No glow light,no start 06 jetta

Seaside Brian

TDI
2006 jetta
I have 80,000on car 06 jetta tdi went tostart car found no glow light on dash and no start. I checked all fuse on dash and under the hood. I changed the glow plug relay part #038-907-281-D located under fuse block in engine compartment and also the
relay #7M0-951-253-A located on top of fuse block in engine compartment. I have never had any no start problems.If I open up the relay stated above and put match book in relay contact piont the glow light will come on and car will start remove it and car shuts off. Please help ??? Thanks

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Fuses may be OK. Relay isn't likely to be a problem. Usually the problem is getting power to the relays and associated gear. Fuse legs and contacts within the fuse box are a known area of concern. Fuses will test fine but corrosion resistance will not allow current to flow.

Seaside Brian

TDI
2006 jetta
I checked the ob2 and scanner read (lost com with ECM) U0100 (PCM A)
Could you explain more on what I should look at or clean not sure what about what you said.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Fuses will sometimes have a corroded leg or the fuse block where the fuse plugs in will have damage. Resistance caused by corrosion will result in heat damage and possibly more corrosion. These are visual checks that need to be made.

Seaside Brian

TDI
2006 jetta
Where is the ECU located ? I will check futher for corrosion..
The car will glow if I open the contact on the relay on top of fuse panel in engine compartment. It seem to have a couple dead fuse in that panel along with no glow until I open the contact in that relay then it all powers up and glows..

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
On that relay, if you open the contact on one side, it should be closing the contact on the other side. One pin would be closed with no power to the relay and the other pin would be closed with power to the relay.

Seaside Brian

TDI
2006 jetta
Where is the ECM located in 2006 jetta tdi. I want to check the ground.The scanner code said ( Lost communication with ECM PCM A U0100 )

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
At the base of the windshield. HERE is a vortex thread about it. What was the relay that you pulled out and what were the fuses that were blown?

Seaside Brian

TDI
2006 jetta
No fuses are blown they just have no power unless I open the contact on the relay which has 4 legs and is the only one located on top of the fues panel in engine compartment next to the battery. When the contact is open the fuses get power and the glow plug light comes on and the car will start remove the match book from relay contact and the car stalls.

The ECM is under the hood or or dash ??? I want to check the ground on it. but can't locate it.

Seaside Brian

TDI
2006 jetta
The two relays that I have replaced are 1st relay was under the fuse block in engine compartment # 038-907-281-D had to remove battery to change it. Dealer said thats what it would be nope no luck no glow light on dash. 2nd relay changed is on the top of fuse block in engine compartment surrounded by fuses # 7M0-951-253A I put a scanner on the car and says lost Communications with ECU or ECM no fuse check bad. Just no glow light on dash or start.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
The first number is the glow plug relay. It won't cause your problems. The lack of glow plug light indicates that the ECU isn't getting power and without power, it won't start.

The second one is a generic relay that probably has 100 printed on it? It is a generic relay and you need to find out what it does and you need to get a wiring diagram to see where it goes in the circuit.

Abr Mainline

TDI
05 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI
Greetings, love the form very heplful. Thank you to all those that help make it what it is, on that note have a problem with my 05 VW Jetta TDI 1.9. Went to store came out later after work car would not start. Would not turn over at all, checked all fuses were good. Removed starter found to be bad(130,00)plus. Installed new starter now car turns over but will not start. getting codes U0100--- ECM/PCM not talking ????? Fuel pump is not even coming on. Now should I replace the ECM ???? Please help Thanks in advance .

Last edited:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Was any solution ever found? I'm getting the same but intermittent U0100 with no glow plug indicator. I sometimes have to wait 1-2 seconds before the GP light comes on. Sometimes it doesn't come on at all unless I cycle the key over again. If I attempt to start before the glow plug light comes on it will just crank. When it do get it started, occasionally I won't have any DSG control (can't shift to drive and no indicator in the display) until I restart the engine... I'm taking it in to Midtown Service (recommended shop here in Calgary) next Tuesday. Hopefully they can debug this. So far it hasn't left me stranded, but I happens a nearly ever day now, and seems to be getting more frequent.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Took my car in, no definitive cause found. Speculated it may be my Scangauge malfunctioning and interfering with PCM communications. I've unplugged it and hope the problem doesn't re-occur. Kicking myself I didn't think of trying this before taking it in and paying a diagnostics charge...

Last edited:

greasemonster

TDI
2006 jetta
Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem on an 06 Jetta. No glow plug light and this lift pump does not seem to be running. I also noticed my fan kicks on and runs. No fuses blown. In the process of checking relays and grounds.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Fix the lift pump problem first.

Also, not be negative towards using waste oil as fuel, but if you are running "grease" you need to be especially careful running it in your car. In fact, I think that one of the biggest proponents of WVO suggest not using it a PD engined car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawn222

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've been struggling with this problem for a month now, same problems as stated above. No glow plugs, no lift pump, and no start. The problem is intermittent, when the car won't start I can't communicate with the ecu, via vag com or obd2 reader. I have the 2006 TDI, but from what I've read it's displaying all the issues of a bad 109 relay from earlier models. Is there a relay that controles the ecu?

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Was anything ever solved here? I'm having a very similar problem. No crank, no start. Everything appears fine. Gonna probably have my ecu tested next.

STaTTiKK

TDI
Was anything ever solved here? I'm having a very similar problem. No crank, no start. Everything appears fine. Gonna probably have my ecu tested next.
wow got the same issue. Car was running great, then it wasn't. I can't get a glow plug light, have replaced glow plug relay, my brm 2005.5 does not have a relay 109 so at a loss there, have checked all fuses, the crank position sensor etc etc. Still no start no glow plug no fuel pump power. Please help:mad::mad::mad:

Badger85

TDI
06 Jetta
wow got the same issue. Car was running great, then it wasn't. I can't get a glow plug light, have replaced glow plug relay, my brm 2005.5 does not have a relay 109 so at a loss there, have checked all fuses, the crank position sensor etc etc. Still no start no glow plug no fuel pump power. Please help:mad::mad::mad:
Did you ever get this figured out? I’m having the exact same issue

Badger85

TDI
06 Jetta
Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem on an 06 Jetta. No glow plug light and this lift pump does not seem to be running. I also noticed my fan kicks on and runs. No fuses blown. In the process of checking relays and grounds.
Did you ever get this issue figured out? My 06 tdi is doing the exact same thing.

Lee2511

TDI
Golf 5 1.9TDI 2005
Did you ever get this issue figured out? My 06 tdi is doing the exact same thing.
Hi guys. I have the very same problem, I changed oil and filters and glow plugs and I changed the fuel temperature sensor, still my car will crank but not start, my glow plug and engine light does not come on, if I leave my car in the sun, around 2pm or 3pm my car will start perfectly and drive perfectly, I don’t know what to do, any thoughts and suggestions?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
While it's cold, use a hair dryer to warm suspected trouble areas, such as the fuse/relay box under the hood, and the ecu. You should be able to isolate the problem that way.