High amperage bolt-in alternator upgrade

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
I'm looking for a bolt-in 250-350 amp alternator. I have two amps that are rated at 1600 rms combined. I have a 3.5 farat cap that I will installing but still want a better alternator. Any suggestions?

2012 vw passat tdi

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, probably not gonna happen without some really creative solutions (regarding the power generated and the space available for the package), but you can check out this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451865

You do realize of course, that that much power (1600rms referring to 1600 watts rms?), even with horribly inefficient drivers, is far in excess of what it will take to reduce your hearing ability to nothing and leave you with tinnitus which gets really annoying.

But, hey, they're your ears, man!

Cheers,

PH

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Well, probably not gonna happen without some really creative solutions (regarding the power generated and the space available for the package), but you can check out this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451865
You do realize of course, that that much power (1600rms referring to 1600 watts rms?), even with horribly inefficient drivers, is far in excess of what it will take to reduce your hearing ability to nothing and leave you with tinnitus which gets really annoying.
But, hey, they're your ears, man!
Cheers,
PH
Yes 1600 watts rms. And I’ve read that thread, posted in it too but no response yet. And if you think I ride around with the stereo cracking nonstop you’re wrong, I’m too old for that lol. Just here and there when I get in the mood. But anyways thanks for your help.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Same answer: get efficient speakers.

3 dB is a barely recognizable step up in loudness, and requires a doubling of power. The usual car stuff comes out in the mid-80's in terms of 1W/1m, power input/distance to measurement. So take that at 85 dB, and bump it to 95 and you reduce your power required to deliver SPL to 1/10th.

If you want to get a feel for how doubling things goes, put one grain of rice on a square on a checker board. Two on the next. Repeat until you need an 18-wheeler to carry the next square's worth...:) You will not be out of squares.
cheers,
Douglas

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Same answer: get efficient speakers.

3 dB is a barely recognizable step up in loudness, and requires a doubling of power. The usual car stuff comes out in the mid-80's in terms of 1W/1m, power input/distance to measurement. So take that at 85 dB, and bump it to 95 and you reduce your power required to deliver SPL to 1/10th.

If you want to get a feel for how doubling things goes, put one grain of rice on a square on a checker board. Two on the next. Repeat until you need an 18-wheeler to carry the next square's worth...:) You will not be out of squares.
cheers,
Douglas

Thanks for a answer that still has nothing to do with the question. I have no idea as why you feel the need to keep responding in different posts with answers not answering the question. If I wanna blow out my ear drums let me be.... all I wanna know is if there is a bolt-in high output alternator option for my car.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Can't help you with the alternator but post pics of the set-up [emoji16]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I want to help you blow out your ear drums. Without any of the heroics you seem to think you need...:)

and if you insist on forgoing the shopping/research required to both do it better, and louder, find Ploener's Automotive Products, in Wilmington DE.
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Can't help you with the alternator but post pics of the set-up [emoji16]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Kenwood DNN991 head unit

CDT audio HD-61Pro/ CR 6.5" Front Rear System

JL W7 12 sub

3.5 farad cap

Alpine pdx 1.1000 and 4.150 amps

Big 3 upgrade, 1/0 power/ground and so on. System sounds really good

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
OP-Looks like a clean set-up! I wish the "Opinion Police" on this site would just answer the original question (about how to outfit a high amp alternator), instead of WHY you want it. It's HIS ears, HIS car, give it a rest people. You will NEVER likely even hear this guy on the road. Damn Internet Police strike again!

And yes, I have a small system too (one 10", two amps, 6.5" components), but personal freedom is paramount for me....

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Not knocking him for his stereo goals, but do you really need 300A alternator for the few seconds a speak actually hits? Or would a smaller upgrade with modest battery capacity increase do the job?

Just trying to help him reach end goal, even if its not the path he envisioned to get there.

Jason.

PS: looked into larger alternator for different reasons a few years back - water cooled Touareg alternator looked like a reliable option for continuous high load at the rating you are looking at.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
OP-Looks like a clean set-up! I wish the "Opinion Police" on this site would just answer the original question (about how to outfit a high amp alternator), instead of WHY you want it. It's HIS ears, HIS car, give it a rest people. You will NEVER likely even hear this guy on the road. Damn Internet Police strike again!
And yes, I have a small system too (one 10", two amps, 6.5" components), but personal freedom is paramount for me....

Thanks. Someone finally gets it. Lol.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Not knocking him for his stereo goals, but do you really need 300A alternator for the few seconds a speak actually hits? Or would a smaller upgrade with modest battery capacity increase do the job?

Just trying to help him reach end goal, even if its not the path he envisioned to get there.

Jason.

PS: looked into larger alternator for different reasons a few years back - water cooled Touareg alternator looked like a reliable option for continuous high load at the rating you are looking at.

I have a 10 farad cap now. In the picture I had a 3.5 farad cap. It stopped charging and my lights were dimming thats why I'm looking into a upgraded alt. Plus the amps could draw up to another 140 amps. That's really taxing the stock alternator so I'm pretty much on borrowed time with one I have now. Especially since I have over 188k on it now.