Towing With ALH Wagon?

JHands

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently
Girlfriend and I are making the trek from Tampa, FL to Portland, OR in about 6 weeks. We are selling all of our big furniture, but still need more space for our various boxes of clothes, pots and pans, and other knick knacks.

We have been debating buying a 4x6 or 5x8 trailer and towing it cross country. Would this be feasible? It has a hitch on it rated for 2000 lbs, but I don't anticipate getting anywhere near that. Car is currently running dlc 1019 nozzles with a Malone stage 2. It's a 5 speed.

Thoughts?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
You really wont have an issue, just take it easy and be nice to the clutch (aka dont let the gf drive).

Most common thing for me is I tow a snowmobile, full of fluids, all packed in ice and snow, with gear.

JHands

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently
I found a 4x6 lightweight enclosed trailer. Weighs 350lbs empty. Gonna take a look at it this weekend

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This Vanagon with an ALH, Stage 1 Malone Tune, pulled this rig to Alaska in the summer of 2014 and 2016. The camper, with deep cycle battery, propane tank, stuff, etc., weighed over 1200 lbs (more like 1400 lbs.). We had at least 300 lbs of luggage and camping gear in the Van. This year, we also had two additional adults along!

No issues relating to engine, transmission or clutch! ..... almost 25k miles total for the two trips!

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I do a lot of towing with my wagon.
After many years and many trailers I now use a 5x8 open trailer with a 3500# "drop" axle....the perfect trailer, imo.

...enclosed trailers will have significant wind resistance.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I have a 5x8 trailer, very heavy duty. I pull that around with my alh wagon with all kinds of weight in it. I would not hesitate to pull it across country as long as trailer and car were in good condition.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I venture you'll find it a lot cheaper to assemble your items on a pallet or pallets and have them freight shipped to your destination. Trailer purchase, registration, insurance, increased tolls, fuel consumption...all will cost and shipping is most likely cheaper. Besides, you'll be able to drive faster and more relaxed without a trailer.

I tow with my wagon, but I wouldn't do what you're asking about.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I venture you'll find it a lot cheaper to assemble your items on a pallet or pallets and have them freight shipped to your destination. Trailer purchase, registration, insurance, increased tolls, fuel consumption...all will cost and shipping is most likely cheaper. Besides, you'll be able to drive faster and more relaxed without a trailer.

I tow with my wagon, but I wouldn't do what you're asking about.
I like it, thinking outside the bug!
Freight shipping is not as expensive as you might imagine.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
X2 what IBW said. Or you can get a quote from one of the DIY moving companies like Pods, some friends just used them for a move. They drop a container off at your house, you pack it and let them know when it is ready. They pick it up and deliver it to your new location.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And if you're shipping less FedEx has a new Freight Box that you can fill and they'll pick up.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This thread reminded me of my own cross-country move back in 2008. Diesel was almost $5/gallon, and I could not afford a U-Haul or Ryder truck plus the cost of fuel.

So I bought a used 4x8 utility trailer, got a hitch installed by a local guy (I didn't have the right tools), and bought tarps and rope. I sold a lot of my heaviest stuff, like really big Klipsch speakers; I went through all my books and sold or gave away about 1/3 that I no longer needed or wanted; gave some extra wheels and seats to a fellow TDI Club member; and got total weight down to about 1500 pounds plus the trailer.

The first time I loaded the trailer, the leaf springs were completely flattened and the tires rubbed against the wheel fenders. So I unloaded it and went through my stuff to lose another 200-300 pounds. When I reloaded the trailer, it seemed okay, but after starting my trip I realized the balance was all wrong and the trailer was causing the rear of my Golf to sway back and forth. So I shifted weight around and improved the handling somewhat, but it was still not good if I drove over about 55-56 mph. I downshifted into 4th gear for hills, both uphill and downhill.

I made a few more weight-and-balance adjustments, but continued my trip and mostly just kept the speed down. I was passed by hundreds of cars, maybe thousands, over the next three days. Yes, a trip that normally took 36-42 hours ended up taking about 72 hours, because I had to stop more times for sleep. I never want to travel that slowly, that far, ever again. But on the plus side, I actually got really great fuel economy, about 45-46 mph.

Lessons learned:
1) With a utility trailer, you can haul more stuff than with an enclosed trailer which weighs a lot more when empty.
2) But with a utility trailer, even with tarps, you run a risk of running into rain storms. Fortunately the weather for my move was hot and dry.
3) If I'd loaded the trailer more carefully, if I'd had more time to load it properly, maybe I could have driven faster.