Need advice - Buyback scheduled; low oil pressure warning

Squib

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
Forgive the long post - this has been a bit of a saga!

My 2010 6MT sportwagen is intent on destroying itself right before my buyback appointment next weekend. It was generally reliable for the 1st 165k, but has been hell for the last 5k.

The starter wiring caught fire last spring (I put it out with an extinguisher from the house and VW covered the repairs). Went back to the dealer a week later on a flat bed with a CEL and stall. Two glow plugs were corroded from water that made it into the combustion chamber. A week later, the CEL was back on and I just parked the car in my driveway waiting for the buyback.

I had to re-register the car in the fall and had to run it through emissions testing. The damn thing wouldn't shift into reverse. At all. Back on the flat bed to the dealer, hoping it was a simple linkage issue. $1700 later, I have a drivable car I can register. It fails emissions because the ECU was reset during the service. That's okay, as I could still register the car and legally drive it home and to the dealer for the buyback in February.

On Friday I was rear-ended by a Ford Excursion while driving my wife's Mazda3. I thought I would enjoy one last week driving my VW. I started it thus morning and let it idle while I added air to one of the tires. It was running fine. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway, the Low Oil Pressure - Engine Stop light and chime start. I shut it off immediately and pushed it 75 ft back into my driveway where it sits.

If I have it towed to the dealer, do you think they will accept it? I understand that if it is oil starved, it may seize at any time. I really don't want to sink any more into this car.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

Squib

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Did you try checking the oil level?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If your engine code is CBEA you might have a stripped oil pump drive. Probably wise to park it and have it towed to dealer for the buyback.

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)
Buy a bottle of Lucas or STP oil treatment or something similar for $5. Add it to the crankcase. Have the car towed to the dealer (hopefully you have AAA or towing with your insurance.) Start the car at the dealer and let them drive it to wherever it goes for the buyback. Car should not seize for a few minutes/miles when the engine is cold. Take the money from the buyback. Watch the Super Bowl. (We turn ours in on Feb 4 to the dealer.)

No one will be able to predict if your car will or will not seize. Maximize the chances it will be "drivable" when you turn it in. Fingers crossed for you.

Think about keeping the radio/bluetooth/MDI. Give them to a friend or sell them to make back some of your recent expenses/towing. My dealer told me I could keep mine to put in my .:R32. I am removing the MDI and bluetooth module tomorrow.

Last edited:

Squib

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
Turbobrick- I was just reading several forum posts on the hex drive.

TDI Hoo - thanks for the STP suggestion. Anything that buys a little more time if it's oil starved sounds like good insurance!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^That's right. I got confused because they used the cbea in the Audi a3 through til '11. I'd say the odds that a cbea got swapped in are miniscule. Might have just been a fluke that caused the light to come on. Wouldn't hurt to change out the oil filter and see if the light comes back.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
You shouldn't have to pay for towing. I've read of other people using the VW Roadside Assistance program to tow their buybacks to the dealer.

I'd park the car and have it towed in. Why spend a minute working on it.

Also, I wimped out and didn't take the radio. The dealer said that we should have!

Squib

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
I restarted the car for 10 sec. It started and idled normally, but the low oil pressure warning lit when the revs got over ~2k. I think I will use whatever oil additive looks good and keep my fingers crossed that it runs long enough to complete the buyback.

I'm sure that showing up with the car on a flat bed will get me extra attention. Based on what other people have experienced, what do you think I should expect?

seyser

TDI
2010 JSW
I had this happen on my 2005.5 after it had sat a week. It was fine at idle but when revved it would ding and give me the warning. Turned out a squirrel had chewed the wire on my oil pressure sensor. It was right on the front of the engine near exhaust manifold.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
ohhhh better check the wiring. dang them squirrels.

Squib

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
Thanks for the tip! There has been some rodent activity in the engine bay. I found chewed up insulation from the hood heat shield pulled out when I popped the hood.

TDI Hoo

TDI
Hope you get turn in your TDI this weekend. I just returned from turning in mine. Took all of 15 minutes. But the regional manager at VW rejected the car without a head unit in the dash. Didn't require a working head unit. So, I went home, got the RNS-510 out of the garage and gave it back.
This is different from what my dealer told me in December when we bought a new Golf Wolfsburg.
Sad to see the TDI go. Guess the .:R32 will have to wait for a RNS-510. I could have removed the MFD2 and turned that in to VW, but I don't have all the cables necessary for the conversion from MFD2 to RNS-510 at this juncture.
Let us know how your buyback went.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Hope you get turn in your TDI this weekend. I just returned from turning in mine. Took all of 15 minutes. But the regional manager at VW rejected the car without a head unit in the dash. Didn't require a working head unit. So, I went home, got the RNS-510 out of the garage and gave it back.
This is different from what my dealer told me in December when we bought a new Golf Wolfsburg.
Sad to see the TDI go. Guess the .:R32 will have to wait for a RNS-510. I could have removed the MFD2 and turned that in to VW, but I don't have all the cables necessary for the conversion from MFD2 to RNS-510 at this juncture.
Let us know how your buyback went.
You actually thought it was OK to turn in your car without the radio?

Donald

TDI Hoo

TDI
You actually thought it was OK to turn in your car without the radio?

Donald
Yep. I have purchased 3 VWs since 2007 and my dealer's sales manager, a personal friend, told me it was fine. VW was more lenient 6 weeks ago. Regional manager, whom I spoke to by phone, said up until 2 weeks ago, they were letting folks turn in cars without the radios.

Squib

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
Success

I'm still at the dealer waiting for my ride. The car ran long enough to get across the parking lot and have the photos of the odometer taken while idling. I crawled it and the warning light never illuminated. It shouldn't have mattered if it did, but I was happy not to have another potential issue. I called them this morning and explained the situation. Only the manager was a little agitated when I arrived. The buyback rep just processed everything without a hitch. It's a relief, to say the least.

I appreciate the advice from everybody!

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep. I have purchased 3 VWs since 2007 and my dealer's sales manager, a personal friend, told me it was fine. VW was more lenient 6 weeks ago. Regional manager, whom I spoke to by phone, said up until 2 weeks ago, they were letting folks turn in cars without the radios.
Doesn't make it right.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI