High output ALH alternator upgrade...

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
I have a couple 180 amp alternators around here somewhere. I should try to find them.
From what vehicles? Air cooled I'll assume, and if they end up fitting in an ALH engine bay.. I might be interested in buying one perhaps? As a spare.. can never have too many spare parts when one drives 70000miles a year.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got my supposedly ordered air cooled 150 amp touareg alternator... From a 2006...

Ha. Tag says it's from a 2007. Says it's a 150amp one. But the alternator is a water cooled 190amp one.

So I ordered a 150, got a 190... For the price of a 150. :)

I just might keep it and use it... Still debating.

Was talking to a VW buddy. I asked him where he would plumb it into...

He suggested on the oil cooler coolant lines. I think it's a great idea... Never occurred to me. And it makes sense.. The oil cooler is right near the alternator!

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Or how about plumbing it via the EGR delete coolant bypass hose that I had installed? Might make routing easier, but longer than using the oil cooler idea.

Also suggested, is a completely isolated cooling loop for it. Small pump, small rad. I like this idea too, but what do you get for quality in terms of pumps and lifespans? I know they make flow meters for computer liquid cooling.. short of adapting something like that, what is there available in terms of monitoring for a isolated loop in the car? I'd like to know of an issue before the alternator would die because of overheating issues.

I think so far, the easiest, and probably cheapest way would be using the deleted EGR coolant section...

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
VR6 MkIV Jetta even had a small "radiator" on the passenger side where the intercooler is on TDI and 1.8T.

Jason
Huh. Could that be mounted on the driver's side? Would give me an excuse to remove that little grill to match the removed passenger one. Didn't occur to me to fit it there either.. great idea. Thanks.

smokeum99ta

TDI
2012 VW passat tdi se
Huh. Could that be mounted on the driver's side? Would give me an excuse to remove that little grill to match the removed passenger one. Didn't occur to me to fit it there either.. great idea. Thanks.

I know this is an old.thread. but how is that new alternator setup working? And if you could what did do to make it work?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Let me just suggest hunting up better speakers. Efficiency at that end is much easier than going to some silly wattage. Get SPL measurements from 1 Watt at 1 meter above 96 dB and that pile of amps is going to be doing paperweight duty.

Then sink your 401k into hearing aid companies, they will be making much money.
cheers,
Douglas