which gen tdi is most reliable?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
This is only half correct. MKIII parts are scarce, but I'm hard pressed to think of anything that's NLA for MKIVs, except for some interior trim pieces. VW built so many of these for so many markets I'm confident that parts will continue to be available for a long time to come.

Regarding reliability, when properly maintained, MKIV TDIs are very reliable, in my experience. Sure they need repairs when things wear out, but I've experienced very, very few unexpected failures on any of the 6 MKIVs my family has owned. My Wagon has only stranded me twice in 17 plus years and 400K miles. And one of those was because of a failed lift pump (modification). Seems pretty good to me.

Yes interior trim pieces can be a problem. My 2000 NB glove box door doesnot have a handle or lock on it anymore.... nor has it for at least 5 years...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Does the warranty go with the car or just the first person who buys it from the stealership after the fix ?
Is it like a bumper to bumper or just for the emission components ?(snipped by Nick for brevity)
I got one of the Dieselgate vehicles. I've already had to take it to VW Scottsdale for warranty work. They correctly diagnosed a cracked cold-side boost hose and replaced it, along with replacing a faulty NOx sensor. These were fixed under warranty with $0 cost to me and zero hassle. Plus they fixed my rear-center seat belt which was binding, as a courtesy to me. The warranty is good for 48K miles or 4 years. This is the exact language in my 2010 Touareg V6 Tdi's Supplemental Warranty Pamphlet below. I have added some formatting to highlight certain sections or items of interest.

Section of my Dieselgate Touareg's warranty said:
Parts Covered Under Extended Emissions Warranty
The Extended Emissions Warranty covers the entire emissions control
system, including (1) all components which are replaced as part of the
emissions modification, and (2) any component which can reasonably be
impacted by effects of the emissions modification.

The Extended Emissions Warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:

 The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalytic converter (DOC), the Selective Catalytic
Reduction (SCR) Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the
dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system
components, any exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure common
rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
 The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valve, EGR
bypass valve, EGR cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all
sensors and actuators;
 The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all
sensors and actuators;
 The Engine Control Unit (ECU) and the Transmission Control Unit (TCU);
and
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, and any malfunctions detected
by the OBD system

Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine subassembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.

In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of your
Volkswagen vehicle, your dealer will diagnose and replace the emissionsrelated components listed in this section, if necessary, at no cost to you
as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this
warranty extension.
This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of the
emissions-related components listed in this section. Should you ever sell
the vehicle, this warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent
owners.

This warranty extension will not cover:
 Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of emissions-related
parts not certified by the U.S. EPA or California Air Resources Board
(CARB), including such damage or malfunction to parts needed for
proper diagnosis of a covered part; or
 Damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as damage
due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect, but only if the damage
or malfunction is causally related to the accident or vehicle misuse.
All normal warranty provisions remain in effect. The Extended Emissions
Warranty includes parts, labour, and applicable taxes. The Extended
Emissions Warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty.
Customer Notices
For vehicles that do not receive the emissions modification, certain
emissions-related replacement and repair parts may at some point no
longer be available from Volkswagen. Accordingly, in the future, if your
unmodified vehicle requires maintenance and repairs of the emissions
system, we may need to perform the approved emissions modification
first, including installing the Engine Control Unit (ECU) associated with
the approved emissions modification. This may lead to changes to your
vehicle’s operation or performance resulting from those modifications
as discussed in this booklet.
If the vehicle has been modified by the customer prior to receiving the
emissions modification in a manner that may yield a non-compliant
emissions system (for example, removal of a catalyst, installation of
parts that impact emissions or emissions-related parts, or modifications
to the ECU or computer software of the vehicle), Volkswagen may not
be able to perform the emissions modification until the customer
corrects such modification.

Transferability
This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent
owners.
The way I interpret it, is that ANYTHING which causes the MIL light to light is covered. For me, that included one NOx sensor and 1 cold-side boost hose. The seat belt issue was fixed for free because VW Scottsdale is a great dealership who will be getting my business!

That is better than the original warranty. VW cannot afford to screw this up by not servicing these vehicles according to the consent decree (CD) they signed--it's likely that the EPA and CARB wrote in severe punishments and fines if they fail to live up the the CD.

By making this post, I am in no way claiming or arguing that the Dieselgate (DG) vehicles will be trouble-free or anything of that nature. I'm just pointing out how nice it is to have a new-car warranty (a good one!) at used-car prices. Yes, the DG era vehicles are newfangled and complicated compared to the awesome 'Chuck Norris' Tdi's of yore (of which I'm a huge fan myself, and would have bought another, if one could tow my trailer!) , but I don't think it will be any harder to work on basic engine stuff than my BMW 335d was.

Talking about depreciation: I got a nice, modern, highly capable towing machine which originally listed at $54k for $9995, with a warranty that exceeds the original warranty --IMO--, still has brand-new, real leather & 4-corner air suspension (I'm a huge fan of air suspensions) and everything works. The vehicle has only minor dents and interior flaws (missing plastic bits here and there).

On a trip to Verde Valley Wine trail from Phoenix and back yesterday, I got 33.1 mpg, and I wasn't going slow.

The market resembles a snake with a hump in the middle from its last meal: right now the availability of DG buy-back cars being sold @ dealerships is great, but soon there won't be any but the crappy ones. Were I in your position, I'd look for a beetle with stick. A quick search on Cargurus lists 51 manual-transmission New Beetles for sale nationwide, where the vast majority are DG buyback cars.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You can still buy a glove box for the beetle. You just may not want to spend the $600+ the dealer wants for it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I actually bought an entire wrecked Jetta Wagon in partnership with my mechanic. He needed the auto trans, I wanted the glove box. It was cheaper to buy the car than a glove box. Harvested some other good stuff, too.

Exlogger

TDI
2006 Jetta
2006 TDI BRM vs BEW

I lasted visited in Jan 2018 when tranny mechatronic went out in my 2006 Jetta TDI, thanks to some help here and UTube, I found a new one & replaced but now have engine problem & need to replace it. Major failure and not economical to rebuild from what I can find so looking at a "used" replacement... I found a reasonably priced 2006 TDI engine but PROBLEM:
My current engine ID is a BRM, used one is a BEW; also, my 5th digit VIN is T, used one is R... can anyone advise me if this "used" engine will work with these differences in Engine ID and VIN digits?
From what I can find, there are differences in the injectors which shouldn't be a problem (?), but I do have concerns with wiring harnesses & other connections / bolt patterns (tranny) and whatever else being located same as current engine???.... Looking to remove/replace engine myself as shop costs are too high (they say 11-14 hours to remove/install).. I love this car, bought it new in 2007 but unfortunately must face possible reality of scraping it..
Any and all suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated!