OBDeleven curious

vintage red matthew

TDI
2004 New Beetle
I know that VAG-COM has been the standard for years and still may well be for professionals and advanced hobbyist but it's looking pretty good for me, the average Joe that wants to do most of his own work.

Pros:

Half (or less) the price.

Android phone interface. I won't need to have to dedicate a laptop to vehicle diagnosis. More money saved.

Unlimited VINs.

Cons:

May, or may be able to access some of the higher level features.

Seems to me to be less intuitive but I could be wrong about that.

Since it is newer it may not have the same level of support.

You have to pay or watch a lot of ads to get points so you can make changes. They have to make money somehow and once you make the changes you probably wont have to again. Also, I have a Mk4 and most of the changes are not available to me anyway.

If you know of other Pros or Cons let me know.

Will I be able to program new keys?

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
You can long code with obdeleven just like with vcds, it's just a little clumsy in my experience. I have never watched an ad for or on obdeleven (I did buy the "pro" version) and they add credits almost every time I open the app and connect it to my car. As for support, there is PLENTY, there are whole forums of users that freely share their knowledge of how they are using it (those forums are ad supported but not at an annoying level). I have found obdeleven to be perfect for what I need it for.

vintage red matthew

TDI
2004 New Beetle
You can long code with obdeleven just like with vcds, it's just a little clumsy in my experience. I have never watched an ad for or on obdeleven (I did buy the "pro" version) and they add credits almost every time I open the app and connect it to my car. As for support, there is PLENTY, there are whole forums of users that freely share their knowledge of how they are using it (those forums are ad supported but not at an annoying level). I have found obdeleven to be perfect for what I need it for.
That's good to know.

Will I be able to program keys? That alone would make it worth it to me. I have an extra key and managed to get it cut but it won't start the car.

Also my cruise used to work if you pulled up on the clutch pedal. I removed the switch to check it. It tested OK but now the cruise won't work at all. Is this likely to help me with that?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
OBDEleven does not have as comprehensive or accurate built in assistance as VCDS. It is about as powerful otherwise.

It will not retrieve SKC for keymatching.

It also does not work if the Android device you're using it on does not have an active internet connection. VCDS works just fine on offline devices.

On older vehicles it can also take OBDEleven significantly longer to identify a vehicle and get you to the point of being able to actually start your diagnostics, whereas with VCDS you can just go straight to selecting a control module and get about doing whatever you need to without hesitation.

I also have had a few instances where OBDEleven would not let me do anything at all. For whatever reason just hung up on identifying the car and I couldn't do anything.

Most days isnt an issue, but VCDS is for sure a more stable/reliable and easier/faster to use tool.

I have OBDeleven, I've had a Hex +CAN since 2006 and now also have a Hex-Net. Also have various other scan tools including an Autel Maxi that can do OE protocols for virtually every make out there, Vag Tacho and VDS Pro for deeper hacking mk4/B5 era cars.

jwilliamson

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
So I was thinking about starting a new post, but thought I would reply to this one first to see if I get any help.

My coworker bought an OBDeleven to use on his 2006 jetta TDI. It works flawlessly on his car. We have tried to connect to my 2005 jetta TDI multiple times. It will connect and read the battery voltage and will scan for codes, but we can't access any of the modules. All of the modules have black circles around the numbers (not green). We do get one code for the front, passenger's door lock module. We've tried clearing the cache on the app with no success. The data connection is good, because we can use it on his car sitting right next time without any problem.

Any ideas?? Has anyone had problems with this scanner and MK4s in general?

I would like to purchase one myself, but if it's not going to work on my vehicle, I won't bother.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I know that VAG-COM has been the standard for years and still may well be for professionals and advanced hobbyist but it's looking pretty good for me, the average Joe that wants to do most of his own work.
Pros:
Half (or less) the price.
Android phone interface. I won't need to have to dedicate a laptop to vehicle diagnosis. More money saved.
Unlimited VINs.
Cons:
May, or may be able to access some of the higher level features.
Seems to me to be less intuitive but I could be wrong about that.
Since it is newer it may not have the same level of support.
You have to pay or watch a lot of ads to get points so you can make changes. They have to make money somehow and once you make the changes you probably wont have to again. Also, I have a Mk4 and most of the changes are not available to me anyway.
If you know of other Pros or Cons let me know.
Will I be able to program new keys?

umm.. that's a lot of people here. lol That's how I started here so maybe I graduated to advance hobbyist at some point i guess.

I am glad I went with a tool that can grow with one's needs. Rosstech nowadays offers lower cost solutions (limited VIN usage) and even a free, yet old version of their software that can work with some generic cables out there. I know that's how a lot of people were able to use it back in the day.

My unlimited version is now limited to 2018 and earlier models, but that;s ok with me.