VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

joneloo

TDI
12 Touareg
Update - Chase payment came through Friday night and then the VW documents/ receipts rolled in Saturday morning. Deposit hit my account this morning. Much faster turn around than I expected.
Well that's the end of my 13 year affair with diesel...
Wisco, did you turn in your Touareg on July, 10th?

I turned mine in on the 10th and I didn't get the receipt yet. I chose the check option over the deposit though.
They said it will be 3-5 days until I will receive the receipt so I am waiting until tomorrow.
Thanks

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Friend turned in his salvage titled 2.0 today that was registered last year, will get details in the mail on buyback amount, no restitution he was told

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Has anyone with a claim in appeal to the CRC heard anything lately? Does the Dec 1 'signed documents' deadline apply to claims before the CRC?

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
Update...I turned the Jetta Sportwagon in on 7/12 AM. Payment arrived at my bank this morning.

Similar to WISCO, this occurred faster than I expected. When I turned the car in, it was put on some kind of hold for 48 hours because of the rebuilt title, and they told me payment would arrive 3-5 business days after the hold was lifted. Basically, I received payment in about 3 business days after turning the car in.

As described in my offer letter, there was no restitution in this payment. Maybe I will get some later, maybe not. I did not sign any kind of restitution waiver at the turn-in appointment.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Has anyone with a claim in appeal to the CRC heard anything lately? Does the Dec 1 'signed documents' deadline apply to claims before the CRC?
What is the Dec. 1 'signed documents' deadline that you are referring to? End of the 2.0 claim period?

dcarlton

TDI
jetta
Turned my 2010 Jetta TDI 2.0 in yesterday PM. No contractor involved as apparently they are using dealership employees to handle paperwork and procedures. Everything was done via live video conference call with contractor company including using iPad to record my moving vehicle back and forth in parking space outside of dealership. Was told by contractor that I would receive a 'letter' re exact buyback amount I was to receive. Also was to receive acknowledgement of vehicle I dropped off w/i 24 hours. I pushed her on meaning of 'letter'. Was it to be an email or letter via USPS......she had no idea and apparently she was reading from a script. I pressed her on an answer and she put me on hold for 2 minutes and then returned and said I would receive notification via email. No receipt given for vehicle I left at dealership.

Left dealership and became concerned that I had no proof that I had actually dropped the vehicle off and that the VW dealership had accepted it.

No email from VW w/i the 24 hour time period I was told I would receive a receipt of returning the vehicle. So.......I returned to the dealership today after the 24 hour time period and requested the mgr who handled my return paperwork sign a photocopy of my title acknowledging the date/time I returned the vehicle. Dealership mgr refused to allow his employee to sign a receipt accepting the vehicle. Mgr then telephoned the contracting company handling the returns and was told that when returning unbranded titles a receipt is issued almost immediately.....but when returning a branded title that it can take 3-5 days for the contracting company to issue a receipt for the return of a vehicle........so very frustrating and glad I am done with dealing with VW. Currently waiting for my return receipt of dropping the car off and waiting for the final letter providing me with an exact $$ amount I am to receive.

Don't understand why VW refuses to issue a simple return receipt at the time they accept a vehicle.?????????? Never again will I buy a VW/Audi vehicle....EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY 2010 JETTA HAD REBUILT TITLE.

Last edited:

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
What is the Dec. 1 'signed documents' deadline that you are referring to? End of the 2.0 claim period?
That by Dec 1, signed offer letters must be in VW's hands or the claim is void. Which means that in reality, offer letters have to be in our hands no later than about Nov. 15 to make time to get them notarized and back to VW. Which means that the CRC has until early November to finish all claims in their hands.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Wisco, did you turn in your Touareg on July, 10th?
I turned mine in on the 10th and I didn't get the receipt yet. I chose the check option over the deposit though.
They said it will be 3-5 days until I will receive the receipt so I am waiting until tomorrow.
Thanks
I turned mine in July 11 as a salvage title. No restitution, but might get something at the end. Also keep in mind that VW is most likely not issuing a receipt on salvage vehicles because the system template is set for settlement + restitution. The salvage vehicles are probably all one offs for supporting paperwork as seen by the email sent regarding no salvage.

Last edited:

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
What I have noticed on my claims recently

Just a word of caution check your claim numbers folks the newest thing is;, VW is asking for things like vehicle acquisition etc without direct Email notice to you or that you need something in order to complete your claim but there is no Email notice at all , so your claim can sit like that for no reason until you upload it .

eth0r

TDI
MK4
Just checked my status for rebuilt title(American car in Canada), has been stuck on green checks for the last 2 months, now have to provide proof of vehicle acquisition? NO email was sent, good thing I check status every few days. I uploaded the bill of sale document between me and the previous owner, lets see what happens. Having did a buy back in 2016 for a clean title 2009 Jetta TDI the process was quick and easy, this American process is so much slower and way over the top with documents, but maybe this is because of the rebuilt/salvage titles are bottom of the barrel claims.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Just checked my status for rebuilt title(American car in Canada), has been stuck on green checks for the last 2 months, now have to provide proof of vehicle acquisition? NO email was sent, good thing I check status every few days. I uploaded the bill of sale document between me and the previous owner, lets see what happens. Having did a buy back in 2016 for a clean title 2009 Jetta TDI the process was quick and easy, this American process is so much slower and way over the top with documents, but maybe this is because of the rebuilt/salvage titles are bottom of the barrel claims.
Proof of acquisition is a glitch which is why you didn't get an email. VW added it to all new claims, but IT messed up and added it as "missing" to all existing claims. VW told me not to upload anything and just wait. I got a few offers after this conversation without uploading it. (clean title cars, but technical glitch still applies to salvage too)

Lepro

TDI
VW Jetta 2011
I have a question to all owners with branded vehicles on a salvage yard before 6/28/2016 asked to provide proof of operabilty. I wonder if everyone gave up on finding a way to bypass that requirement somehow?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I just spoke to support regarding additional restitution. I was told the following: after Dec 31st, 2018 VW will audit every single claim that it paid out. If it finds salvage VINs that did not have any restitution paid out on them, then whoever did buyback will be contacted and additional payment will be made.

dcarlton

TDI
jetta
I just spoke to support regarding additional restitution. I was told the following: after Dec 31st, 2018 VW will audit every single claim that it paid out. If it finds salvage VINs that did not have any restitution paid out on them, then whoever did buyback will be contacted and additional payment will be made.
Thank you for the info......I hope they follow those procedures but after numerous changes to the process I am not confident they won't change the process again. Fingers crossed.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Thank you for the info......I hope they follow those procedures but after numerous changes to the process I am not confident they won't change the process again. Fingers crossed.

Clean title 3.0L cars had "split" restitution from very beginning. A lot of previous owners claimed that they sold during the scandal and they applied for 50%. Few of my cars had this reduced restitution when I did buyback. Then many months later I got 2 "top off" payments for 3.0 Q7s that had prior owner claims which were found not valid. Yes, it took them a LONG time, but I got paid. Just be patient.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
2011 Salvage Touareg, claimed through VW 2/17, denied 7/17 and sent to CRC. Received approval letter from CRC for "partial benefits" last week.

Not sure what the next step is now, has anyone else made it to this point with a CRC claim?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
2011 Salvage Touareg, claimed through VW 2/17, denied 7/17 and sent to CRC. Received approval letter from CRC for "partial benefits" last week.

Not sure what the next step is now, has anyone else made it to this point with a CRC claim?
Not me. Sent in my appeal on March 14, heard crickets. Emailed CRC twice with no response. :mad:

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Turned my rebuilt 2012 Jetta wagon on 7/16 in Bradenton, FL. No issues. During the video chat with the VW rep I asked about the restitution being paid in DEC if the prior owner doesn't claim it and he said "yes that is correct". I also did not sign any document regarding the restitution. They did make me drive it forward and backwards a few feet. Sad thing was having to return it with the CP3 fuel pump modification. Did not have plans on turning it in when I rebuilt it but life makes decisions for you sometimes. VW made me wait over a year from the day I started the turn in process. Glad its over. Hopefully I hear back from them in DEC but im not holding my breath.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Not me. Sent in my appeal on March 14, heard crickets. Emailed CRC twice with no response. :mad:
I appealed mine in may I think since it was rejected but nothing since, already lost all the hope

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

05tdiwagon

TDI
TDI's
Something rather weird happened to a friend of mine, he turned in his 2.0 TDI few weeks ago and got a call from VW few days later telling him to pick up his vehicle and that the whole buyback was an error on their (VW) part. VW claimed his vehicle wasn't eligible for buyback due it being leased when the dieselgate news broke out and this transaction is now void. Above mentioned friend didn't get his compensation.

Anyone has any ideas what's going on? Any tips?

05tdiwagon

TDI
TDI's
Something rather weird happened to a friend of mine, he turned in his 2.0 TDI few weeks ago and got a call from VW few days later telling him to pick up his vehicle and that the whole buyback was an error on their (VW) part. VW claimed his vehicle wasn't eligible for buyback due it being leased when the dieselgate news broke out and this transaction is now void. Above mentioned friend didn't get his compensation.

So this is not like appointment cancelled 5 min before but in fact he went trough a full process with buyback appointment and all paper signing, with receipt received by email.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
So this is not like appointment cancelled 5 min before but in fact he went trough a full process with buyback appointment and all paper signing, with receipt received by email.
I'd be contacting legal counsel...

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Holy crap! Now thats a new one. I noticed that VW is a lot more "sloppy" now when it comes to certain things.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0

Was it salvage or clean title car?

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
What type of receipt did they provide him? Also was this claim previously appealed by him?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

So, is what VW is saying, the truth?

Was it a leased vehicle at the time dieselgate came to light?

Was he the original lessee who bought out the lease or did he buy it used from a dealer with the original lessee having been someone else? And WHEN did this happen?

And when did the salvage title situation happen, and under whose ownership?

If you, yourself, apply the guidelines that were recently made public for these situations, taking into accounts the history of the vehicle and the dates that various events happened, is VW right, or is it something else?

Much depends on the dates that various events happened.

Get ALL the facts and ALL the dates. Then decide on the course of action.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Here is my take on VW denying leases (sorry for long post). Input appreciated ...

This is not really related to salvage titles which is the focus on this group, but as a FYI - VW is pulling a new stunt. So some salvages will be swept up.

If a car was leased, then they are refusing it all of a sudden. In the 2.0 documentation under eligible owner they really do not have much of a leg to stand on. On 3.0 it better for VW but not great - see below.

Basically, under 2.0 docs if a car was leased and you bought the car after your lease you are a eligible lessee not owner. That means no buyback. In 3.0 same thing except any 3rd party that buys it from you is also a eligible lessee. It is unclear if a 3rd party sells to another 3rd party if it is still included or how an auction hows.

Basically, if you buy a car that was a lease it will be a headache going forward. VW NEVER looked at this before. Now that they have 85% compliance and they get the cash from $10B pot after settlement, they are being sticklers.

Here is the issue - how do you know previous history of the car. A car might be 'leased' on an autocheck, but only VW Credit leases are affected.

According to stats I found, VW leased (and still does) 70 to 80 % of their cars. Remember sign and drive. Great deals. So if this was the case, then people would only get a few thousand instead of the buyback and thus no one would turn the cars in. I am not sure if they ignored this clause on purpose until they go to 85% or something else. Under VW new reject leases, there is no mechanism to get paid for fix. Where is FTC on this?

I do not think these clauses would stand up in court, but you do not get court. You get CRC which rules in favor of VW most of the time. Plaintiff counsel is also in collusion with VW in my opinion. Fighting the largest automaker in the world is a fools errand. Bottom line, avoid leased cars.

Here are specifics ...

Eligible owner in 2L settlement.

XX
Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of
September 18, 2015 and purchased the Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016 shall be an Eligible Lessee.

XXXX

Here is 3.0 Eligible owner :

3.0L Settlement Program, except that the owner
of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by a Covered Lessor at any point between
September 18, 2015, and November 2, 2015, (inclusive) and purchased the Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after January 31, 2017, shall be an Eligible Lessee. For avoidance of doubt, an Eligible Owner ceases to be an Eligible Owner if he transfers ownership
of the Eligible Vehicle to a third party after January 31, 2017; and a third party who acquires ownership of an Eligible Vehicle after January 31, 2017, thereby becomes an Eligible Owner if
that third party otherwise meets the definition of an Eligible Owner, unless the third party acquired the Eligible Vehicle from an Eligible Lessee, in which case that third party will be an
Eligible Lessee.

XXX

Note people are getting that had leases.
XXX
You are receiving this notification because you have submitted a claim for a VIN that was leased as of June 28, 2016 (2.0-liter vehicles) or January 31, 2017 (3.0-liter vehicles) and subsequently purchased. As such, the proper categorization for your claim is for an Eligible Lessee because you are the owner of a vehicle that had an active lease as of September 18, 2015 and/or November 2, 2015 and ownership of the vehicle was acquired by you or the prior owner after June 28, 2016 (2.0-liter vehicles) or January 31, 2017 (3.0-liter vehicles). In order for your claim to be processed you will need to re-classify as an Owner (Lease Convert). To prevent your claim from progressing in the incorrect class your Government-issued ID has been rejected from your claim with claim reference no. XXXXX. Please contact the Settlement Support Team at 1 844 98 CLAIM for assistance with resetting your claim and filing as an Owner (Lease Convert).

Volkswagen cannot continue to process your claim for this vehicle until you re-classify your claim.