Easiest way to add some bass to stock 2010 stereo?

ajm80031

TDI
2010 Jetta
The stock 8 speaker stereo in my 2010 Jetta TDI sedan leaves something to be desired in the bass department. I want to improve that situation while keeping the stock head unit. What's the best bang for the buck here? I would imagine it would consist of replacing the stock speakers and/or adding a subwoofer.

From what research I've done on the 'net it looks like replacing the front speakers is problematic -- apparently there's a sensor for the side-impact airbags that prevents the use of deeper speakers. Rears may be easier to replace.

As far as adding a subwoofer, is that feasible with the stock head unit? I'm guessing that the VW stereo will not have an extra output to feed to a sub. If that's the case, how would one go about wiring one in?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
On the older Mk IVs you could recode the headunit to tell it it was in a wagon rather than a golf and that improved the bass.

The stock radios come preprogrammed with various sound curves, so you just fool it into thinking its in a larger car and it will raise the bass level slightly.

The new one is probably similar, so that may be a cheap tweek you can do.