Need recommendations for brake pads & rotors

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Hey fellas,

I just did my 80,000 mile service on my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

The back pads have @ 3/16”+ of wear left. The front pads are @ 1/4”+ of wear left.

I want to do the back brakes at the end of the summer. What are the best brands of rotors and pads to use on this vehicle? And do any of these components last as long as the original equipment?

Any links would be great.

Thanks!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
For the rear brakes you need a tool like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...and-caliper-service-tool-kit-11-pc-63264.html as you have to push in the brake cylinder as you turn it clockwise.

You need to replace the rotors too as they will no make it through two cycles. https://www.idparts.com/rear-brake-set-272mm-mk6mk7nms-p-2932.html I have these on my 2002 Golf TDI

Front brakes https://www.idparts.com/front-brake-set-sportwagen-cup-312mm-p-2099.html. My Wife's 2011 Sport Wagon has larger front rotors.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for the information.

There are a lot of choices for both the rotors and the brake pads.

Are the higher priced items in each category worth it? Which ones do you think are best and will last a long time?

I’ve got 82,000 miles on my original rotors and pads.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
If you are stock the OE pads are fine. Having said that I have tried just about every pad rotor combination and I have not found a big difference. Now larger brake rotors and calipers do.

So in my opinion you can spend as little or as much as you want at Idparts.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Only thing i can recommend is trying the ceramic pads IDparts carries, less dust is always a good thing.

I think the only thing the added cost will get you is better fit and finish to the rotors, when I bought brakes from them 2-3 years ago their cheapest version "Freemax" while have painted hats, you could see the casting was pretty rough (rotor surface was nice and smooth with great cross hatching), other bigger name brands will prob be more OEM replacement with overall fit and finish.

I had no regrets buying the cheapos, sadly I only got to use the rear pads I bought as I only had my 2010 for about 4 months after I tossed the pads on to pass stat inspection.

I sold the front pads/rotors and rear rotors for a song and dance a while ago, hopefully someone is enjoying them!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Recently did the brake service on our GSW, used Brembo replacements for pads and EDIT: rotors all around. Looked to be equal or greater quality compared to OEM. Best of all, they were cheaper through a local indy vendor than idparts or FCP (Canadian shipping/duty/tax rules applies here). All while still being half what a shop wanted to charge to do the job using Fremax rotors and TRW pads.

Brakes feel much better now after service. Still need to do the fluid, but I'm happy with the cost outlay.

Last edited:

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
I spent $4 and change for a set of rear pads on Rock Auto. It was a closeout. After 20k miles they are wearing no different than the expensive ones. And they seem to work just fine too!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Wait you can't use economy parts on your German engineered mexican made economy car, that's sacrilege!!

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I spent $4 and change for a set of rear pads on Rock Auto. It was a closeout. After 20k miles they are wearing no different than the expensive ones. And they seem to work just fine too!

I just put a set of $10US plus $10 shipping closeout rockauto pads on the rear of my wife's q7 TDI (going to the crusher in 6 weeks) Can't comment on the longevity, but the fitment was fine, and no noise on my short 15 minute test ride...

$27Cdn after taxes, and shipping... Nothing comes close locally.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I just put a set of $10US plus $10 shipping closeout rockauto pads on the rear of my wife's q7 TDI (going to the crusher in 6 weeks) Can't comment on the longevity, but the fitment was fine, and no noise on my short 15 minute test ride...
$27Cdn after taxes, and shipping... Nothing comes close locally.
Nice price, can't complain... but why would you replace at all if it's "going to the crusher in 6 weeks?" Was there a MIL of some kind?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
We have 3000km allowance on it to use up, and when I looked at the pads, I thought it was really close to the metal backing pad.

Turns out I had about 1/8" left.

We'll probably use it for close to 3000km over the next 6 weeks due to kids tournaments and away games.

Cheap driving. We already have a 15 fixed q7 tdi to replace it in the driveway.

Peter

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk