Locking Billet Cap for TDI

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think it's appeal has more to do with paranoia that some malcontent is going to take a wiz in their tank. Thus the locking DEF cap as well- can't imagine anyone wanting to steal that stuff.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I think it's appeal has more to do with paranoia that some malcontent is going to take a wiz in their tank. Thus the locking DEF cap as well- can't imagine anyone wanting to steal that stuff.
LOL i think alot of guys have exs that would encourage them to buy these locking caps.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
just curious are for the BEM cap users...are you guys in a neighborhood where you fuel is stolen from you often?
My friends,brother in law,parent...etc sometimes borrow my car when they stay with us. They try to be nice and refuel the tank sometimes. 10 years ago one of them put gas in the tank and i had to tow it to the dealer at midnight. Having a lock and hiding the key in the car has prevented misfuelings ($500 dealer charge each time). They get to the gas station and then give me a call when they see the lock. I tell them i have the key. If the tank is empty, i reveal the location of the key and tell them over and over to only put in diesel.

This cap has saved my car a few times already. Everyone knows i have a diesel and there are stickers there but youd be surprised how often some people go on autopilot and reach for the gas pump

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
My friends,brother in law,parent...etc sometimes borrow my car when they stay with us. They try to be nice and refuel the tank sometimes. 10 years ago one of them put gas in the tank and i had to tow it to the dealer at midnight. Having a lock and hiding the key in the car has prevented misfuelings ($500 dealer charge each time). They get to the gas station and then give me a call when they see the lock. I tell them i have the key. If the tank is empty, i reveal the location of the key and tell them over and over to only put in diesel.

This cap has saved my car a few times already. Everyone knows i have a diesel and there are stickers there but youd be surprised how often some people go on autopilot and reach for the gas pump
A case of double NGDGU (no good deed goes unpunished), one for you and one for them!

Last edited:

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Misfuelings are a big concern for me. Not many people own diesel cars in the USA and the damage done by running a diesel fuel system on gasoline or gasoline-diesel mix is too costly not simply to lock everyone out.

I was faced with this issue when a kid at the Ram dealership filled up my diesel truck tank with gasoline. I ended up getting a brand new truck out of the deal, but still, it was a long harrowing experience.

There is also someone (or someones) that have been following me around doing damage to my vehicles. Somebody bashed a dent in my front passenger door on the GSW and two dents in the driver door of my pickup. Also, after parking my camping rig on my own private property over night, someone pulled the link pin out of my towing receiver, I can only guess in the attempt to add instability to the rig. I found it when I was backing into a different location and the trailer was acting really strangely.

I am paranoid, and prefer to keep the fuel tanks locked up...simply because the cost of replacement is so high. I would have liked to have had my DEF tank locked up from the beginning, but I just figured that the car could operate without that if someone had damaged the SCR system with contaminants in the meantime. Fortunately, it didn't happen.

I talked to the folks over at the BEM Auto factory (they're local to me) and I've heard some stories now about people who've actually had their DEF systems contaminated (not on the TDIs) either by well-meaning negligence or by malice. I heard that one gal from a towing company called up and ordered locking caps for all of her Ram tow trucks after the costly replacement of one trucks SCR system. Apparently vandals had put some soluble material, likely sugar, into the DEF tank, probably thinking it was the fuel tank as the DEF fill neck on the 2-ton+ Ram trucks sits at about where the fuel filler neck is on a regular truck. Another story related was that a field mechanic's DEF systems on his Ram trucks had been ruined by techs unfamiliar with diesel trucks filling the DEF tanks with diesel.

From what they told me, the only reports of fuel actually being stolen come from "hot-shotters"...or guys who do commercial towing/hauling with 1-ton diesel trucks. All the other reports come from people who've either had their vehicles misfueled or tampered with, or who want to prevent that from occurring.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Oh man, these products are definitely for you. Sounds like you should hire a security guard or two also, haha. The caps definitely look good though, it would be a vanity purchase for me though, fortunately.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Never had an issue ever with anyone putting anything in any of my tanks. I keep a beater car for friends/relatives/neighbors and kids who wander back home sometimes. I don't want anyone but me driving my car.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
So, I've been running with the locking DEF cap prototype. No codes thrown up or anything. I'm pretty pleased with everything so far. Anybody else here testing one, too?