www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old July 28th, 2018, 17:41   #46
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post
If I bought this car after it had phase 1 done already, what do I do to get phase 2? Just call a my local VW dealer and set it up?
Was your car previously owned with the original owner opting for the VW buy-back? If so, then yes, call your local VW dealer (with the VIN handy) and have them check to ensure their records say Phase 2 is available for it, and have the odometer reading handy so they know what set of Phase 2 kits to get.

If your car had Phase 1 done by an original owner, then you bought it, you may be eligible for some restitution payment with your Phase 2 emissions fix. If this is the case, you will want to submit a claim on the emissions settlement portal to get a decision regarding your eligibility for part of a restitution payment. If you care not to pursue this possibility in this scenario, then do as the previous paragraph stated.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:54   #47
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
Was your car previously owned with the original owner opting for the VW buy-back? If so, then yes, call your local VW dealer (with the VIN handy) and have them check to ensure their records say Phase 2 is available for it, and have the odometer reading handy so they know what set of Phase 2 kits to get.

If your car had Phase 1 done by an original owner, then you bought it, you may be eligible for some restitution payment with your Phase 2 emissions fix. If this is the case, you will want to submit a claim on the emissions settlement portal to get a decision regarding your eligibility for part of a restitution payment. If you care not to pursue this possibility in this scenario, then do as the previous paragraph stated.

I assume the car was a buyback. I bought it from a non-VW dealer and it already had phase 1 done. I figured I wouldn't be getting any money, and it was confirmed this week when I got an email from VW saying I wasn't eligable for any restitution. I'm fine with that, as I know what I was buying. I'm just thinking about getting phase 2 done in the next month or two. I just didn't know if I called my local VW dealer or if there was another process to do so.

Thanks.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2018, 13:28   #48
rhammerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman View Post
My golf is getting the phase two done. Might get it back Saturday, but I bet it won't be done for a few days yet. Been in since Wednesday.
Any luck? I'd love to know your impression when you are back in the driver's seat.
rhammerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2018, 08:36   #49
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

I'll be bringing my '15 Passat 6-speed in on August 6th, 2018. I was told they would need it for two days.
I'm at 45,000 miles. Right in between oil change interval. I'm going to ask if they will let me take the filter and oil with me, if not at least give me a coupon to have it done at 50,000 miles no charge.
Will report back on the fix results and oil request.
Old July 30th, 2018, 12:46   #50
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

Just received a call from my VW dealer. Was told that a part needed for P2 is on national back order. Could be up to a month before the part is available?
Seems strange VW could not anticipate the demand based on the Phase one takers?
Will follow up with new developments.
Old August 1st, 2018, 20:00   #51
Doctor_Nevin

Fuel Economy: 49 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
Just received a call from my VW dealer. Was told that a part needed for P2 is on national back order. Could be up to a month before the part is available?
Seems strange VW could not anticipate the demand based on the Phase one takers?
Will follow up with new developments.
I went to schedule my phase 2 appointment back in June for the end of July, they've since cancelled my appointment and told me that I've been put on a waiting list for parts, so the national back order makes sense now.
Doctor_Nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 04:42   #52
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

I scheduled my Phase 2 appointment earlier this week (my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium only has 19,000 miles on it now), and they set me up for mid-August. Likely because the additional NOx sensor is not one of the parts VW is running short of (at the moment).
Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:26   #53
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

Long story short- I have driven TDI's since... Forever, and rack up LOTS of miles on them.

I purchased 4 2015 TDI's (2 Passats, a Golf Wagon and a Beetle Convertible), after the phase 1 fix, and the repeal of the "Stop Sale". I sold back 2. (2011 and 2013 Jetta Sportwagens), prior to buying the 4. I know how they feel when they drive.

I have LOTS of pre-and post- Phase2 fix miles to give some great data.

I drive Uber with one of my TDI's. 200-400 miles per day 6 days a week. It's been 20k miles since my phase 2 fix, and I've noticed no decrease in MPG's, and a slight change in shifting between 2 and 3rd gear. The engine seems to momentarily lag after the shift, as though it hit an air bubble in the fuel line. (It hasn't).

Phase 2 also reflashed the DSG transmission, so It's worth noting the change.

Also, I've noticed My DEF (Ad Blue) use is marginally higher, but I still have no problem making it to 10k oil change interval with the Ad Blue. (Although now my 1500 mile DEF countdown starts around 9000 miles after topping off the 5 gallon DEF tank, whereas before it didnt come on until I was right at 10k miles since adding it.

Pre-Phase 2 miles- 58,000. 40 mpg combined driving.

Post Phase 2 miles 19,800- 41 mpg combined driving

Best tank- Pre-Phase 2 fix- 810 miles. Alabama to Colorado all- interstate drive.

Best Tank Post- Phase 2 fix- 833 miles Alabama to Colorado- all-interstate drive Given that the engine had more miles on it, I'll pretty much call this a tie, since the looser engines always give better mpgs.

Interesting fact: the new phase 2 seems to like higher cetane as I've found that Bio-blends and "Cheap" diesel (Racetrack Station, Pilot Truck Stop (B-20 blend) netted 38 mpg several times, Whereas Shell Diesel gets over 42 every tank.

Adding 8 ozs of Power Service fuel treatment adds up to 4 mpg as well.

Overall Impressions:

Phase 2 fix engines seem to like higher cetane, and better quality fuel.

They use just a bit more DEF.

There is (maybe) a lag in 2nd to 3rd low-speed shifting, but Sport and Manual mode don't experience this. EDIT: 8/5/18 It seems that it's a very rare occurance, and only under very specific situations. (almost putt-putting around scanning downtown streets for Uber Passengers). I don't think it's a real issue.

Overall-- I'd say statistically, all things considered- NOTHING has changed when comparing pre- and post Phase 2 performance and mpg's.

