Suspension Overhaul Job

Derrik

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Hello,
I am pretty new to the forum and I wanted to ask for everyone’s help. I have a 2004 Jetta Wagon TDi BEW. My front struts are completely shot reducing my ride height to a mere 2.5 inches. I am looking into replacing all suspension components. Front springs, struts, mounts, bearings ext. and rear springs, struts, mounts ext. I have landed on the Blistein TC sport strut kit from idparts. These seem to be a popular choice in these forums as a cheap new strut. I am asking for some advice for the procedure itself. Does anyone have any good videos that helped them finish the job or any top tips? Thanks a lot guys.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Derrick,

Can't offer much help with the installation, other than the rears are easy.
The fronts require some special tools. Do get the shock + spring package,
all the mounts, and I went with these spacers to lift the front a tad.

https://www.idparts.com/strut-spacer-individual-a4-p-699.html

I'd also highly recommend an alloy skid plate, which incidentally stiffens
up the front as well as protecting the vulnerable oil pan.

I went with OEM rubber on the control bushings, et al. Poly is a bit harsh IMO. Don't know what tires and rims you've got, but good ones
and 16" is what I run.

Be prepared for a good alignment at the end of it all. Doing it all will transform your wagon.

Derrik

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Thank you for the help. I ordered the full kit for the fronts to fully build a new strut but I gapped on the spacer to raise ride height. I already have a steel skid plate under the car otherwise I think I would have been in trouble long ago. I was wondering if anyone has used two bearing retaining nuts staked on top of each other to raise the height of the strut mount and ride height of the car. In theory this will not add any preload to the spring and will reduce the amount of threaded strut sticking up through the tower but shouldn't have any negative effects. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I was thinking of stripping my old strut down and just using its old bearing retaining nut. This will be my first suspension job and I am not a true mechanic so I wouldn’t do it without the review of more knowledgeable people. Hopefully someone has some insight.

Derrik

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Sorry. I just looked at my new strut and I’m wrong. This will not work. The threads are shorter than I thought.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Switch out the rear bushing on the front control arms with the Audi TT or R32 unit. They are solid rubber, vs the stocker, lol.
Pay attention to the rear axle bushings too, they like to wear out and cause banging in the rear.