06' New Beetle w/DSG vs. 06' Golf Auto

larez

TDI
none yet :(
Hi,
I already did a search and found a couple of threads that compare the NB to the Golf however I am seeking additional advice. I want to purchase a 06' NB tdi w/ package 2 and DSG or a 06' Golf gls tdi automatic. I am not currently considering the Jetta.

I am looking for additional input given the following circumstances:
1. I like the Golf more, but the NB is a close 2nd.
2. I like the options available on the NB (package 2 and DSG)
3. I'd purchase the Golf hands down if I could get it equipped with the NB package 2 and DSG, but you can't and that's wherein lies my dilema. I really like the NB package 2 features - leather, sunroof, nicer wheels, sound system, homelink, etc) and the DSG is especially intriguing, but you can't get any of them on the Golf. If i had to choose between a no option NB vs a no option Golf, i'd take the Golf.

So do I buy the car or do I buy the options?

I've driven gas versions of both, and while the Golf fits my lifestyle a little bit better, the NB fits it almost as well (in terms of passengers/cargo/etc).

Also, I live in California, but have an out of state address that I can register it at. (i did a search and it sounds like I basically just have to first register it out of state and then drive it 7500 miles before i register it in Cali). Is it really that simple? Any hidden fees?

Kind Regards,
Larez

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
larez said:
Hi, I want to purchase a 06' NB tdi w/ package 2 and DSG or a 06' Golf gls tdi automatic. I am not currently considering the Jetta.
Kind Regards,
Larez
Are you speaking about the older body style for the Golf? Obvious you must because the Golf MKV TDi was never brought over to the U.S.

To answer your questions

Pros:
  • Last official year of the New Beetle
  • Popular and spacious front seating and front head room
  • Final year with excellent refinements in interior vs. previous years
  • DSG is really made for this vehicle
  • Better Leatherette on Package I then previous models
  • Unusual factor and appeal
Cons
  • Beetle is really a two passenger vehicle
  • Hard to resell as a 4-passenger vehicle
  • Low and limited rear seat space and height
  • Reduced rear trunk and storage space due to slope body
  • A brick on aero-dynamics and lowest mpg return of all 3 models

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
The Beetle may have the worst aerodynamics of the bunch, but wouldn't the Beetle DSG get better mileage than the Golf Automatic?

-I've never driven a DSG, but the reviews are very positive. I hate the Auto in my Wagon.
-I dislike the interior/ergonomics of my 02 Jetta Wagon (same as the 06 Golf). I much prefer the Beetle interior.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Sure.........in Europe. Guess VOA thinks diesel-heads don't drive rag tops. Now a transplant could be done.....

Paul
aka Jump62

no-blue-screen said:
Can you get the NB convertible with the TDI engine?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
02AutoWag said:
The Beetle may have the worst aerodynamics of the bunch, but wouldn't the Beetle DSG get better mileage than the Golf Automatic?
I don't know if the 2006 Golf comes with a DSG or the older version automatic.

I will say that comparing the two cars the beetle is a great looking car with the redesigned nose and tail. I have a friend who traded in his 2001 NB TDI manual for the DSG PKI NB last month with Chris at Longhorne, PA. The car is really fantastic to drive in Sport Mode. He's getting average 36mpg on break in driving aggressively in sport mode. On the highway he's better'd the 42mpg mark.

Another friend was so impressed driving it he ordered a PKI NB DSG from Chris yesterday. He's trading in his 2003 NB 1.8T auto PKII for the Diesel NB.

You do have a point on the automatic versions of the Golf vs the NB if the Golf is not equipped with the DSG. The Golf will not get the mileage the NB can obtain with the 6-speed DSG in this case.

Brian

larez

TDI
Thanks for the information so far.

The 06' Golf tdi has a 5spd Automatic w/tip. I don't know how long they've been doing the 5spd auto in the Golf tdi, but I think it used to only be 4spd - that extra gear will surely help.

I notice in local ads, there seems to be a lot more NB for sales and that Golfs of the same year + mileage seem to be fetching a higher price tag... to the point the BrianCT said about resale.

So far the posts are leaning me towards the NB... it sounds like it is the way to go over the Golf in most opinions.

I smelled the vapors of a diesel pickup this morning as I was walking. For some reason the diesel didn't smell nasty to me anymore. It was an inviting aroma of the heavenly nectar that I will soon be feeding my car, whichever one i get!

Larez

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Adding to my previous post...

-My 02Wag has the 4-speed auto, not the 5-speed Tip. It's not necessarily the number of gears that is a turnoff...it's the engagement/hunting/lack of control that I do not like.

-What do you intend to haul? The flat cargo entry of the Golf/Wag is really nice. In my case I have options for the things that don't fit nicely in the Beetle. What doesn't fit in the Beetle gets hauled in the Wag (came in handy today infact). What doesn't fit in the Wag gets put into my beater truck.

larez

TDI
I'll mostly be hauling my surf board and bike. I intend to get a rack system. But my bike will fit inside either a Golf or NB with the front tire removed, and my surfboard will fit in the front seat with the front seat leaned back anyways. I usually drive solo or maybe have 1 passenger.

I spoke to a lady at AAA. She said that if I first register it out of state and then re-register it in California within 1 year, I'll have to pay the difference in tax between Cali and where I buy it. If i re-register it after 1 year, then I don't have to pay any difference in tax. This is in addition to 7500 mile condition for these.

I wonder what would happen if i just drove it around with out of state tags for a year in California before i re-register it. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I see cars all the time with out of state plates. My one buddy who moved from Texas drove around for about for like 2 years before he got around to registering in Cali. (some guys where I work have been driving around with out of state plates for years).

Larez2

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Well the New MKV Golf is going to be called the Rabbit again here so you could just wait for that and it might have DSG, not confirmed though.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
VW would be nuts if they didn't stick the DSG trans in it.