My first set of upgrades for my GTD conversion

rbjones21

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Changed out the pedals and the door switches. I think it turned out good.
I learned a few things doing these.
1. The pedal replacement is easy for the most part except there is a screw holding the dead pedal that is a bit trick to get to. Also there is a tool to remove the gas pedal, but can be done with screwdriver
2. You can swap out the switches without removing the door panel. It is bit tricky to remove the plastic holding them.
If anyone has any questions let me know.

rbjones21

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Thanks

TXRanger83 said:
Looks good, I want those pedals...how long did it take you to do?
It was really not that bad doing the pedals themselves. There is a VW tool to remove the gas pedal similar to how radio keys would work. I just used a small flat screwdriver. You just have to look at the new gas pedal to see which way to push the tabs to release it.

It was a bit tricky getting to the screw that holds the dead pedal since it is covered by the panel next to it. There is a screw / clip behind the lever for the hood that if you remove it make it a lot easier to get to the screw.

I continue to be very impressed in how the car is engineered.

rbjones21

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
vwmk4 said:
Looks very good, any other upgrades in the future?
I am planning to make the interior as close to a GTD as possible, which is similar to a GTI except is uses silver stitching instead of red.

I have a set of LED rear tail lights on the way.:D

I am planning to do the GTD shift knob and the dash cubby soon. Long term I would like to do the GTD steering wheel, but probably won't do that until I am out of the factory warranty. I am still trying to figure out what color the dash trim is silver or black, but i am not sure if that can be replaced.

I have to see if it is worth it do some of the other stuff like the ebrake. I would like to get GTD monster mats if they even exist.

Long term I would also like to to some of the bigger exterior stuff like the bumpers, and engine changes

I just wish they sold the GTD here it would really make things easier. I wanted the GTI sport but the TDI Mpg.

rbjones21

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
TXRanger83 said:
did you add brushed aluminum trim dash pieces too?
What you see in the pictures of my dash came with my TDI. I have been trying to figure out what they have in the GTD.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
My dad's got a 2010 Golf TDI too, and his trim is all painted to match the car's body. My JSW has some weird carbon fiber like black triangle pattern. I haven't seen a brushed aluminum trim.

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
ToeBall said:
My dad's got a 2010 Golf TDI too, and his trim is all painted to match the car's body. My JSW has some weird carbon fiber like black triangle pattern. I haven't seen a brushed aluminum trim.
yeah thats what my sedan has, I am wanting brushed aluminum

rbjones21

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
tiguando said:
How did you replace the switches without removing the door panels?
There are 4 clips that hold the piece in the door. I marked them in red. The back edge marked in yellow slides under into the door like I have seen with other cars.

If you start at the top and press the sides in with something it will pop out. Just be careful since the edge is very fragile. If you try to pry it out you can botch the plastic that holds the switches around the edges. You are just trying to put pressure inward.

Hope this helps. The first side I did take the door off because I had read that it was held in with screws.