Dumb brake/cruise control switch

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Gees talk about making things complicated!
Is there a way , or what is the proper way to bench test the brake light switch ?
Yes , good bulbs no brake lights .
Code 00741 brake pedal implausible signal
I bought a new switch still nothing ...
Help ?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
With the switch in the car VDCS and the right measuring blocks (it will be on Ross-Tech's site) will let you watch both sides of the brake light switch in action and tell you exactly what the ECU is seeing.

On the bench, a multimeter on "ohms" or "continuity" will tell the tale... IIRC pins 1 & 4 are one switch, pins 2 & 3 are the other.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Take the switch out the holder, connect it then work it by hand and see if the lights work, might need to adjust it.

If I remember right I think the brake one also has the ratchet system like the clutch one, you pull it out and it finds it's own place once fitted.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It has a one time installation adjustment.... this is critical enough for proper operation that they include an instruction sheet in the package. If you do it wrong, it messes up the switch. No idea why they do it like that, but lots of manufacturers do.

The later cars have a totally different design on the master cylinder.

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
It has a one time installation adjustment.... this is critical enough for proper operation that they include an instruction sheet in the package. If you do it wrong, it messes up the switch. No idea why they do it like that, but lots of manufacturers do.
The later cars have a totally different design on the master cylinder.
Thank you Oil Hammer
I bought this car with the flashing light . I bought a new switch from ID and (thought) I installed it correctly . Still no lights .
I have checked and double checked the new wiring and bulbs . One thing though is all the grounds in the trunk area I tied to a single point . Just wondering if that would effect things .
This car is a 99.5 TDI . I made a UTE out of it . I have ordered another switch . I am going to hook up my vag-com and see what block 006 is saying right now . Then try to install the new switch .
When installing the new switch it is my understanding that the pedal has to be as far up as it can go . (?) the pedal when pushed up , only moves a very small amount .
Super frustrated because I only have such a limited amount of time to work on it .

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you check you are getting power to the brake light switch and going out of it when you step on the pedal?

If so you have to trace the wire to the back to see where it looses it.

Almost forgot.
On my car:
Pin 1 Red/Brown from fuse 13
Pin 4 Red/Black goes to the back. May be a splice mid way but I'm not sure where.

Last edited:

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Did you check you are getting power to the brake light switch and going out of it when you step on the pedal?

If so you have to trace the wire to the back to see where it looses it.

Almost forgot.
On my car:
Pin 1 Red/Brown from fuse 13
Pin 4 Red/Black goes to the back. May be a splice mid way but I'm not sure where.
Thanks for the help
It was dark out and I had forgotten a flashlight last night . I scrunched down there , disconnected the plug . Not sure if the colors cause it was dark but he one on the right (4 ?) has 12 volts to it . The wire on the left (1 ?) is the one that goes to the lights . I will try to find the right colors in the Bentley . I will put 12 volts to the correct out going wire , verify that the light work . The computer sends a signal , milliamps, through the lights so it knows they will work
IDK

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Hello
Just quick update .
I took the car to a local cruise night tonight. On the way home I was looking at that flashing brake light. I was thinking about what size piece of black tape I was going to put over it , and what type of micro switch I am going to get for a brake switch . A few miles later and I look again, and no more brake light flashing at me !! Wow ! I think , “ it fixed itself!” Perfect I love it when a car does that ! Alas though still no brake lights .
Any know why it stopped ? I do not .