www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 15th, 2018, 11:33   #16
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder
 
Hamsterdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NH
Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVM62 View Post
I have a manual transmission with the Phase two fix and I m very happy with it.
Car has more low end torque and will pull from idle, its still zippy on the highway. Happy I did the fix even though it took 11 days.

11 days? Wow... did they say why?
__________________
BUG*PWR 2008
2015 Passat SE 6spd Reflex Silver
1999 Golf - ...gone, but not forgotten!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 18:44   #17
tomo366
TDI Lifer
 
tomo366's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1997
Location: Kensington, Maryland USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel View Post
11 days? Wow... did they say why?
My Car has been there for 6 days and they still haven’t gotten the parts yet...
__________________
My page is Dedicated to the Memory of
Christopher Farnham RIP my friend!
Great friend and supporter of TDICLUB
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!

Last edited by tomo366; July 26th, 2018 at 19:22.
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 21:01   #18
AVM62
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel View Post
11 days? Wow... did they say why?
They said they were doing nine cars at a time with three technicians, they were not allowed to order parts until the car was in the shop.
__________________
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed manual
1983 GMC/NuWa G-3500 6.2 Diesel 23'RV
Past Diesels: 1980 MB 240D 4 speed manual,1985 MB 300D TurboDiesel,1992 & 1994 Chevrolet C-2500HD 6.5 DieselTurbo,2010 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6 speed manual
AVM62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:17   #19
epssax
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Fuel Economy: 2015 Jetta, 41.5 mpg, suburban driving
Default Bought with phase I fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
Did you have the phase 1 fix done at the same time or are these changes just from the phase 2 fix?

I purchased it new with the phase I already. The car just doesn't have the 'grunt' and pulling power it had before. If I'm in 6th gear(DSG) and push down on the pedal it downshifts into 5th. Before it would use its ample torque to accelerate in an impressive manner.



I really miss that torque! I could be humming along at 60 and push down on the accelerator and in rapid time I'd be doing 70 with NO downshift. At 2000 RPM the motor USED to have its max torque. Now I can't tell because it downshifts just like a WEAK gas engine!
epssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:43   #20
93celicaconv
Veteran Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epssax View Post
I purchased it new with the phase I already. The car just doesn't have the 'grunt' and pulling power it had before. If I'm in 6th gear(DSG) and push down on the pedal it downshifts into 5th. Before it would use its ample torque to accelerate in an impressive manner.



I really miss that torque! I could be humming along at 60 and push down on the accelerator and in rapid time I'd be doing 70 with NO downshift. At 2000 RPM the motor USED to have its max torque. Now I can't tell because it downshifts just like a WEAK gas engine!
Why don't you try putting the shifter in manual mode when in 6th gear, then at 60 MPH do your acceleration process and see what it feels like to get to 70 MPH. I'm thinking the change is in the transmission flash, not in engine capability (torque/power).

Let us know what your impression is after trying this change.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 22:51   #21
epssax
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Fuel Economy: 2015 Jetta, 41.5 mpg, suburban driving
Default Good advice and I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
Why don't you try putting the shifter in manual mode when in 6th gear, then at 60 MPH do your acceleration process and see what it feels like to get to 70 MPH. I'm thinking the change is in the transmission flash, not in engine capability (torque/power).

Let us know what your impression is after trying this change.

I got the car up to around 60 mph and put my DSG tranny into manual mode. I stepped down on the accelerator and a VERY slow acceleration to 70 mph. This car is NOT the SAME CAR I brought into to get the phase 2 done. I am disappointed to say the least. I drove the 1.4 gas jetta last summer and my car acts like a small engined gas car where all the power comes from revving the engine up. This is not the way my 2009, 2012, and 2015 were! They had gobs of TORQUE.


I took it back to my VW service dept. Service advisor said they've done all they can do with it. Said they hooked my car up to a computer online and they reprogrammed my cars computer. Well they also put some hardware on it, and because of a CEL regarding adblue they replaced that hardware and later the adblue injector to turn the CEL off. Maybe this is a factor?



On a side note, I have averaged 41-43 mpg in suburban driving for 14,000 miles using fuelly software. My first tankful was 35 mpg and my second tankful was 39 mpg.



I am going to start making calls and writing emails to try to get my car straightened out. I have owned and driven 18 diesel VW's for 34 years. I would like to get the performance back for my Jetta I've owned for a year.
epssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 04:47   #22
93celicaconv
Veteran Member
Default

I got the feel from most who had Phase 2 done on their 2015 2.0L EA288 diesel engines that the car felt like it had more pep, more low end torque, and accelerated quicker than it did with Phase 1 only, and also got slightly better fuel economy after Phase 2. Yours sounds like it is acting opposite the general trend. That is unfortunate. Maybe someone who had a similar result as yours has a success story to tell about how they got the problem resolved.
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 08:15   #23
epssax
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Fuel Economy: 2015 Jetta, 41.5 mpg, suburban driving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
I got the feel from most who had Phase 2 done on their 2015 2.0L EA288 diesel engines that the car felt like it had more pep, more low end torque, and accelerated quicker than it did with Phase 1 only, and also got slightly better fuel economy after Phase 2. Yours sounds like it is acting opposite the general trend. That is unfortunate. Maybe someone who had a similar result as yours has a success story to tell about how they got the problem resolved.

