Replace New Beetle Alternator - a guide.

Dave89

TDI
1998 & 1999 Beetle
So I'm trying this project on my 98 beetle. Followed all the steps and I go to slide the alternator out and it seems to hit the power steering pump before I get very far out at all. Is the ps pump in a different location on the 98's vs all the other alh's or am I just not wiggling or moving the alternator right? Does that pump need to move to get it out?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So I'm trying this project on my 98 beetle. Followed all the steps and I go to slide the alternator out and it seems to hit the power steering pump before I get very far out at all. Is the ps pump in a different location on the 98's vs all the other alh's or am I just not wiggling or moving the alternator right? Does that pump need to move to get it out?

Thanks in advance.

The power steering pump is above the alternator. I don't know how you would be hitting that.

Dave89

TDI
1998 & 1999 Beetle
The power steering pump is above the alternator. I don't know how you would be hitting that.
Yea I know it is, I used a pry bar while laying underneath the car and the alternator started moving like I would expect and then it came to a hard stop. A guy cant see the best up in there but it sure looks like it is tight up against the bottom of the ps pump and the a/c compressor bracket wont let it move down to clear it. If no one else has had the problem on a 98 I'll assume your right and I'm just not moving it right. Appreciate the input!

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yea I know it is, I used a pry bar while laying underneath the car and the alternator started moving like I would expect and then it came to a hard stop. A guy came see the best up in there but it sure looks like it is tight up against the bottom of the ps pump and the a/c compressor bracket wont let it move down to clear it. If no one else has had the problem on a 98 I'll assume ur right and I'm just moving it right. Appreciate the input!

I usually turn the alternator in its perch so that it's heading ass end towards the radiator, then have it drop down to towards the ground.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Early 1998 ALH NBs do use the old style Bosch alternator, which is a tiny bit bigger (same one the AHU cars use).

I cannot tell you about clearance issues, though, as I generally do all ALH NB alternators "by the book" and pull the front clip loose. It is just so easy to do, I don't care about the time involved, I don't like fighting anything. I think the labor time is something like 4 hours, but seriously it does not take that long even taking everything off. Hardest part is getting the headlights out, so if you can change a headlight bulb in one, you literally have already done the worst of it. The rest is cake easy, just a bunch of Torx screws really.

Seriously, if you watched me take an NB front clip off, you'd see just how easy and stress free it is. Then the lock carrier can be slid out into service position in about 30 seconds, and you will now have PLENTY of room to swap the alternator. Laughable it is so easy, I wish every car was as easy to take apart and put back together.

Last edited:

Dave89

TDI
1998 & 1999 Beetle
Early 1998 ALH NBs do use the old style Bosch alternator, which is a tiny bit bigger (same one the AHU cars use).

I cannot tell you about clearance issues, though, as I generally do all ALH NB alternators "by the book" and pull the front clip loose. It is just so easy to do, I don't care about the time involved, I don't like fighting anything. I think the labor time is something like 4 hours, but seriously it does not take that long even taking everything off. Hardest part is getting the headlights out, so if you can change a headlight bulb in one, you literally have already done the worst of it. The rest is cake easy, just a bunch of Torx screws really.

Seriously, if you watched me take an NB front clip off, you'd see just how easy and stress free it is. Then the lock carrier can be slid out into service position in about 30 seconds, and you will now have PLENTY of room to swap the alternator. Laughable it is so easy, I wish every car was as easy to take apart and put back together.
I think that's the route I'm going to go now. Like everyone else im always looking for the quickest way to get the job done but your spot on that sometimes a little extra time in disassembly is well worth removing the aggravation of struggling around blind trying to get something done. I'll have to figure out how to pull the front clip off.
Thanks!

Technoid

TDI
2002 golf and 2003 beetle 2010 jetta

By front clip do the fenders have to come off? What is procedure to he to service position of rad ? Thanks