Passat Headlights

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Bought this 2015 Passat TDI SE, 6 sp manual almost a year ago. So far a great running car, and really like the ride over my 2003 Jetta tdi I had for 15 years.

Headlights are bit dim, I see people talking about Osram (which I like and use on all vehicles as replacements), Silver Star and other options. Has anyone tried the LastFit LED headlights?

Curious. Watched several plug and play installs on YT, look interesting. Would like a whiter light and better lighting. Don't want to go the HID route until I get back to work part time. Been a slow heal after car/semi tanker accident last year.

Thanks for any ideas.

couleetdi

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Am having the same issue. 2015 Passat TDI with deautokey LED’s and I am going to the side of the fact the housing may be worn out from previous owner frequent night drivings. My JSW’s bright LEDs placed on Passat and same result. So its pretty much confirmed that its done for.

Am considering of going for the upgrade to HID capsule style headlight design, haven’t found one to my liking yet. Hope others can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
H7 osram night breakers laser are quite good, very white and bright

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Bought this 2015 Passat TDI SE, 6 sp manual almost a year ago. So far a great running car, and really like the ride over my 2003 Jetta tdi I had for 15 years.

Headlights are bit dim, I see people talking about Osram (which I like and use on all vehicles as replacements), Silver Star and other options. Has anyone tried the LastFit LED headlights?

Curious. Watched several plug and play installs on YT, look interesting. Would like a whiter light and better lighting. Don't want to go the HID route until I get back to work part time. Been a slow heal after car/semi tanker accident last year.

Thanks for any ideas.

couleetdi
I have the LastFits and like them the more than the Silver Stars or Osrams. I use them on low beam and find they do a great job. I really dislike projection beams as I feel like I'm driving in a tunnel with their sharp cut offs. The LastFits have a very large range of side lumination that I find much more comfortable and safer in spotting animals like deer.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I've really been pleased with the deauto led plug and play, have them for my drl and low beams. Had them for just over a year and done lots of night driving, lifetime warranty...

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I've really been pleased with the deauto led plug and play, have them for my drl and low beams. Had them for just over a year and done lots of night driving, lifetime warranty...

Same here with my JSW. Guess I am better off buying new Passat headlights.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I actually switched hid in from another passat and tested it for a week. I prefer the deauto for simplicity sake and the fact that when i turn on my car and go i want my light to be there, the hid warm up seemed to take so long... led, 2 flickers and bang it's there.

deauto has a black friday sale...

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually switched hid in from another passat and tested it for a week. I prefer the deauto for simplicity sake and the fact that when i turn on my car and go i want my light to be there, the hid warm up seemed to take so long... led, 2 flickers and bang it's there.

deauto has a black friday sale...

Wow! Good to know your honest feedback. Thank you! I am not a fan of HID’s.... I had them on my factory ordered 2008 Mustang GT and ugh..... not great at night drivings. Added HID’s on fog lights, it helped a lot. Halogen fogs wasn’t enough lol.

Ill keep those LED’s and look for better headlights that will accept LED’s without discarding them. They are expensive.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Check out candlepower.com. I bought slightly higher wattage bulbs and re-aimed housings higher. Much improved, <$40 and I never get flashed.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
LEDs I ordered online. Super bright. I notice trucks flash to me when I’m on lowbeams. But small cars never do.

Which LEDs did you buy from?

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

Thanks for any ideas.

couleetdi

You can have someone with a VCDS increase the power output.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I’ve had the deautokey 5K hid set in my low beams for two years now. I am very pleased with them and I do thousands of miles of rural dark highway each year. Warmup is 10-15 seconds, by the time I get moving they are up to brightness. The kit is plug and play, no wiring or cutting. I added ground wires to the ballast plates because there was a spade terminal for it, not sure if it was necessary.

I’d like to find a solution for my high beams to match lows. Something LED would be awesome, but I’ve yet to find it. I would take recommendations for incandescent as well.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I’ve had the deautokey 5K hid set in my low beams for two years now. I am very pleased with them and I do thousands of miles of rural dark highway each year. Warmup is 10-15 seconds, by the time I get moving they are up to brightness. The kit is plug and play, no wiring or cutting. I added ground wires to the ballast plates because there was a spade terminal for it, not sure if it was necessary.

I’d like to find a solution for my high beams to match lows. Something LED would be awesome, but I’ve yet to find it. I would take recommendations for incandescent as well.

Ah I have no luck with high beams for LEDs as well :( only my JSW, oh the joy..... made my eyes put at ease when the high beams activates.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Did you get the 6000K color? How blue are they?

I'd be looking for something 5000K or so, but I know one company 6000K is another 5000K.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Did you get the 6000K color? How blue are they?

I'd be looking for something 5000K or so, but I know one company 6000K is another 5000K.
I went 5K on my HID setup from Deautokey, the lights have a tint of green when compared to the OEM HID’s on my Touareg but look white compared to anything else. In hindsight I would’ve gone 6K, but the 5K are fine. The HID setup is probably the best $140 I’ve spent on this car. The best $1200 I’ve spent on this car was the second battery and ARB refrigerator.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you happen to have any cut off pics of your HIDs?

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Can anyone offer clues on adjusting headlights? Before I get Lasfits, I want to know how to lower the low beams, if deemed necessary. Are the high beams affected?

Well, that's all rather moot, now. On the day the Lasfits arrived, a large deer wiped out the right front including, naturally, the headlight. Waiting to here from the appraiser. Who knows how long it'll take to be repaired.

Last edited:

cjsv7650

TDI
1999.5 Jetta tdi
I just bought them and installed them last Friday on my 2015 passat. A few hundred miles and driving through different conditions with no errors so far. I've been trying every situation I can think of to trigger an error because in another thread someone said their 2015 had them.

I'd order them from the website instead of amazon. When I worked at amazon there was nothing indicating how old a product was so I think people with errors might be getting old stock. The robot that brings the item to someone brings whatever is the most efficient item. So if the item is far away from the pick station it is possible it will take a long time to get picked.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I just bought them and installed them last Friday on my 2015 passat. A few hundred miles and driving through different conditions with no errors so far. I've been trying every situation I can think of to trigger an error because in another thread someone said their 2015 had them.

I'd order them from the website instead of amazon. When I worked at amazon there was nothing indicating how old a product was so I think people with errors might be getting old stock. The robot that brings the item to someone brings whatever is the most efficient item. So if the item is far away from the pick station it is possible it will take a long time to get picked.
Very good feedback. Thank you!

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I tried the osram night breakers and wasn't impressed.
The Lasfit LEDs have been great over the last year or so though.
I have a dark, early morning drive, so headlight visibility is very important to me.
I would greatly recommend the Lasfits, especially since you don't have to try and adapt anything to fit the headlights.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Totally forgot about this. I finally got the DeAuto LEDs and am very pleasant with it. Much easier on our eyes at night times.

Passat headlights design leave much to be desired

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
So it looks like, in general terms, both the Lasfit LEDs and the DeAuto LEDs are working well for low beams in 2012-15 North American Passats.