www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 19th, 2018, 09:35   #1
fr@nknb33n$

TDI(s): 2012 Golf
Fuel Economy: 40MPG
Default State of MA will start failing non-fixed TDI's

Just heard from a police officer in a large city who is an avid TDI enthusiast that if your TDI is not fixed you will automatically flunk inspection as the state will somehow know which cars have been fixed and not fixed. My guess is that VW is working with the states to communicate this information to them.

Problem is I cannot corroborate this information.

Has anyone heard the same or different? Please advise.

Not a concern for me, as I am participating in the buyback. But for those with modded engines and ECU's, a big concern. Or those that do not want to get "the fix".
fr@nknb33n$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:07   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr@nknb33n$ View Post
Just heard from a police officer in a large city who is an avid TDI enthusiast that if your TDI is not fixed you will automatically flunk inspection as the state will somehow know which cars have been fixed and not fixed. My guess is that VW is working with the states to communicate this information to them.

Problem is I cannot corroborate this information.

Has anyone heard the same or different? Please advise.

Not a concern for me, as I am participating in the buyback. But for those with modded engines and ECU's, a big concern. Or those that do not want to get "the fix".

If true, this is not what the settlement terms were announced to be. I have a fixed car, so it doesn’t concern me directly, but I don’t think the goal posts should be moved.

As to “how would somebody know,” that’s easy, they just look for the compliance sticker under the hood of the car, that is added when the fix is done.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:37   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Did MA accept the settlement money? If not they can do what they want. Only those that took the money have to comply with the court settlement. You can always get the fix and then revert. Then the stickers are in place and VW will also show you as fixed. Don't know if OBDII will give you away though or emissions testing.

Well they took the money so they must comply.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/volkswag...tal-mitigation

From the settlement agreement:

"As part of the settlements, every state, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, has agreed that it will not deny registration based solely on the specific emissions issue covered by the settlement agreements."

But MA seems to think there are only 2 choices. From their web site:

"If you purchased or leased an affected Volkswagen or Audi vehicle with a 2.0-liter diesel engine or Volkswagen, Audi or Porsche vehicle with a 3.0-liter diesel engine, the court-approved partial settlements give you the option of either:

Selling it back to Volkswagen (VW) or terminating your VW lease without penalty, or
Bringing your vehicle to a local VW dealer for an Approved Emissions Modification."

They seem to have forgotton:

Do nothing and leave it as is.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; September 19th, 2018 at 10:44.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:29   #4
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

^^As a practical matter I highly doubt they either a) have a list provided by VW, or b) any way to tell whether the ECU has been altered. I’m also under the impression that detecting levels of NOx is not a feature of their diagnostic equipment, just CO2 and CO.

That leaves the sticker under the hood. Or a check engine light fault, I suppose.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 08:08   #5
autdi
Veteran Member

The practical issue is you need an alternate car to use while fighting the fail, if they go that route. All depends on how fast you can get the suit heard and resolved.
TDI Buyback: 2014 Beetle TDI
autdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 08:53   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I seriously doubt this information is correct. First, I don't think VW is reporting what cars are (and more important, aren't) fixed to individual states. Second, what Lightflyer1 said. Third, all emissions stations in MA do is look for hardware readiness.

My non-fixed '15 passed MA inspection in April. I don't anticipate any problems in the future. Nor do I expect to return to the dealer at any time.
Old September 28th, 2018, 03:09   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Sounds like bs. Not all cops have a great grasp of the law.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 06:28   #8
eli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51

It does sound like the sort of thing MA would do. A cop TDI enthusiast would probably be on top of it. One way to avoid the issue is to sell VW TDI and buy Chevy Cruze Diesel LT for $17260 OTD via "red tag" or other occasionally-available incentives. That's $9K less than I paid for my 2006 jetta TDI .
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:01   #9
demagxc
Veteran Member

"Its something MA would do" is said all the time whenever there is a rumor that MA is going to do something that's against the law, goes against a previous agreement, or just plain controversial. 99% of the time it never happens. Unless the state is going to violate the terms of their settlement with VW, they cant refuse registration period. All of the meeting notes for the Massachusetts VW settlement committee meetings are available online and there is no mention of blocking registration or failing inspections. If anything, it looks like everyone who can get a piece of the cash wants a piece. No way they are going to risk having to give it back just to get a handful of cars off the road.
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:49   #10
akjdouglass
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli View Post
It does sound like the sort of thing MA would do. A cop TDI enthusiast would probably be on top of it. One way to avoid the issue is to sell VW TDI and buy Chevy Cruze Diesel LT for $17260 OTD via "red tag" or other occasionally-available incentives. That's $9K less than I paid for my 2006 jetta TDI .
Trade a dirty hot dog for a clean turd? No thanks.

akjdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:53   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by demagxc View Post
"Its something MA would do" is said all the time whenever there is a rumor that MA is going to do something that's against the law, goes against a previous agreement, or just plain controversial. 99% of the time it never happens.
I agree with this. It also gives MA more credit than they deserve for figuring out how to determine what cars are and are not fixed. Only way I can think of is if they flagged VINs and cross-referenced them with VWoA's records. Imagine how accurate that would be. There's nothing in the ECU inspection process that can determine whether or not a car is fixed. I'm certain of that.
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:54   #12
sriracha
Veteran Member

I thought if you got the fix, they put a sticker in the engine bay, showing it was fixed? All they’d have to do is have a smog technician look for the sticker during visual inspection, and fail the car if there was no sticker.
sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 11:59   #13
740GLE
Veteran Member

FYI cops lie

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows some on at the RMV and this is soo fake news.

75 million says MA is very happy with those dirt diesels, they've already spend the blood money 5 ways till Sunday.

Last edited by 740GLE; September 28th, 2018 at 12:03.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 12:05   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demagxc View Post
"Its something MA would do" is said all the time whenever there is a rumor that MA is going to do something that's against the law, goes against a previous agreement, or just plain controversial. 99% of the time it never happens. Unless the state is going to violate the terms of their settlement with VW, they cant refuse registration period. All of the meeting notes for the Massachusetts VW settlement committee meetings are available online and there is no mention of blocking registration or failing inspections. If anything, it looks like everyone who can get a piece of the cash wants a piece. No way they are going to risk having to give it back just to get a handful of cars off the road.

MA is the CARB of the east, look at the manipulations of the electric markets, they are the tip of the spear.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 12:29   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Population too low to be of any consequence. California is different in that regard. 40 million vs 7 million.