//// need new cv joints / axles ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi all,

After 325k, my inner cv joint is now clicking / worn out.

Looking for advice on what new cv joint / axle assembly is best to get .... ideally i want a good assembly that will last a long time and be trouble free.

I know OEM vw parts are often the best but are generally super expensive for some ( most?) Things .... where is the cheapest place to get these OEM reoplacements?

As an aside, I've read raxles are supposed to be pretty good (I'm calling them later today to check prices etc...

How are idparts cv axles? I have bought plenty of stuff from them over the years....

Are there any other places worth checking out for really good parts?

I've thought about the "normal" places like advance auto, auto zone, napa, etc .... how are their cv axles? They are generally low price but I wouldn't necessarily mind paying more for good stuff ...

Any advice and input would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
I already used aftermarket ones and they seem pretty good (surely not as though as the oem ones) but will last approx 5 years if

The main reason for premature failures are :
- lack of verification for leakage (I do it every oil change)
- using incorrect amount of grease

If you go with aftermarket use a good known brand.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I already used aftermarket ones and they seem pretty good (surely not as though as the oem ones) but will last approx 5 years if
How can you possibly know they will last approximately 5 years? Have you had prior experience with the once you've got?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
How can you possibly know they will last approximately 5 years? Have you had prior experience with the once you've got?

He's from Morocco, The rest of the world (ROW) gets different products than we do here. Where we struggle dealing with the flood of cheap chinese everything.

Personally I'd like mine to last longer than 5 years and I drive 35-45K miles a year. GKN is the OEM manufacturer of VW axles.

Take note GKN is not GSP also available at idparts.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just from what I've read, it's best to keep the factory axle and replace with OE joints. Also note, on the manual shift you can swap them side to side.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
There are several you tube videos on doing the MK4 axles. Rebuilding with a GKN joint is much more preferable than buying a chinese axle.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and advice ...

I was ultimately torn between buying a lifetime warranted Raxle, trying to rebuild the factory axles I have, or spending extra $$ and getting pre built ready to go fill oem axles ...

I called Raxles and got prices from them and learned that they wanted my originals back as cores ....

I also looked into buying good rebuild kits from i d parts but after buying all the parts pieces and Boots price cane close to full pre-built oem axle. ... plus I would have to learn how to rebuild the axles.

When I got the prices of OEM axles from i d parts I decided to go that route because it was only a hundred or so dollars more than the Raxles ( although admittedly it would have been nice to have a lifetime warranty).

The only thing that was a little disconcerning was i d Parts requires I think it was $160 core charge for the driver side axle .... that was not revealed until after I was checking out and the bill seems a little on the high side...

Ultimately I did bite the bullet and get the original equipment axles from i d parts and I'll probably end up keeping and rebuilding my originals or reselling them to recoup some of the costs ...

In the end I have mixed feelings about what I did ...
I know OEM is good but I have heard really good things about Raxles and the lifetime warranty would have been really nice too. ...

I guess for me the important thing is just to get my car on the road again .... this time hopefully we'll get more than 325,000 miles out of them!

Of course if I don't I may be feeling bad I didn't get the lifetime warranted Raxles ....

Anyways that's what I did maybe this discussion can help others when they choose to do their axles

Thanks to all who replied to this thread

Andrew

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)

I have cars since 20years ago, and repair them myself, I also repair friends and family cars.

Aftermarket Cv joints lasts approximatively 5 years then begins to show signs of wear depending on usage and road quality. For city and low quality roads, less than 5 years, for highway good roads more than 5 years.

Of course, when replacing them, the work must be done correctly with the correct amount and quality of grease. I have seen failures after 1 year when replaced incorrectly.

Oem ones are better quality and lasts longer but cost almost double.