DRL bulb socket replacement?

Jwfrankman

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Hey all, first time poster here...

We bought my son a 2012 Passat TDI SEL about a month ago--love it. However, the passenger DRL bulb had fallen into the reflector compartment, and after a sufficient amount of time, swearing, and ritual sacrifice, I finally managed to extract the bulb.

It looks like the socket is cracked and won't hold the bulb, and apparently this individual part can't be had? I know a buddy who owns a salvage yard that's keeping an eye out, but does anyone know if there's any way to replace this piece without replacing the whole wiring harness (which is what the local VW shop suggested)?

I'm sure the proprietary nature of the beast would ensure that an aftermarket socket for that particular size bulb wouldn't seat correctly, but maybe that's just me and my irritable pessimism.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jason

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It's a standard socket, just go find one that is the correct bulb and swap it over. I have had fantastic results with jb weld brand plastic epoxy and also the putty. Might give that a try.

mrw3685

TDI
2013 Passat
EXACT thing happened to me yesterday. Was getting an intermittent DRL caution and found the socket was ever so slightly cracked. Removed the headlight to easily fetch the bulb, and epoxied the socket. Fixed it for a day; suspect the epoxy either ran too much or got hot? Let me know if you locate a replacement. Mine is a 2013 Passat, and the socket in lips from the wire bundle easily to replace, but I can’t find one!

Jwfrankman

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I'll try to get back to this when it warms up a bit, but a non-heated garage makes for a miserable experience under the hood in these parts. It's easy to find a socket for that bulb, but they're def not interchangable from what I've found. Many diff sizes/shapes and none that I've seen look like they'd fit, let alone twist and lock in correctly.

Am I missing something? The first response made it seem like any old bulb holder would do...