BEW turbo hose. Whistling sound?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
When I was doing my vnt17 swap I had read that the gates hose made a strange noise when under boost. I'm starting to think the noise I'm hearing since my requested and actual boost is pretty close. Maybe my oem hose is making this noise? It sounds like a hose is opening up a boost leak above a certain psi. Everything checks out to be solid though. Ideas on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
check all your gasket connections... the little MLS EGR gaskets can act as reed when installed improperly and under exhaust pressure... also check your upper boost hose to ASV connection for worn retaining clip nubbies ;)

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Gonna end up getting some t-clamps. Thanks for the exhaust suggestion too. Will have to check the gasket on my egr block off plate.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Egr block off on the manifold looks good and tight. No nasty stuff showing a leak. Did find the vacuum pump nipple leaking some but I don't see that making the noise I'm having. Got it sealed up for the time being though. Any other ideas for me? The fact it tested within 0.1bar for requested and actual boost makes me think I can't have a boost leak of much. Can it? Haven't experienced a boost leak with vcds before.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Turns out the vacuum pump was making all the noise. Wouldn't think it could make more noise than the engine but it did. So for anyone who comes across this in the future. Don't underestimate how much noise the crappy vacuum pump nipple can make.