That is exactly what I thought. Something is amiss in my re-tune. Now to get someone to listen to me at VWofA!
epssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:37   #24
Hill Billy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Charleston, WV
TDI(s): 2015 Jetta
Default

I had Phase 2 done last week. On my first fillup since done. Can't tell a lot about it yet. We are going to North Carolina first of next week, From my house to beach house is 460 miles. Been averaging 48/50 on highway. Will report when we get back---
Stay Tuned?
Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 13:11   #25
bizzle
Veteran Member
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epssax View Post
That is exactly what I thought. Something is amiss in my re-tune. Now to get someone to listen to me at VWofA!
From your description it sounds like you put it into manual mode but didn't downshift. When you put it into manual mode, it'll be in whatever gear auto mode had it in, which has always been a gear or two higher than what it needs to be to get the engine response you're looking for, in my experience.

Try this: when you flip it over to manual mode, downshift (pull the shifter toward your elbow) once or twice and then see if you don't feel that grunt you are expecting. You don't have to wait until you get up to 60mph. This should be apparent from a stop.

After phase 2, mine is behaving much closer to my unfixed 2012.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 13:40   #26
bitslop
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Indiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
From your description it sounds like you put it into manual mode but didn't downshift. When you put it into manual mode, it'll be in whatever gear auto mode had it in, which has always been a gear or two higher than what it needs to be to get the engine response you're looking for, in my experience.
Try this: when you flip it over to manual mode, downshift (pull the shifter toward your elbow) once or twice and then see if you don't feel that grunt you are expecting. You don't have to wait until you get up to 60mph. This should be apparent from a stop.
After phase 2, mine is behaving much closer to my unfixed 2012.
I think not downshifting was his intent, though - from what I understand he said, the "old" behavior was that while holding it in 6th, his car had enough torque and power to have decent acceleration up to 70. Sounds like now he does have to downshift, and needing to downshift is the exact behavior he does not like.
bitslop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 14:10   #27
epssax
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Fuel Economy: 2015 Jetta, 41.5 mpg, suburban driving
Default

Bitslop has it correct. I want to stay in 6th and push the accelerator down and have the torque of the engine do it. My TDI used to have gobs of torque and now it doesn't feel like the same car. Some engines develop torque by revving up. Diesel engines are naturally torque engines. I don't want it downshifting all the time. I just have to find the right person at VWofA and convince them!
epssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 14:18   #28
bizzle
Veteran Member
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Default

I re-read your earlier posts and saw what you were trying to do.

Your car seems to be acting different from the rest of ours if it seemed to have more torque post phase 1 than it does post phase 2.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:41   #29
epssax
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Fuel Economy: 2015 Jetta, 41.5 mpg, suburban driving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
I re-read your earlier posts and saw what you were trying to do.

Your car seems to be acting different from the rest of ours if it seemed to have more torque post phase 1 than it does post phase 2.

You are correct. In fact, mine is a DOG in 6th gear for accelerating. And I've lost 3-4 mpg. They did some hardware R&R and then on a 2nd visit had to fix my adblue injector. Somewhere along the way they messed up my car.
epssax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2018, 05:35   #30
Ripster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Westmister, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epssax View Post
That is exactly what I thought. Something is amiss in my re-tune. Now to get someone to listen to me at VWofA!
I have the same complaints as you. I had a 2014 Passat and loved the power/torque. Recently purchased a 2015 CPO Passat SEL DSG and this thing is a turd! Zero low-end grunt. I had it at the dealer for MD state inspection and the service agent said Phase II was completed on it back in May 2018. She also said she is hearing the loss of power and mileage complaint from numerous customers.

Please keep this thread updated with any corrective measures. If I can't get mine fixed, I'm going to have to download a tune for it.
Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc. Snowyroad Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 319 November 9th, 2018 13:05
2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 ddorrer Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 432 November 8th, 2018 11:21
Gen 3, Phase 2 Fix Zoso VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 7 May 11th, 2018 16:05
2015 Gen 3 Phase 2 Status? ddorrer Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 4 March 19th, 2018 10:35
Gen 3 Phase 1 fix, Test drive impressions bevo_7 Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 22 June 5th, 2017 22:09


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17772 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 133.54 Kb. compressed to 112.64 Kb. by saving 20.90 Kb. (15.65%)]