TDI's in the winter- potential new owner questions

jonah111

TDI
2015 Golf
Hey everyone,

I’m considering a TDI Golf Sportwagen for my wife, but I live in western Michigan and am wondering about the amount of time it takes for the passenger area to warm up in the winter. She drives about 25k miles a year, but it’s not due to a long work commute. We’re in a rural area and her driving is 10-20 mile trips a few times a day trucking kids around and running into town for errands. It also involves some sitting & idling waiting for kids at bus stops or school events. I don’t want to buy a nice new car only to have her constantly being uncomfortable whenever the weather gets below freezing. Also, the model we’re looking at is an S, so no heated seats- the higher trim packages are $3-$5k more and I really don’t want a sunroof. Can anyone from up north tell me if it’s not that much of an issue or would I be better off with a gas vehicle in this type of situation? Thanks for any advice!

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
My wife also has a GSW and this was a concern because she is always cold. I looked into this and VW did a nice job designing a separate cooling loop for just the head + interior heat. The head warms up quickly and this separate loop then starts sending warm water to the in-car heat exchanger. It works very quickly. We live in Connecticut so it is probably not quite as cold as Michigan but we do get some pretty cold days and my wife has never complained.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I would not buy a diesel without heated seats. It would be worth the extra $$$ for that comfort feature and those new heated seats are really quick to warm up. Used them this morning and was impressed with how quickly they provided heat.

That said, if you manage to buy and S model I am sure there is a way to add some heated seats from another VW model, say a wrecked SEL. Then you'll have the best of everything, I think.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I would not buy a diesel without heated seats.
Couldn't agree more. This car will struggle to hold temperature at idle since it's only burning ~800mL/hr. I leave my fans on 0 and heat on and aimed at feet in the winter, if it's colder I'll turn the heat off to help warm the motor up. Imagine no heated seats in a diesel would hurt resale in your area as well.

If it's a concern and you're looking for another option, the MK7 1.8TSIs are very well equip and don't suffer much in the fuel economy department.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I would not buy a diesel without heated seats. It would be worth the extra $$$ for that comfort feature and those new heated seats are really quick to warm up. Used them this morning and was impressed with how quickly they provided heat.

That said, if you manage to buy and S model I am sure there is a way to add some heated seats from another VW model, say a wrecked SEL. Then you'll have the best of everything, I think.
The 3 features missing on my S (coming from the SE equivalent in the 09 Jetta TDI) are heated seats, sunroof and heated washer nozzles with low fluid alert. I can and will live without for that extra cost, it just isn't worth it. The moon roofs in the wagons STILL are, sadly, prone to having leaking issues (how the h they still haven't figured that one out, I just don't know) the the nozzle and low fluid, it's missing and confusing just how much they saved by not including. Lol

As for the seats, once the car is up to temp, unless she sitting for multiple hours, it's going to stay warm, hot enough for sure. My 06 TDI didn't have heated seats and it wasn't terrible, I did add a Frost Heater to it but I'm over it, car is up to temp in 5min which is when I get to the interstate. Worst case, add aftermarket heated covers or I'd imagine plug in diesels up there are pretty common and FrostHeater has been the go to for this. **I just discovered FrostHeater sells heated seat covers with no hard wiring needed.

We S guys can't add heated seats though, the ECM doesn't have the provisions for it BUT a little tid bit most people don't know is that the passenger seats all have the heating element built into the pressure pad. There is a thread somewhere about someone trying to retrofit, it's been a nightmare and hasn't really panned out at all.

No way would I walk away from a stop-sale car because of no heated seats, not now, as they are becoming like hens teeth and I absolutely love this ride!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
A grill cover is an excellent way to reduce the cooling efficiency of the radiator in Winter. IDParts has them.

In addition to the direct heat exchange circuit, VW added a thermostatically controlled clutch or something like that on the water pump. It helps the engine warm up quicker. Of course, it has to then begin spinning to circulate the water to the heat exchanger, but the combination helps.

That, plus heated seats and a grill cover = quick warmth!

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
The foam insulation for plumbing pipes works excellent instead of a grill cover. Cut it to size, push it in, done. Comes off in a hurry and only cost a few bucks at your local hardware store.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
They're fine. Worry thee not about this. I tape a piece of cardboard to the radiator for the winter months. I am not certain it helps, but I've also never seen the coolant temp go over 90C, and I monitor it with a vent pod. Enjoy the car. There is also a 1 kw electric heater that helps to warm the cabin air quickly and works well to keep pt warm, though not real warm.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The foam insulation for plumbing pipes works excellent instead of a grill cover. Cut it to size, push it in, done. Comes off in a hurry and only cost a few bucks at your local hardware store.
Getto Mod compared to ID Parts winter cover. It goes on and off in a jiffy too.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Tdi engines don't produce much waste heat so there is an electric heater that heats the interior air until the engine is warm. I have a 10 mile commute and it gets 30f here. Not as cold as Michigan but the car gets nice and warm inside just as fast as my wifes gasser due to the electric heater.i get warm after a couple minutes. Electric seats are a very nice feature.

If idle drops the coolant temp, electric heater kicks on again so here will always be heat available. I wouldn't worry about the cold, the vw Tdi was created in Germany where they know a thing or two about cold weather. They would have german over engineered the car for the cold.
They sell millions of cars in freezing cold rural Europe where people drive short trips (not like America. Europe is tighter and everything is closer and shorter trips)

For the rest of the year when it is warm, the Tdi is a blast to drive, especially when you get it tuned.

Also cover the grill. the pool noodle foam covers work well too if you do a search

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I've read conflicting reports that would indicate not all Mk7's came with the electric heater. I know you can read the build number to confirm. Going by that, mine does not have it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Heated steering wheel is the only thing left the wife was left wanting for. We were in a Kia Cee'd 1.6L diesel in Iceland for a week, it was a very nice option to have even though it wasn't that cold, 8-12C, got 4.5L/100KM to boot in about 1200KM.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've read conflicting reports that would indicate not all Mk7's came with the electric heater. I know you can read the build number to confirm. Going by that, mine does not have it.

cabin heater or coolant heater (block heater)?

Canadians used to get coolant heaters from the factory, I'm assuming the MK7 are the same.

All should have electric 1KW cabin heater that operates when coolant is bellow 160F or so, at least that's what it was on the pre'15s.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm referring to the cabin heater. I've read that on the Mk7's they weren't included in the NA models since the dedicated coolant loop for the heater core warms the cabin much faster than in previous generations.

I've also read that the auxillary cabin heater is available in Europe. It could be that it was omitted from NA due to cost cutting reasons (like the IRS).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=455347

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Heat in the car is REAL fast compared to my MK5, just got a cold spell and frost here. Those 3 coolant circuits really are ingenious.

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
New owner of a 2015 TDI S here in Minnesota and so far we have only had temps in 30 Fahrenheit range a couple of nights, but I was really impressed with how quickly the car started to warm up. I am not sure of the science behind it (electric heater or loop through the Head), but it was a great surprise.
Like the Original Poster, I did not want to shell out the extra $3k for the SEL model when all I wanted was heated seats.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
One way to check to see if your vehicle has the 1 KW cabin heater is to check your fuse box for an 80 amp fuse. If you have one, you have a 1 KW heater.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One way to check to see if your vehicle has the 1 KW cabin heater is to check your fuse box for an 80 amp fuse. If you have one, you have a 1 KW heater.

That and you can usually hear the relay clicking on and off if you're at idle and coolant is cold.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple of posters mentioned an ID Parts winter front cover. I'm not seeing one available for Mk7. Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?

https://www.idparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=winter+front
Call and ask them.....simple no secret handshake needed:cool:
I actually believe IDParts is pretty active in here and they have a stop-sale car as well. I think IndigoBlueWagon is closely affiliated. ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Be aware that since your state requires a front plate to be visible, many of the front covers would conceal your plate. You'd have to find another way to attach it. Good luck.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
If you really want heat in the winter do what the truckers do and install a Webasto coolant heater or cabin heater (Espar makes them too). They will keep the coolant hot and burn very little fuel doing it or blow hot air into the interior depending on which model you choose, I prefer hot coolant easier engine starts. They are worth the investment if you keep your car.
A heated steering wheel is the only thing VW is behind the times on, Audi and Mercedes have had them since the early 2000s. It is really nice, especially if you work outside.

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
I'm wondering if many of the northern climate MK7 drivers have felt the need to go with winter tires? I'm planning on trying first with the new all seasons that came with my Sportwagen to see if I need to put them on.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I have purchased a Webasto coolant heater for my car. It is the optional auxiliary heater that cold climates and countries get. It mounts in the right front fenderwell and hooks into the cooling system. I won't have the remote control option, but I plan on a timer instead. I may be able to turn it on as I am walking the dog and have a warm car by the time I am ready to go to work.
I have studless Hakkapeliitta tires mounted on rims and run them as soon as the snow flies. I got by all winter on them last year, but if the snow gets really bad and deep, I drive the S6 on Michellin Alpins.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
pdq did you get the factory developped Webasto that can be controled through the car? Or a stand alone one? I see in most of the world "parking heaters" are available and factory supported through the car electronics and wondering which way you went?
I have several Espar units that removed from Sprinters in the u pull yard, they were all factory units so not sure about the electronics working with a simple on off switch have not gotten that far yet..still waiting to take delivery of our new 2015 sportwagen tdi this whole process is killing us it is so slow (ricepoint and trading in our 2014).

Winter tires are a must in my world, you want whatever power put out to do something and not just spin. Good winters make a world of difference, they don't have to be squishy and soft, Nokian makes great snows that are extra load and handle very well but do consume a bit more fuel. Michelins consume the least but few sizes are extra load and they handle horrible, soft and no steering feel. Cheap winter tires offer very little over a good all season, best to get a top rated snow tire and enjoy it versus one that is a comromise and wears funny or is loud.