2006 jetta tdi _ Control Arm Bolt Dilemma

tbrennan14

TDI
jetta
Have 2006 tdi- when trying to replace control arm one bolt cannot come out past the oil pan, read another post in the A4 section on this problem. They claim you have to remove the dogbone mount and lift the engine to get this bolt out. You would think VW could improve this design flaw. Does anyone have any suggestions or better yet a pictorial on how to do this, with the plastic piece on the engine bottom the dogbone mount is not even visible on the 2006 tdi. Any help is greatly appreciated

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In the time it took you to post this you could have zipped the dog bone mount loose and swung the engine/trans forward enough to get the bolt out. Not sure how that is a 'design flaw'.

oilhammer

TDI
Right smack on the bottom of the transmission, can't miss it. You do have to take the lower splash shield down to see anything of course.

tbrennan14

TDI
jetta
Gotcha-removed splash shield and saw the dogbone mount straight away. When you jack up the car where should you place the wood piece? In other words the dogbone mount has three bolts, two 16mm on the front and one 21mm on the back; should i remove all three or just the front two and the jack up the engine? I'm working in my own garage and just have a 3 ton small jack.

oilhammer

TDI
The dogbone mount is a roll-stopper, not really a 'mount', so you can just remove it without supporting anything, then the bottom of the engine/trans will simply "swing" forward, or you can also use the spare tire jack against the back of the engine pushing off of the subframe, if you need a little more muscle.