BEW Turbo Failure

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
Hello,
After 635k-km, my original turbo blew pulling away from a stop. High pitched noise and no power. All boost hoses look tight and intact.

I drove about 1km on city streets home. Is there any concern of debris in the engine due to the internal interference in the turbo?

Buy an upgraded unit and a tune ?

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
check intercooler for debris check turbo to judge debris level.chances are your good

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You should be fine for chunks, just check all adjacent bits that connect to the turbo.
I would just replace with the factory KP39 or VNT-17. VNT-17 provides a bit more boost. Shop for a better price, but be careful with ebay, amazon, alibaba, and other disreputable vendors, they may have less than quality parts. If you must budget take your chance with a used one or find a reputable rebuild.

Tune is always nice.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
Inspection revealed a sheered off and crashed compressor. Turbine was connected to shaft all the way to the front and intact.

I have only inspected the first rubber pipe on the compressor outlet and it is clean. The mechanical break was clean but I see a small bit of metal in oil change. It was very faint. The hanging drip off the turbo drain line was silvery.

Im in the process of installing a new Garrett VNT17 from trusted vendor. Not running yet.

Last edited: