Snow Snorkel

aberson

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4d Black/Tan
Old thread, but I'll add my experiences from doing this 30 minutes ago:

- I'd recommend a nut driver for the 2 bolts, instead of a ratchet. The bolt holding the filter box down in the front-passenger side, by the battery box, is really deep - I couldn't reach it with the 3" extension on my ratchet.

- As warned about, I dropped the nut holding the snorkel on. [Hopefully it's not jammed into any moving parts!!] I was able to conveniently replace it with a 1/4" nut I had lying around, I think it was course-thread. I'm not sure it was a perfect fit, but it looks pretty good. That nut isn't really doing anything anyway, maybe just reducing vibration on the snorkel. If you lose yours you could probably get away with a few wraps of thin wire or a twist-tie.

- My screen was about 25% crudded with gritty dirt, and some fuzzy stuff. The car is at 59k, but I bought it at 50k - doubt it's ever been cleaned before. I cleaned it by disassembling the snorkel and running my fingers over both sides of the screen.

Thanks again tdiclub!!
adam

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You can put something sticky in your socket to hold the nut from falling out in those hidden places down low. I'll use grease or pipe sealer sometimes. A small magnet in the socket works too on steel nuts.

--Nate

Deep Fried

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
I just cleaned mine - bought this 2001 golf with 205,000... don't know if it had ever been cleaned... but it was completley black and it took an old toothbrush, hot water and soap to get the stuff off... i had to 'poke' the toothbrush to get the more resiliant stuff.... I'm hoping i will notice a difference on the next tank... also, beware, there is a rubber gasket that seals the end of the snorkel to the intake from front of hood... i looked in with a flashlight and noticed it hanging next to the intake hole - glad i look as i may have just stuck the snorkel back in there and never noticed...

Also, when removing the bottom half of filter box... it is not necessary to remove the bolt - just spin it totally loose and let it 'sit' in the hole as you carefully lift the bottom half out... then remove it until you re-install the box... there is enough room to guide the bolt with you finger while you insert your socket to get your bolt started...

cheers, Deep Fried

Last edited:

Black Dung Beetle

TDI
2011 White Golf TDI
I took out my air filter housing and snorkle. There is no screen in the snorkle or in the socket I pulled it out of. I looked into the hole and there's nothing there. Do the 2004 Golf TDIs have this snowscreen?

Deep Fried

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
well... maybe your model has changed design, however, i don't believe if it was supposed to be there that it is not neccessary- it does catch debris - but it could also be argued that the regular air filter would get anything coming through... it may also be argued that more airflow could help with optimum engine performance... cheers, jake

Black Dung Beetle

TDI
2011 White Golf TDI
Yeah, there's nothing there. I use a K&N and a Fram while I clean it every 10K or so. I've never seen all that much crud in the bottom of the filter housing. There is a screen after the filter that the MAS is centered in. It doesn't make sense for that to be it.

Black Dung Beetle

TDI
2011 White Golf TDI
Last night I had a headlight bulb go out so I replaced them both. Guess what? It gave me yet another chance to find the elusive snow screen. It does not exist in my 2004 golf tdi.

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
My 2003 tdi wagon has no snow screen or trap door.Just a straight shot to the air box.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
[/IMG]

I have to clean mine every 2,500 miles... that's right every two thousand five hundred miles, because it's pasted shut with dust, dirt and such. I drive mostly highway and DO NOT tailgate... if you guys are going 20K, I can only imagine it's bypassing a long time (trap door)

Last edited:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I cleaned mine today after changing my air filter and finding an airbox with an (un)healthy coat of sand in the bottom.

The screen was 3/4 bocked with straw and the screen material itself was caked shut with what appears to be mud. I'm sure mine was bypassing.

I've got it cleaned up (must be the first time ever on this car - lol) and I'm looking forward to newfound power and economy.

The screen looks to me like an Outerwears filter on an ATV. I cleaned it up and plan on leaving it there.

Shawn

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 GTI S 6MT, Previous: 2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg
Drivbiwire said:
No truer words have ever been spoken:
DB
my 2004 snorkel has no screen . . . did some come without the screen portion of the snorkel?
If so, can one buy an insert?

thanks

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
rcracer said:
my 2004 snorkel has no screen . . . did some come without the screen portion of the snorkel?
If so, can one buy an insert?
thanks
bump . . . thanks

:)

Deep Fried

TDI
Golf 2001 TDI
Hey rcracer,

did you buy your car new or used, if used maybe the former owner removed the screen?

anyway, you could just buy some screen - get the proper 'micron' mesh (it's pretty fine but don't know the size) but you could most likely from a circular piece and push it in and it would hold if cut just a smidgen larger than the hole... it's there mainly to catch bigger stuff... very unlikely that you will have debris that will enter the intake... it would be caught by your airfilter...

hope this helps...

cheers,

jake

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
Deep Fried said:
Hey rcracer,

did you buy your car new or used, if used maybe the former owner removed the screen?

anyway, you could just buy some screen - get the proper 'micron' mesh (it's pretty fine but don't know the size) but you could most likely from a circular piece and push it in and it would hold if cut just a smidgen larger than the hole... it's there mainly to catch bigger stuff... very unlikely that you will have debris that will enter the intake... it would be caught by your airfilter...

hope this helps...

cheers,

jake
the snorkels that come with the screen have a "screw assembly"that holds in a screen . . .
my NEW '04 has/had a snorkel that has NO way to hold a screen in like the other snorkels that have the
assemble specific to hold a screen . . . . thanks

andrewspearns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDi Highline
Did this yesterday on my 03 w/104km on it, not sure if it was ever done before, but mine was completely blocked. When I held it up to the light none made it through.

