What are my options for a new key cut to my vehicle besides dealer?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
If you get keys from VW (assuming you mean keys cut already based on VIN) you can then use Tacho to get the SKC and program the RFID. Even though you can't start the engine, the keys will let you turn the ignition on to power the dash. The new keys will need "blank" RFID chips in them

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
the Secret Key Code... where would one typically find that?

If you don't have VAG-Tacho

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Is it possible to read the SKC w/o the ignition being ON?
Couldn't you hotwire the ignition to switch the "key On", without trying to start it? This sounds like something you wouldn't want to mess with, on someone else's car, lest you fry something and make it worse.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Couldn't you hotwire the ignition to switch the "key On", without trying to start it? This sounds like something you wouldn't want to mess with, on someone else's car, lest you fry something and make it worse.
Yeah, I'm not really involved other than a conversation, so really don't want to toss my body into something that is going to be difficult/problematic. Was thinking more along the lines of providing instruction (to someone who was absentminded enough to lose their ONLY key! o_O).

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Nope it was key only and he acted liked I was a bother which pisses me off considering I have bought tons of crap from them and went through dieselgate with 2 cars, I am not worried about programming I have done it many times before and have a rosstech cable, I just want the key and cut.
Unless I am missing something, Vag-Com isn't going to reprogram the ECU/Transponder.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Does this neighbor have AAA? That might take care of the towing expense.

If not, and if you already have VagTacho, then that's all you really need once the keys from the dealer arrive since, as mentioned, they will turn to On and allow the ECU to be scanned.

VagCom/VCDS wouldn't be needed in this case since VagTacho overlaps with RFID programming functionality. And, as mentioned,VCDS can't get the SKC anyway, so you'd need one of the other tools regardless (VagTacho or kw1281test.)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Problem we've encountered is that dealers aren't locksmiths. Ones I've talked to have difficulty cutting keys correctly, either because of poor equipment or inexperienced operators. So they're reluctant to do it. They don't want to cut a customer's key blank to then have it not work.

I spoke to a customer yesterday who bought an aftermarket key and his car won't run because of the immo chip being incorrect. He took the car to an independent shop who pulled the cluster and sent it out to have the immo defeated. He's been waiting two weeks, no car yet. Had to rent a car twice for work because his is down.

As a friend of mine says, people will expend a lot of time and money to save themselves a small amount of time and money. It would have been easier to simply buy a replacement key from the dealer.
While I understand your sentiment. It was $60 for a virgin fob and blade for my car. And $120 for the locksmith to cut and program. Dealer woulda charged $500... I've got a mk6

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Thanks for the replies, folks. I don't have the neighbor's phone number and would have to drive a ways up the road to locate them. I'm kind of not in the position to be taking any more stuff on: my heart is there, but... Kind of just curious so that the next time I run across anything like this I'll have a lot better understanding (I just kind of stated that nothing special is needed; clearly that was NOT correct; I got it all confused with the steps required to ADD a key when one already has a viable key).