Mute issue on 2012 jsw radio.

shapeco

TDI
2012 jsw
When i turn the volume all the way down to "mute" it takes 3 or 4 spins of the volume wheel to get the volume back on........ Am i crazy or is this normal?

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
3 or 4 complete turns of the dial? That sounds strange.

Do you have the ability to adjust your maximum volume? If it's set very high try lowering it. This will make the dial more sensitive.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
My guess is that its a software issue:
Most digital volume controls control volume in 2 ways: either by setting a specific volume setting for each "click" of the volume knob, or more common, each "click" reduces or increases volume by a certain factor, relative to the volume value when the knob is turned.

So, if you're cruising along with the volume turned up to 11, and you turn it down 10 clicks down to 0, each click took about 10% off the volume amount, BUT, when you start from 0 (or 0.000001), 10% of that for an increase really isn't much, so you need to give a whole bunch more clicks to get back up to the audible range.

One way you can increase this is to give a turn of the knob (multiple clicks), wait a moment, then do another turn, wait, then another. Each set of clicks adds its factored amount from the starting value, each pause will give the software a new starting value.

Or you can just use the Mute Button...

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
you need to raise your max volume, it is set at the lowest level. my car did the same thing until I raised the max volume in the settings. I still am unclear if this is a software bug or not, maybe I just do not understand the premium 8 radio and how it is supposed to work.