What is the trap door for, bypass? The airflow is better I assume with a clean screen than the trap door opening...

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
I did this for the first time today on our '03 NB with 90k miles while a friend was helping replace the front brake pads/rotors. Not too gunked up, but not too pretty either. I did ponder removing it, but decided to go ahead and put it all back together.

Yes, that trap door is for bypass. My NSHO is that the spring tension is too high on it. And, as an engineer, I'm wondering why it doesn't have a contact switch on it to trigger an alert when it opens due to a blocked screen? With all the other gadgets on cars these days...that one would make a bit of sense, especially with the difficulty of access in the NB.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Baumeister said:
Yes, that trap door is for bypass. My NSHO is that the spring tension is too high on it. And, as an engineer, I'm wondering why it doesn't have a contact switch on it to trigger an alert when it opens due to a blocked screen? With all the other gadgets on cars these days...that one would make a bit of sense, especially with the difficulty of access in the NB.
That's exactly what I thought when I cleaned mine, why is that spring so strong...
And the trap door has holes (slots) in it, I don´t think it even opens unless both the screen and the holes are covered in snow or mud :confused:

John@daBeach

TDI
06 Jetta
OK, I'll jump in here after reading 4 pages of good info. I have not cleaned mine since the dealer has been doing the maintance under warranty since I bought it. Does the '06 Jetta have one? Where is it?

Thanks
John

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
My 2005 golf appears to not have one, unless its waayyyy down there behind the headlight and under the battery.

VWLAW

TDI
TDI New Beetle, 2003, Silver
'03 NB Snow Screen Advise Needed...

Baumeister said:
I did this for the first time today on our '03 NB with 90k miles while a friend was helping replace the front brake pads/rotors. Not too gunked up, but not too pretty either. I did ponder removing it, but decided to go ahead and put it all back together.
I'm getting all worked up about this "snow screen" and the amount of crap that must be done to get to it, since I have an '03 NB with 125k, and I haven't even looked at it yet. Do you have any advise/pixs that could help with this operation? Much appreciation in advance.

Cschoene

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Snow screen

Hey guys, just went to check my snow screen and clean up in general, my snorkel does not have a screen. Should I be concerned or will it be fine. Been driving it for about 10k miles and just found this. Air filter had 2 dead bees and and a small hand full of sand in it. Is this a part I can pick up from the auto store? Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not necessary. Replace at your option, it's just a coarse mesh in the bottom of the snorkel. It might catch pine needles and the like, but the bees and sand will make it thru anyway.

Nice use of a 16 year old thread!

Cschoene

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks man. This is my first TDI and I love it so I'm excited to dig into it. I have some small things to look into, but this a great forum. Thanks again.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Bees and sand don't make it through my snow screen. Mine's not a coarse mesh but an actual fine screen. Finer than a screen door's screen. I have heard that some of our cars don't come with one though.

It's recommended to use a "cold weather" air filter in the airbox, it has an extra layer, fiber pad. If you use one of those I wouldn't worry too much.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Yes. My 2005 Wagon has no snow screen, never had one (I bought it new). Surprised me, since it was purchased in NH....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Bees and sand don't make it through my snow screen. Mine's not a coarse mesh but an actual fine screen. Finer than a screen door's screen. I have heard that some of our cars don't come with one though.

It's recommended to use a "cold weather" air filter in the airbox, it has an extra layer, fiber pad. If you use one of those I wouldn't worry too much.
Interesting, my old 99.5 had a plastic grid, holes roughly 1/4". It was a long time ago, perhaps I'm misremembering. A fine screen would clog pretty easily.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Whew!
I'm back from not being able to post! Thank you Fred!!!
(Happened to update my email from a few isp's ago whilst trying to get the pic server to recognize my login...)
Bob,
You're right, my screen does clog easily. These pics are from 2014. First time I ever cleaned it (being ignorant for too long). Cleaned it again earlier this year, wasn't as bad this time.

Anyway, forgive this bump, testing pic server. Someone:rolleyes:
suggested that even though it's cumbersome, it's better to use pics.tdiclub.com if one wants his pics to remain available to the community...imgur is nice, but if someday I document my timing belt adventure, I want it to stay here.
I hope this works. Before and during maiden snowscreen cleaning:

To get a good view of the screen, you can zoom-click on imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/iUkMJRL