ALH-mTDI into a Mk1 Caddy

GTICorrieri

TDI
Mk1 Caddy Ute ALH
Howdy folks, I'm about to start a TDI conversion on my Mk1 pickup.
I've done a good few petrol conversions in my time, however I've never really got into any diesel conversions.
I've got a complete TDI/ALH Caddy as a donor which already has a set of .240 injector nozzles fitted and I also have a 17/56 turbo to fit as well.

My question is, should I fit the full ALH ecu, fly by wire throttle, etc, or can this engine be converted to a mechanical pump and wastegate turbo?

What's the pros and cons between to two options and could the, already fitted injectors, be used with a larger mechanical pump? Also which pump? 300TDi?

This is a conversion I'm doing for myself as a daily and would like circa 175-200bhp if possible.
I previously ran a 20V in this wee Ute and very much enjoyed the power hike!!!

Thanks for any input in advance, Gordon. X

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Just to clarify for future readers, as we are in the US and only see the older trucks, the caddy donor you speak of is one of these right? And you are putting it into an older mk1 truck.

GTICorrieri

TDI
Mk1 Caddy Ute ALH
Sorry dude, that's waaaaaaayyyy too new for me!!

This is the 1989 Mk1 Caddy...........

And this is the 2003 Caddy ALH donor vehicle.......

I have no problems with physically bolting the ALH in the Mk1, I just want as simple as possible setup so guessed the mTDI route would be best/easiest.

Thanks, Gordon. X

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
If its not a 2052v it would be a great turbo on an mtdi. There is thread from user GTITDI about using a 2052 on an ahu he sells adapter plates for $90 bucks.

GTICorrieri

TDI
Mk1 Caddy Ute ALH
I'm guessing the GT2052V is a VNT turbo?
There seems to be plenty GT2052 turbos and 300Tdi pumps on eBay so I think I'll go for this cocktail of parts!!
Do you think the .240 nozzles will work ok too?

GTICorrieri

TDI
Mk1 Caddy Ute ALH
that will be a killer setup!
This makes me happy!!!!
Planning on using an electronic boost controller with N75 valve, I'm happier doing it all this way than OE ECM controlled, I'll just keep an eye on my gauges!!!

I ran an Innovate MTX wideband on my 20V petrol setup, can this be utilised on a diesel setup too? Obviously the values will differ.

Gordon.

GTICorrieri

TDI
Mk1 Caddy Ute ALH
ALH head & block
300Tdi mechanical pump
AHU exhaust manifold and adapter
GT20/52 wastegate turbo from a TD5 Discovery
.240 nozzles
FMIC with 2.25" pipework
2.5" or 3" exhaust system
EGT, wideband and boost gauges