran Member

WARNING " Do not block the grill on a 2015 TDI." What happens is the dash gave me a warning, low voltage when idling and fueling up. My scan gauge II indicated 13.2 volts only when running on the highway. I pulled over and checked under the hood. No problem under the hood. I also removed all the foam pipe insulation, that I had blocking the upper grill areas. Now back on the high way the voltage went back up to 14.2 volts. It looks like the alternator and charging system has over heat protection and the alternator goes into it's, lets say limp mode by dropping the voltage output. With less load on it helps to protect it, lets it run cooler. So running too hot, it drops it's output of voltage/watts down. Now if for what ever reason the upper grill got blocked, say with ice or what ever the same would occur.
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:50   #3
abaron
Veteran Member

The 2015 has active grill shutters. They will close and open as needed; your foam may have been preventing that from happening.

I believe there having been discussions of the usefulness of closing off the grill on the newer cars, with many people saying it was not helpful.

Though my memory may not be clear I don’t remember seeing many closed off grill when I was up north last February in -20 weather.
Old December 19th, 2017, 13:09   #4
FXDL
Veteran Member

Yes I know the car has Sutters, but I believe only the lower part of the grill.