Last edited by itsmejerry; August 5th, 2018 at 00:58.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:15   #54
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

itsmejerry, your response is exactly what I was seeking.

Only question is, regarding the change noticed in shift from 2 to 3, is what is changed the engine response? Is the engine speed at shift changed at all (engine speed a little faster before the up-shift)?

Also, you didn't mention much about perceived torque/power/performance - have you noticed anything different along those lines?
Old August 3rd, 2018, 13:51   #55
Chiroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post

Phase 2 fix engines seem to like higher cetane, and better quality fuel.

Interesting note on the better fuel quality. The Gen 1 Emissions mod documents mention that poor fuel quality may cause engine noise to be higher. However, fuel quality is not mentioned in the Gen 3 mod, only stating that fuel mileage should not be effected. Did you notice any improvement in throttle response and smoother acceleration with the DSG as VW claims after the phase 2 fix?

Just a note about biodiesel: My owners manual for both my old '09 JSW, and my '15 GSW indicated that a maximum of B5 is allowed. There is however, an allowance for specific states that mandate B20. The common rail diesels do not like anything over B5. I go with B-zero if possible!
Chiroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2018, 05:19   #56
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
itsmejerry, your response is exactly what I was seeking.

Only question is, regarding the change noticed in shift from 2 to 3, is what is changed the engine response? Is the engine speed at shift changed at all (engine speed a little faster before the up-shift)?

Also, you didn't mention much about perceived torque/power/performance - have you noticed anything different along those lines?
Also, were all your Phase 2 fixes involve all hardware (2a + 2b), or just the NOx sensor plus ECU & DSG flashes (2a only so far)?
Old August 4th, 2018, 12:56   #57
cgreene92

Fuel Economy: 15 Passat was 51 mpg on Interstate; 06 Jetta 6sp was great! best was 59.2. 2010 JSW is wide and varied 37 to 49

Itsmejerry - Great info. I haven't been on the page in several years, but.... I just picked up a CPO 15 Passat SEL Premium TDI, making it my 5th TDI. I really appreciate all the good info in the forum. Looking forward to getting some miles on it and posting updates.

Be safe,

C
cgreene92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 01:02   #58
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

To answer the questions:

Yes- the throttle is more responsive now. I noticed that when comparing my fixed and non-fixed Passats. It seems to be less "sloppy" and each movement of the accelerator seems to coincide with an exact fuel delivery output. Whereas before, there could be a bit more movement before noticing any change in accelerating or decelerating.

The Phase 1 fix was a computer reflash of some kind done before VW could sell them.

The phase 2 was a hardware fix with DPF assembly, as well as a few other hardware things. I'll have to look on the sticker to determine what exactly, but the sticker under the hood says "Emission Modification Complete" and has 3 checked boxes.

Im under the impression that this was the final fix. So, I've had ALL the changes done.

You're right ChiroMan- B20 is not recommended. I will avoid it. Thankfully Ive only filled up once there, didnt like the results and haven't gone back.

Shifting: Maybe it's more in my head than real, but...

The 2nd to 3rd shift issue only seems to occur when I'm motoring about with a very light pedal, The best way to describe it is if I were to take my foot off the accelerator and put it down again, right before the shift. it isn't present in normal to hard accelerations or sport mode, and certainly goes away when in manual mode. I wanted to mention it originally, but now that I think about it, I think it's more a function of the car trying to match gear synchronization at low speeds than a fault or glitch.

There has been NO change in power or hill climbing ability, fully loaded with 5 people, at low speed or high speed. There is no discernible difference at all.

I even had the 2 Passat's fixes several weeks apart so I could drive one fixed and one unfixed on the exact same road, the exact same way during the week after I got my first Passat fixed. I noticed nothing different about the cars.

I'll post updates as I climb in mileage, as I rack up about 1000 miles per week. Perhaps this car will provide great data for everyone.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 16:35   #59
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

So far I have not noticed any big changes. I think it is a bit more precise and the fuel economy remains pretty much excellent. Mine was in the shop from a Wednesday to a Tuesday. For a rental, I had a 1.8T 2017 Passat S with a mere 3900 miles on the clock when I got it.
Old August 6th, 2018, 16:11   #60
Notch 8

My car is a 2015 TDI Sportwagon with 28K miles on it. I bought it as a CPO vehicle with Phase 1 already having been done. Just got it back from the Phase 2 work and it's not the same car. It was very sluggish when I drove it out of the dealer service department especially in the mid-range. I put around 20 miles on it at different throttle settings and after a time the low end off-idle acceleration improved quite a bit but still wasn't the same as before Phase 2. (They told me that the computer will adapt to driving styles to a degree, not sure if that's true but seems to be) The worst is the mid-range response which has yet to improve. The throttle that used to seem so "bright" now feels dead in normal driving in the 35-70 mile per hour range. The car simply won't accelerate unless I nearly floor it and then it downshifts to the point where I'm accelerating harder then I want to and I have to back off. It used to stay in 6th and pull away with no problem. At first I thought it might be extreme turbo lag but now I don't think so. It's as though VW decided to program the torque out of the engine except in the higher RPM ranges. Downshifts are now the name of the game.

At this point I've talked the situation over with the service manager who agreed that some Phase 2 cars do have this problem (some worse than others) but that there was no fix for it. I contacted VOA and they referred me to a regional service rep. I just got off the phone with a the rep who told me there was nothing that could or would be be done. Period. I'm not going to live with this as it's not the car I purchased. To those who have had a good experience with Phase 2 I congratulate you. Just keep in mind that there those of us who aren't so fortunate. By the way, this is my third TDI wagon, 2 DSG's and one manual so I'm very familiar with them.
Notch 8 is offline   Reply With Quote