www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 14th, 2018, 20:58   #1
itsmejerry
Veteran Member
Default 2015 NMS B7 Passat Brake Pad doesn't fit

I've ordered 2 sets of rear brake pads from 2 sources. Autozone and IDParts. Both were spec'd for the 2015 NMS/B7, but neither fit. I wrote off the Autozone ones as "Cheap knockoffs" when they didnt fit, but I'm surprised that the ID parts ones didnt fit and it made me think there was a mid-year change in Caliper sizes.

On both, the "ears" at the top of the pads were too wide to fit in the caliper.

Does anyone know if the 2015 had a mid-year change in production to a different caliper? I've seen something about a 253 mm rotor being used in earlier B7's, but the spec for my year should be a 272 mm.

Has Anyone else experienced this issue?
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:19   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

No issues yet but also haven't replaced anything. I'd imagine IDparts will help you out and prob be happy to correct their database system in the process.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 10:50   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Even though the NMS is a unique Passat for NA. I wonder if there are components such as brake pads from the B 8 which should be looked at.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2018, 23:33   #4
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

IDparts has been great. I have no issue with them. I mentioned them because they have been the source for 90% of my parts, and have had the right thing every time, so that's why it surprised me when the pads didn't fit.

I'll check tomorrow with the dealership to see if there's a VIN specific modification/change that was made after a certain production date on the 2015's. VW has been known to do that mid-year on certain things. But brake caliper tab width? I don't see the reason why they would.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 07:56   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Even though the NMS is a unique Passat for NA. I wonder if there are components such as brake pads from the B 8 which should be looked at.

The rear suspension of the NMS is off a Mk5, if anything it'd be older (cheaper) parts that would be compatible rather than newer parts, but just a guess. It might be rear calipers for the mk5/mk6 GTI that are on the Passat.

Even the mk5 cars had a split for rear rotor size, the parts bin is rather deep and surprised VW didn't go with the cheapest option.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 16:52   #6
robertgalka
Veteran Member

I ordered a a pair today from NAPA. They wanted to know if the car was made before or after June 1 2014, so I'm thinking that's when they changed. My car was made in 11/14, so hopefully they ordered the correct pads.

I'm surprised my rear pads wore out after 60,000 miles, mostly highway.
robertgalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 17:01   #7
PAJettaTDI

Please see my thread. I went through something like this just recently. Let me know if you need any more info.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493521

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post
I've ordered 2 sets of rear brake pads from 2 sources. Autozone and IDParts. Both were spec'd for the 2015 NMS/B7, but neither fit. I wrote off the Autozone ones as "Cheap knockoffs" when they didnt fit, but I'm surprised that the ID parts ones didnt fit and it made me think there was a mid-year change in Caliper sizes.

On both, the "ears" at the top of the pads were too wide to fit in the caliper.

Does anyone know if the 2015 had a mid-year change in production to a different caliper? I've seen something about a 253 mm rotor being used in earlier B7's, but the spec for my year should be a 272 mm.

Has Anyone else experienced this issue?
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 08:43   #8
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Yes, there are two different part numbers...

For vehicles manufactured up until 06/30/2014, and vehicles manufactured 07/01/2014 and later.
Old October 24th, 2018, 18:16   #9
PAJettaTDI

I just wanted to add, be careful when getting part numbers from the dealer. Mine used my VIN and still gave me the wrong pad numbers for the rear.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote