Installing A-Pillar trim on '12 Golf TDI

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I should have known it was going to be PIA given the contortions to remove it, but I would have never suspected such a degree of misery to get that piece back on there! Who has done this before and *not* cursed up a storm?

I pulled it to run wiring for a V1 and Gentex mirror and though it would be easier a more proper way than going into the overhead/sunroof - it was not!

I fear for those who may need a windscreen replacement someday - they usually pull that trim to start the sealant cut and often bugger up putting even the simple trims properly - I doubt many will be gentle shoe horning that thing back and have it look the same!

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
DIY on removal?
There were a few postings about removing this in the forums, none of which mentioned how horrendous based on the impossibly tight fit and angle to reinstall. Pulling it out (inward toward center of dash and then up) wasn't so much of a problem as the plastic bends and conforms as you pull it out.

The plastic "airbag" button can be removed without breaking it, but you need to pull it out slightly and then push the tabs inward with a small tool - other wise you have a 50% chance of wrecking it.